cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Scarter
Adept I

Which Thermal Compound Should Be Used For a Ryzen 7 7800X3D?

In the fine print of the Certificate of Authenticity/Limited Three Year Warranty/Installation Instructions, it says,

PXL_20230629_055511303.PORTRAIT.jpg

I've been all over the site, and searched the forums, but I haven't found any specification for thermal compound, as indicated in #2 above.

Does it matter which compound I use, as long as I use something?

He/Him
1 Solution
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Don't think it matters, but I'd assume they mean using the usual suspects:

• Noctua NT-H1 (I think that's the name)
  • Artic MX-5
  • Thermal Grizzly

etc, etc

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

View solution in original post

12 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Don't think it matters, but I'd assume they mean using the usual suspects:

• Noctua NT-H1 (I think that's the name)
  • Artic MX-5
  • Thermal Grizzly

etc, etc

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Just dont use a cheap'o thing. The Suggestions above are some of the best. 

I use Artic MX6 and brings along a syringe with the dosage marks so you know how much to apply. Also some wipe towels for removing old paste. 

The Englishman
Scarter
Adept I

Okay, cool.  I ordered Prolima Tech PK-3 Nano Aluminum because it was top rated at Tom's Hardware for non-conductive pastes. 

He/Him

Hi Scarter, 

How did you get on with that thermal paste product?

What kind of cpu temps are you gettingnow?

And what kind of cooler are you using? Air? Water?

I'm asking because I feel my thermal paste is bad or put on badly by myself... 

I use Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme. If you use a good compound I think you should be good.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I think AMD is referring to the CPU cooler itself as the 'thermal solution'.  It is poorly worded, trying to include all aspects of what you mount to the CPU header to keep the chip within it's temperature limits.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I only use the thermal grizzly stuff myself. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
Silentdeer23
Adept I

Thermal grizzly has been good, heard kpx is great too

Tbh, I've never really had an issue with any compound I've used. They all pretty well do the same thing. I've wanted to delid mine and then cool it, but that's a bit out of my comfort zone. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
johnaddi
Journeyman III

I use Artic MX6 and brings along a syringe.

Regards: latest news headlines today

0 Likes
farmerboy
Journeyman III

thermal grizzly hydronaut
or noctua nt-h2 
using hydronaut on my 7600x :3 

0 Likes
completemedicines
Journeyman III

In general, when choosing a thermal compound for a processor, it's essential to use a high-quality thermal paste or compound to ensure effective heat transfer between the CPU and the heatsink. Some popular and well-regarded thermal compounds include:

1. Arctic MX-4: This is a widely used and well-regarded thermal compound known for its good thermal conductivity and ease of application.

2. Noctua NT-H1: Noctua is a reputable brand, and their NT-H1 thermal compound is known for its high thermal performance and long-term stability.

3. Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme: GC-Extreme is another high-performance thermal compound that has received positive reviews for its thermal conductivity and longevity.

Complete Medicines

1. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut: Kryonaut is a premium thermal paste known for its excellent thermal conductivity and low thermal resistance. It is often recommended for high-performance applications.

When applying thermal compound, it's important to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for application, as applying too much or too little can affect thermal performance. Clean the CPU and heatsink surfaces thoroughly before applying new thermal compound.

Keep in mind that technology and product availability may have changed since my last update in January 2022, so it's a good idea to check for the latest reviews and recommendations based on the specific CPU model and current market trends.

0 Likes