cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

What Would You Recommend For a Beginner?

I am torn between building using my brother's old Intel i3 9100f, the board it is in Z390 UD with 2 by 8GB 3200Mhz DDR4 RAM, for a build for my other brother, or using all new parts for the build. 

For someone who plays mostly indie titles, what would you recommend for a first build? Something to get to gaming without breaking the bank. A full parts list would be nice. My brother already has a case, and I already have the platform I mentioned earlier. Is it too weak for someone starting out? Should I use AM4 even though it is no longer the newest AMD platform? 

What would you all build?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
31 Replies

I would get an Amd am4 mother board Asus are really good you wont break the bank  and I would suggest at least a  quad core  am4 board are  still good enough for gaming and there are lots of options for upgrading if your brother decides he wants to upgrade , I would put in  at least a  5700xt graphics card as you would be able to activate SAM  and play more demanding games should he want to get into something demanding like Red Dead Redemption , And I wouldn't  any less then 16gigs of ram . 

Sweet well he wants the RX 7600, and I made a wishlist on newegg for the build. I just wasn't sure if he should go all new, and use a R5 5600X or of the i3 9100f would cause issues since the Intel 9000 series only supports PCIe 3.0

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Running a RX 7600 on PCIE 3 shouldn't cause too much of a impact on performance, if any. An upgrade to AM5 would be quite a noticeable improvement though.

0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

AM4 is going to be viable for another 2-3 years I figure. Remember: The last two CPUs on AM4 were released in 2022 and 2023. It's also a decent bit cheaper than AM5 for now. I'd go ahead and build a rig with that 5600X on a B550 board. 

AM5, OTOH will be around for quite a few years and will mature like the AM4 did, so you'll have a longer upgrade path, even in the budget realm.

Just for the love of all things holy and pure and god in the world: STAY AWAY FROM INTEL. 😉

Performance over Pretty.
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Well he put his foot down. I put the list in my reply to @cyberstorm64dd 

cyberstorm64dd
Challenger

I don't think there's a right answer. 

Personally, I would just suggest they buy a laptop if they're new to computers or if they must move it around a lot. For someone who knows at least how computers work or doesn't have to move them around, I would proabably start them on an old dell workstation PC like a T5500 or T7500 (I have one of the latter, it's decent as a starter build, but I would recommend using a GCN GPU on it and not an RDNA GPU in it) Once they learn how to manage and upgrade an older system then move them on to newer parts and more fragile components like PGA sockets and SODIMM ram. (if they have not already handled it)

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

I appreciate this. I feel a similar way, but he put his foot down on a build that uses the latest AM5 socket. So the i3 and that board are going to probably become another build for my mom so she can stream her favorite shows. 

He settled on this list. 

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 5200 Desktop Memory Model F5-5200J3636C16GX2-RS5W

AMD Ryzen 5 7600 - Ryzen 5 7000 Series 6-Core 3.8 GHz Socket AM5 65W AMD Radeon Graphics Processor -...

Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 510 180W TDP CPU Cooler, Intel/AMD Universal Socket (LGA 1200/1700), Dual 120mm...

SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD with Heatsink 1TB, PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280, Speeds Up-to 7,000MB/s, Best for High End ...

XFX SPEEDSTER SWFT210 RADEON RX 7600 CORE Gaming Graphics Card RX-76PSWFTFY

Get Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora w/ select AMD products, limited offer

Not a bad setup. I'm just not a fan of 8GB cards anymore. Back in the old days, they were the top of the pops. Now, you need at least 12 the way PC games are optimized.

Heck, I recently ran out of VRAM in War Thunder with a 6800XT. That takes a bit of effort.

Performance over Pretty.
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I haven't had the issue arise yet where VRAM was a limitation with my RX 6800 XT. Were you at 4k?

1440p, Max settings. I was pushing over 300FPS on a newer map, though. I had to restart the game to get it to behave. Not an issue since, though.

Performance over Pretty.

idk why AMD didn't give the 7700S more VRAM

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

I had a 2GB card when 4GB was the norm. I'm on a 6GB now. Not once have I run into VRAM limits at 1080p that I can't fix by putting shadows on medium instead of ultra 🙂

0 Likes

Heh... we have another OG who knows to lower settings first.

I gotta admit, The Red Team mods spoiled me something fierce back in April when my 6800XT showed up as a thank you for helping out with the How-Tos. I went from a 512MB Radeon 4350, to a 1GB R7 250, to a 4GB RX570, and now on to this 16GB monster. I could do the full-blown 4K Ultra RT and do 60fps, but I'm doing 1440p Ultra, no RT and bouncing off the refresh limit of my monitor with TONS of headroom to spare for poorly optimized games.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

Valid. I like laptops because everything is all in one package and learning to fix them is extremely rewarding in my opinion. I also like laptops a lot though. 

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

If I could downvote this based solely on my seething hatred for laptops, I would. But I'm also the guy that hates anything smaller than ATX 😉

Performance over Pretty.

Which laptops? the TUF I have is very good

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

I hate ALL laptops.

Performance over Pretty.

Not a bad setup. If you are going to use the thermaltake cooler you could get a Ryzen 5 7600X and get a better performance, eventually you can enable the Eco mode to lower the power consumption and temperatures.

0 Likes
petosiris
Miniboss

Hello @cpurpe91,

I'm generally not any good at advising budget builds, since I never bought any budget PCs myself and don't follow that market segment, so I'll abstain from presenting a list of parts for such a build. However, I will say that it's better to try and build something new for your brother than build further on an old PC.  Not only because of technological leaps but also because Windows 11 doesn't support old hardware and Windows 10 support will expire in two years time.

You can keep the old PC, install Linux on it and use it as a file/media server or NAS.  Linux supports old hardware, of course. That way, your old PC may serve you and your brothers also in the future. 🙂

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image

If my old ThermalTake case wasn't hacked to bits making room for a 6800XT, I'd be messing with Linux getting my old AM3+ rig resurrected. 

Performance over Pretty.

Hi @Axxemann,

I see.  😅  It's a known issue to scavenge old builds for a new one.  Linux is very flexible but still requires a complete PC to work. 🤣 But if you should do this later sometime, it's not necessary to "mess with Linux" much.  There are many ready-built packages for a NAS solution, for instance, with Linux as foundation and NAS software on top, ready to install on a clean harddisk/SSD.

Best,
Petosiris           About me | PC specs | Favorite game | How to display your PC specs in an image
0 Likes

I'm sure there are, but finding an old, used but not abused ATX Mid-tower with tons of HDD racks (not really looking at buying a new case if I can avoid it) isn't proving an easy task in my neck of the woods, and it's just not a high priority, TBH.

I've got to finish Project Spectre, build my Nephew's rig, and then get on three client builds before Xmas. Lucky for me, the clients all went with full AMD builds. It's now at the point where I have to use Purchase Orders at my local shop. But they are cutting me a discount on the parts so I make some money off those. Now it's Cost-Plus-Ten instead of full-pop-retail-plus-nothing They even rebated me on my nephew's parts because they asked me to generate a PO for it. I won't be doing build pics of the client builds, but they'll be essentially cookie-cutter variants of what I'm building for Youngblood.

Performance over Pretty.

@Axxemann wrote:

Now it's Cost-Plus-Ten instead of full-pop-retail-plus-nothing 

You mean the dealer lowered their price to you at cost plus 10 percent or that you will receive 10% profit on the client builds in return?

I wouldn't go into business by selling anything at only 10% profit.  It's not worth the struggle of working, IMO.  I'd target products that gave me at least 30%.  But that's me.

Best,

Yeah, they gave me a 10% discount. So now I'm getting a 10% profit on the parts I'm using in the builds. Customer still pays the exact same amount. I tend to provide all the retail receipts in the event of a parts failure, they can go in and get the RMA done through the shop; or if they want IPR, they pay extra for it up front. I price out all my builds through the local PC shop so that there's no BS, no hassle and no fuss when something goes wrong; and my customers know they're getting the parts from a reputable source. The shop is happy because they're still making bank, I'm happy because I'm getting a bigger cut, and my customer is happy because they're seeing the actual numbers and not getting ripped off. My build and setup fee is a flat rate. I charge less for AM4 builds since they're so boneheadedly simple to do, whereas the Intel and AM5 builds require a bit more finesse when socketing. At least, that's my explanation why I charge the extra $20 for Intel and AM5. To be honest, I never did like LGA sockets. And I still don't. Probably never will.

Once I get Project Spectre done, I'll probably start offering soft-tube custom watercooling. I want to buy a few lengths of the various hard tubes before offering that up.

I'm really not in it to make money. It's a hobby. I have FUN doing it, so I charge just enough to work out to a day off work at my current wage before taxes and stuff are taken off by payroll. One of my drivers at work asked me if I could troubleshoot his granddaughter's PC, turned out to be a dead GPU. I asked what she did with the PC, how often it was used and made a recommendation based on that. Driver and I went to the shop, got the fresh card, I mounted it, DDU and fresh drivers, a couple of YOLO bench runs later and she was back in business. Cost to him was a new GPU for the kid, and two giant bags of beef jerky for me to munch on at work. 

Performance over Pretty.
otacon
Adept III

You can't go wrong buying using the Steam Hardware Survey or trying to match a console. A 4 core CPU with a middle of the pack GPU like the RX 6600 or RTX 3060 is perfectly capable of playing every game at 1080p.

CONSOLE??? HOW DARE YOU BLASPHEME IN THESE HALLOWED HALLS!!!!

And if you even breathe a word of praise about Nvidia... we can't be friends. 😉

Performance over Pretty.

The consoles probably have more AMD hardware then your own machine! 😉

I could change my wifi card and have even more AMD hardware in my laptop

and I would have a **bleep** good wifi card too

Cyberstorm64 of UNYU
Tessellation Enjoyer.
0 Likes

PCMR. Without my people, your people wouldn't exist. 😉

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

the 4090 is too expensive.