Journeyman III

3950X High Idle Temperature with Corsair H150i Pro

System Configuration

Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi (X570) Latest BIOS

CPU: AMD 3950X

Memory: 64GB GSkill Tident Z Neo 3600MHz 16-19-19-39

GPU: EVGA Nvidia 980

CPU Cooler is Corsair H150i Pro AIO

3950X Idle Temp of 55-60C with H150i Pro AIO. Note that Core 1 is always running >4.3GHz on default settings which I believe is causing the higher temps (as Ryzen Master will report the warmest CPU) - this means my fans are constantly fluctuating between lower and higher RPM which causes a highly irritating pulsating noise.

Additional Observations:

• All mobo settings are default. PBO disabled currently.
  • PPT, TDC, EDC are default set to 142W / 140 A / 140 A respectively and when I run Cinebench R20, these max out to 100% - the CPU temp raises to 60C. It scores around 8800pts with this. It runs at no more than around 4000MHz across all cores due to the PPT TDC EDC limits (throttling?)
  • When I alter PPT TDC EDC to 395W / 255 A / 255 A - I can score up to around 10100 pts, and the temp raises to around 98C with all cores running at around 4.325MHz. This is overkill and not my intended overclock, not at those temps
  • When idle with default settings for PPT TDC EDC - Core 1 is usually 4.3GHz or higher. Core Voltage is usually 1.4V or higher
  • Idle temps when I increase the PPT TDC EDC lower to around 40C, as Core 1 doesn't run at a constant 4.3GHz+
  • If I go into power management within windows and set min and max processor state to 1%.... every core reduces to around 2GHz - the temps lower to around 30C. With this setting, the temps raise to around 50-55C when I run cinebench and it scores around 5000pts sustaining the 2GHz speeds - this makes sense from a clock speed scaling point of view considering 4GHz+ scores around 9000-10000pts.
  • Latest BIOS, latest chipset drivers
  • Reseated heatsink for AIO three times. Using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste

What I want

• idle to run at low voltage, low core speed which will give CPU temps of around 30-40C
  • Load to run at a speed to achieve around 9500-10000 pts in Cinebench with no more than 85C. This is around 4.2GHz across all cores, 1.4V and will peak at around 85C in terms of heat.
  • Uniform scaling between the two states - based on load

I have spent the best part of three days restarting into BIOS and tweaking settings... I feel like I'm nearly there, apart form this constant "Core 1 running @4.3GHz" which is causing the temp reading to be a constant 55C+, which causes constant fan noise/a loud machine/higher power consumption. I don't think I need core 1 at 4.3GHz when browsing the internet. I am unable to find other reports of this behaviour across the internet.

Is this achievable?

Screenshots and further info at the ready.

0 Likes
18 Replies
charizard
Journeyman III

Re: 3950X High Idle Temperature with Corsair H150i Pro

one thing I can do is set profile in Ryzen Master - 4.2GHz all cores... core voltage at 1.25V... this achieves the below thermals and Cinebench scores - all which seem great (though note the PPT /TDC / EDC %'s in second image) - but I need to achieve this via the BIOS, not via Ryzen Master (which settings seem to go after a restart?).

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.pngpastedImage_3.png

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

charizard, all your posted temperatures are well withing the Max Temps of 95C and it looks you won the jackpot in the silicon gamble.  Please let me know if you would like to know how to eliminate the RED meters in RM - hint read the RM manual.  Thanks and enjoy, ,John.

0 Likes
charizard
Journeyman III

thanks. Yes I want to know how to eliminate the red meters in RM if you are referring to the PPT TDC and EDC, when these hit or exceed 100%, my scores are lower due to a plateau being hit, throttling... and the temps stay around 60-65C. I can modify these settings in profile 1 when using PBO setting, or in the BIOS which then allows the chip to run wild til the point it fails due to instability or overheating. If you have another way or can offer me a better understanding of these values please do that. I've checked the manual!

My processor can sustain 4.325GHz all cores to achieve Cinebench scores of around 10060 pts and can do this at 1.35V. It crashes when I go to 4.4GHz. I think that is evidence of a good chip, but I stress - I cannot get good idle temps - I'm seeing 50C and I've tried so many configurations. I'm very keen on 30-40C idle temps and I can get them if I do some crazy settings like power plan modifications to 1% min/max - but then I lose performance at the other end. I think I should be able to have the CPU scale and draw power based on demand.

0 Likes
criz
Journeyman III

I was able to get my idle temps to 28-30c with ECO mode, and turning off half the cores.
It also increased FPS in games a bit, as i chose the fastest cores to remain active, and they turbo better with more thermal headroom.
I do this for when I'm not rendering/encoding. Temps stay low while working too.

Even with ECO mode on, I was hitting the same R20 scores as you - with all 16 cores. (non-OC scores)

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

charizard, 50Cs are great temperatures.  Lower temperatures will require lower ambient temperature, better CPU cooler and better air flow in you system.  What is your ambient?  The chip is rated and 95C maximum!  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
s1ilver
Journeyman III

About idle, do you have installed icue? Corsair haven't fixed idle problem and icue doesn't allow core sleep and idle voltages to drop. Also use amd power plan. If you change power plan setting to 1% if freak out and actually idles higher. If I remember correctly amd power plans comes with chipset drivers or RM. Not sure. 

Under PBO you only add max limits, do not use these pbo profiles, these can auto overclock cpu and strage thins start to happen If it doesn't handle temps without limits and you haven't overclocked your cpu then cooling isn't enough.  

Corsair 150i is not best also, It did have bad time with my 9900k, high temp spikes and high temps overall, my d15 does same work but more silent maybe i had bad 150i 

Also bad overclock settings doesn't allow sleep. 

If you want I can show my bios settings how to remove these limits but its your fault if you burn your cpu, there are lot of cores, cant help you with all core overclock in bios. I play a lot and I haven't any gains with all core boost. I have only disabled my power limits and I get from my 3700x 4.4ghz single core boost

0 Likes
gzurp
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have nearly the same problem .

32gb trident royal z, 16 18 18 36

3950x

asus crosshair viii hero wifi

bios 1201

I have 9310 cinebench (by putting amd power plan in windows 10) and 510 in single cpu. The boost is rarely at 4500mhz. In game, it's 1250-1325 mhz (seen with msi afterburner). The PBO is set at auto. I have put cpu voltage offset - 0.1v in the bios. If I dont do this, the offset the cpu voltage is at the top at 1.49V (too much seem in AI suite!!),

I think the bios 1201 is not good (my memory is only at 3600mhz, dcop at 4600 mhz fails at boot, cpu volt too high, boost not until 4700).

the temperature is stable during 2 hours in aida 64 (written in the software at 60-69 degrees), but ryzen master (cpu package temperature) is 70-79 degrees).

I have tried to put PBO level 3 (OC), it seems it's a little bit better (1300-1350mhz in games). cinebench r20 9400 and 530 single core.

I want to try to put every core at 4300mhz. I have alreaded tested 20 minutes 4150 at cpu at 1.2 V...

Have you some news or optimization with this asus crosshair board?

Best Regards

0 Likes
s1ilver
Journeyman III

Only use Ryzen master for monitoring, all other things report false readings. 

1300mhz? Gpu? If its really 1.3ghz when gaming, your cpu is on fire  

These motherboard softwares are all crap, its better to never install them. Bios can show high vcore, my x570 show also 1.5v on default settings but its not right reading. Maybe its vid voltage even if it says vcore. Msi afterburner is for overclocking your gpu. 

Why you even bother to overclock 3950x best performance on zen2 is all default and power limits off. Ryzen oc gain is so small that its pointless in everyday use. All core overclock give you gains when your cpu does real work. 

0 Likes
gzurp
Journeyman III

Hi,

I am doing bios pbo disabled.

I read ryzen master and do cinebench r20 (cpu : all cores at only 4000mhz and cpu single : 4350mhz) score results 9150 and 501.

temperature 58 degrees at single cpu cinebench.

How to disable power limits?

I have h115 and Icue...bad software...my fan have strange behavior with quiet mode (change to personal parameters)

0 Likes