Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Megadeath
Adept II

Vertical mount problem!

Hi every one,

I just bought an asus tuf rx 6900xt and asus tuf gt 501 case and i installed the graphic vertically on its vertical slots and now the gap between sid panel and the GPU is too short and in heavy graphic process, temperature will reach 87-89 but when i remove the panel it will decrease to just 57 and stay fix, is there any option except horizontal mount and using a bracket? 

And if using a bracket solves the problem, is deep cool vertical bracket good? Or should i go with the cooler master new bracket?

Your answers will help me a lot ❤️❤️ 

MEGADEATH
21 Replies
lowteck
Miniboss

in most instances, vertically mounting your graphics card will typically lead to far worse airflow. That goes doubly so if you have a plexiglass or tempered glass side panel

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
Awol
Challenger

I vertically mount all my GPU's and have never found an issue with temps. I use an aftermarket mount from CoolerMaster as i found in my old LianLi Lancool1 the in built vertical brackets were way too close to the tempered glass and this restricted the air flow. Not an issue once i bought the mount.

1.jpg

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / MBA RX7900 XTX / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

Thanks for providing the pic, Awol, it speaks volumes.

Megadeath,

Do you see the cooling fans in the provided pic by Awol?

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

Yes i saw them and they look so cool, but actually fans are not my problem, if i mount it horizontally, everything works fine and gpu temp never gonna reach more that 73° in heavy gaming, but when i mount it vertically on the case vertical slots, it even reach 90° 😵

Here you can see the position

1000354119.jpg

C‍lick the link below for the video:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/6xhe39l7dmevq26/VID_20240512_001427.mp4/file

MEGADEATH
Axxemann
Forerunner

If you're gonna vert mount, water blocking is the best option. The vast majority of these coolers are designed to work in horizontal configuration.

Performance over Pretty.

Yes, I agree with you, but in my opinion, vertical installation without water blocking is really beautiful. But according to your words performance over pretty, The most important point!

MEGADEATH
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've been vertically mounting the video card on my recent builds (like Wine-Time) and I try to ensure I have at least an inch of room between the video card fans and the glass panel.  I also make sure there is plenty of air moving past the video card - such as air being sucked into the case from the bottom or air coming in from the front.

My Wine-Time build has a 7900XT vertical mount.My Wine-Time build has a 7900XT vertical mount.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yes, you are right, but my very important question is that when Asus has provided a slot for vertical installation of the card in the case, why didn't it think about the space and the proper distance to the glass? This is really bothering me, not because I have to pay an extra fee to provide a suitable bracket for this, but because of the problem of the case itself and reducing the attractiveness of the graphics card.

Please pay attention to the uploaded file, definitely when By using the bracket, moving the graphic card further back will reduce its beauty.

1000354119.jpg

Click the link below for the video:

MEGADEATH
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That short video file just shows that your video card is mounted close to where the glass cover would be.  I can't tell much about the mounting though.  You know what would be cool?  If you were able to cut the glass panel to open the area around the video card - taking out a rectangle with glass above, below and to the right side.  Then I would attach LED lighting to the top or bottom edge so that it shines through the glass and illuminates the video card where the glass is cut.  That would be slick, and you could keep your same mounting.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yeah i though and searched a lot about it but i just found out that there is no way to to cut a tempered glass, as you start just to drill a very small hole، It turns into hundreds of small pieces 😢😂

MEGADEATH
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

How about a glass cutter?  Or, maybe you just replace it with plexiglass.  That would make the job much easier to complete.

0 Likes

It would look awesome! Just need to figure out a way to cut the glass.

Each case is made differently. The problem is, if you don't do this very often, you can get tripped up by the many aspects of pc building. It's really just trial and error and making mistakes to improve on the next one. It takes me many days of thinking things through to get a good 1st time go material list for my builds.

eebiii
Forerunner

Either one of those brackets would be fine.

The cooler master has a few more adjustments and will probably get you a bit closer to the board to free up more space from the side window. I would say you will be able get at least 2-3" of gains with either one and that should be enough for airflow.

IMO

Thank you for your good suggestion. But I really wish there was a way to keep it like the uploaded file and enjoy it, using brackets definitely creates more distance and I feel it loses its charm a bit.

1000354119.jpg

Click the link below for the video:

MEGADEATH
eebiii
Forerunner

It will look just like @Awol's, tucked back a little. I don't think it will take away the charm.

You could always take @Axxemann's advice and pick up one of these:

ek-quantum_vector_tuf_rx_6800-6900_d-rgb-nickel_plexi_art.jpg

I just wouldn't waste my money on EK, @eebiii. They're in a world of hurt if GN Steve is even 2% credible. 😉

Performance over Pretty.

Or go old school .....no no don't do it. Not worth it: haha This was a horrible design, but I guess it led to better ideas. Can't believe I fell for it

DSCN0100.JPGDSCN0104.JPGDSCN0163.JPGDSCN0126-2.JPG

I was going to do that with my RX570 for gits and shiggles. 😉

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

You could go the Bykski route:

8261c978-9d11-40cb-8cda-c90cbd8326f7_430cc8d0-07ee-493c-b1c3-6c37887c4831.jpg

It's what I did with my Pulse 6800XT.

I prefer the blacked out acetyl look, so I'll most likely go Reference and Heatkiller.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes