cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BirdTech
Adept I

3 RMAs, 4 crashing while idle problems. WHEA-18 nightmare with 5900x. Looking for insight.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 (F4-3600C16D-32GVKC)
Power Supply: Seasonic Focus FM Series 750w (SSR-750FM) 80 Plus Gold
Motherboard: MPG B550 GAMING PLUS (BIOS 7C56v17)
GPU: XFX R9 290X Black Edition (Only Used part in the system - Confirmed working fine in old build each time I had to send an RMA in)

It persists across every 5900x I've put in this system - Crashing while idle. It only seems to be stable when running a game or Blender. It does this no matter what BIOS settings I change around. Positive curve offsets, Power Supply Idle Control set to Typical, PBO and PB2 disabled, C-States disabled, PSS/Cool n Quiet Disabled. It does this while the ram is at stock 2133 with no XMP/DOCP or manual overclocks. The RAM has also passed several MemTest86 USB boot tests, the ones that take like 4 hours and cycle through a whole battery of tests 4 times. G.Skill also claims that these specific sticks are compatible with the B550 gaming plus.

I've RMA'd this CPU as my troubleshooting solution so many times because of a few things: The first is that I've mostly seen resolutions with this specific issue when people RMA the CPU. Sometimes they can tweak some BIOS settings, but largely I see "Sent the CPU off to AMD, replacement working perfectly". In fact, I've seen a few stories where people bought a new PSU and Motherboard and still had the issue, which is why I've held off on that move for so long.

The second major reason is that AMD has approved the past 3 RMA requests. They said they tested them and found them faulty each time. Why should I assume the other parts in my system are to blame if AMD says they found a problem in the CPU? The main reason I'm giving up and asking for outside advice is this Corporate doublespeak in the "RMA Passed" email.
"Disclaimer: The content of this email is provided for informational purposes only. AMD makes no representation or warranties with respect to the accuracy of the content or of the information provided and reserves the right to change such information at any time without notice."
Which makes me feel like maybe it's more cost effective for them to send me a replacement without testing it. I really don't know at this point. I called my local trusted PC repair store to see if they had an AM4 CPU to test the system with but they don't. I'm considering buying a new motherboard and asking if they have other parts to test the system with. If I can't get a different CPU then surely a swap around of board, RAM, and PSU will determine if something's wrong. It's just such a hard problem to test in a reasonable amount of time. It took 2 days of off-and-on idle use for the problem to appear on this 4th attempt. How can I tell a repair shop "Yeah just browse youtube for 8 hours to see if it crashes"?

If you're going to suggest changing voltages, I've already tried positive curve offsets and honestly don't want to pump more electricity into a high-performance chip that people are undervolting for longevity's take.

0 Likes
36 Replies
Seekx
Journeyman III

Re: 3 RMAs, 4 crashing while idle problems. WHEA-18 nightmare with 5900x. Looking for insight.

Hello Bird. 

Reading this seema so unbelievable to me. 3X RMA 4X Faulty? This is like **bleep**ing insane. Arent they checking the **bleep**ing RMA Prozessors or something? Iam thinking of 2 causes of this...

• No Q controll of the RMAd Prozessors
  • Something else is dmging the CPU making it faulty as soon as you turn your pc on but dont take my word for it. Reading about those crashes in the last days makes me quiet confident saying its not other hardware

Im also dealing with kinda the same problem

• WHEA 18 Cache/Bus error
  • Kernel 41
  • Random restart at Idle
  • Random crash with WHEA 18 while watching youtube/Netflix
  • Crashes ingame but veeery rare after...+8h
  • Crashes after closing Warzone (playing for 1-5h) This is reproducable but not always 100%
  • Dumpfile: GenericProcessor Error /AMD.sys 

This **bleep** is driving me insane and reading your post here makes me feel really bad for you because u even RMAd.

0 Likes
BirdTech
Adept I

Re: 3 RMAs, 4 crashing while idle problems. WHEA-18 nightmare with 5900x. Looking for insight.

I really don't think they're checking the processors. I think just like how Apple finds it more cost effective to send you a new device rather than repair it, it's somehow cheaper for them to send you a new CPU without testing it after you've proven you jumped the hoops in the RMA process.

If they are checking the processors, 4 faulty ones in a row is inexcusable. I sent them a request for some sort of official documentation or statement that they did in fact test the CPUs. We'll see where that goes. I'm so sorry you're going through a similar problem. It's nauseating how frustrating this is because it's a problem at idle. So much harder to test for.

0 Likes
Werek
Journeyman III

Hello, I have a similar problem with the famous WHEA-18 unfortunately, I contacted AMD SUPPORT and between trying to change components of my computer, the last thing I have left is to send my processor under warranty, unfortunately in my case I cannot cause the error ( I have a post also explaining).

I bought new parts, rams, etc but I still have the same problem and worst of all where I buy the components I doubt that they can help me since it is such a random problem that I will not be able to do anything.

As a suggestion, sorry if it sounds too daunting is to send the AMD processor and have them respond.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Maybe you have one of troublesome seasonic psu models that were reported, check with their support.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
0 Likes
BirdTech
Adept I

Do you have any more information about this? I see some results that are a year or two old about some Seasonic PSUs having issue on newer cards under load. This is an older card with problems at idle, I'm not sure if that applies if it's what you're referencing.

0 Likes
goodplay
MVP

Something to do with sudden voltage input, who knows if that could also impact the way new ryzen also can jump to high voltage for millseconds. 

Only thing i recall is 'some pre 2018 model psu' and that they posted a list of affected model/part #.

I may be wrong, but i think it was a different issue to the newer card one. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
0 Likes
BirdTech
Adept I

Thankyou very much for this suggestion! I've contacted Seasonic, maybe they'll have some input on my situation. I wish AMD would make this easier.

0 Likes
Todd1215
Journeyman III

I've had similar issues with Ryzen5 5600x, While scouring the internet I came cross this. It's for 5900 series so it might fit the bill for you. Also I have already replaced my PSU (was a seasonic variant) that didn't solve my issue. check out this link it might help you.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/support-hardware/AMD-Machine-Check-Exception---X570-B550-Chipsets-...

0 Likes
BirdTech
Adept I

I appreciate the link. It suggests updating the BIOS, but I'm already running the latest BIOS put out by MSI for my motherboard.

AMD got back to me after I requested proof of them testing my returns. It looks like it was written by someone on their smartphone. "We apologize for the incontinence caused, We see multiple RMA authorized even then Your facing the issue."

Seriously? 3 RMAs and this is the support I get? Is there a way I can get this seen by someone not following a checklist (poorly at that)?

0 Likes