cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

MikeinWC
Adept I

System with FX 4300 won’t POST

I have an older system that I built with a FX 4300 processor on a MSI 970A-G46 motherboard.  It worked fine for years, but a couple weeks ago it wouldn’t POST when I turned it on.  The fans turn on and the lights on the motherboard work, but nothing on the screen.  The graphics card works in another computer, and I’ve narrowed it down to being either a failed processor or bad DIMM.  Is there a way to check whether the problem is the processor without getting a new one and trying it?

4 Solutions
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Be careful of investing too much money into troubleshooting an older system.  The FX processors are pretty slow and not really up to modern standards (I have a computer running the 8150 FX CPU and it's really slow).  I have lots of older machines but most are running Ryzen processors, from the first series to the 5000 series.  They are so much faster now.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

I agree. When a 10 year old system starts giving you grief, it's best to just upgrade.

Performance over Pretty.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You say it all lights up, but no picture or sound is output. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? It may seem obvious but sometimes it is the simple things that get overlooked. I agree with @BigAl01 and would not spend any money on the rig if it is something like the motherboard or CPU. You can build a decent PC using the AM4 platform, for less than $400 USD that if you use the old PSU, provided it works well, case, and storage from the current PC. AM5 is a little more expensive, but processors will be supported in the future, while AM4 has the processors it supports and no more are set to be released for the platform.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

That's correct.  All good points made.  After this one failed to POST and I couldn't find an easy solution on my own, I ordered a new case, ASUS gaming motherboard, i7 12th generation, etc. and have a new fast computer.  If there was an easy solution to the problem with the FX cpu and motherboard, I would use it for a backup and security cameras.  I'm definitely not going to buy an old processor or motherboard.  I'm even reluctant to spend $13 for a new memory stick.

0 Likes
13 Replies
Axxemann
Forerunner

Pull your RAM, and try running one stick at a time. Barring that, if you have another rig that uses DDR3 you can get at for testing, try it in there, and maybe swap CPUs, too. If you were local to me (I live in Alberta) I'd let you borrow my 8120 rig for testing. I think shipping each way would cost more than the CPU is worth.

Performance over Pretty.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Unfortunately, I have only one 8 GB DIMM, so I can’t try one at a time.  I did try pulling it out and putting it back it to see if the connections made a different, but that didn’t work.  Sounds like it’s trial and error and  I need to find another CPU and DIMM to try them out.  The motherboard supports 8000 series CPUs, so I might try a better one to see if that works.  I suppose the problem could be the motherboard, too.

0 Likes

DDR3 is reasonably cheap. Pick some up on Amazon, use it for testing, if it runs, keep it. If the rig is dead, send it back.

Performance over Pretty.

When you power up what Mobo Trouble LED is lit up?

Or what BEEP Sequence to you hear when you power up?

Does sound like Hardware failure. My bet it isn't the AMD processor but some other hardware. The FX Series are pretty durable and hardy processors. I have a FX8350 that is still working first on my computer and then on my wife's computer for several years now without issue.

Since you only have one stick of 8GB RAM I would first disconnect all the hardware from your Motherboard except your PSU, CPU, & Windows drive and power up.

If your CPU passes the BIOS POST Test the CPU Trouble LED light should go on and then off and the DIMM Trouble LED light should come on and stay lit since you have no RAM installed yet.

BIOS tested your CPU during POST (While powering up) and found it to be working in satisfactory way to be able to boot up.

If the CPU Trouble LED  stays on then the problem is with either your CPU or Motherboard or even your PSU not giving out proper voltage to run the CPU.

If it goes off then install your one stick of RAM in the appropriate DIMM Slot for your motherboard for one stick operation.

See if the DIMM LED light goes on and then off. If it doesn't then most likely it is either your Motherboard DIMM Slot, or RAM Stick is defective,

I would insert your RAM stick in another computer and have a Memory Diagnostics run on it to see if it is good or not or borrow another good RAM stick from someone else and see if it boots up or not.

Good suggestions but unfortunately this motherboard doesn’t have LEDs for CPU, RAM or other failure like the newer ones do.  There are only 4 blue LEDs for CPU power.  I put a different PSU in it, but that didn’t help.  When I turn it on, I don’t even get the MSI BIOS to come up.  I also don’t have another computer that uses DDR 3, but I can buy another one just like I have for $10 on eBay.  If that doesn’t work, I’ll try a new processor.  Like Axxemann said, I can also send them back if it’s the motherboard itself that’s dead.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Be careful of investing too much money into troubleshooting an older system.  The FX processors are pretty slow and not really up to modern standards (I have a computer running the 8150 FX CPU and it's really slow).  I have lots of older machines but most are running Ryzen processors, from the first series to the 5000 series.  They are so much faster now.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I agree. When a 10 year old system starts giving you grief, it's best to just upgrade.

Performance over Pretty.
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

You say it all lights up, but no picture or sound is output. Have you tried clearing the CMOS? It may seem obvious but sometimes it is the simple things that get overlooked. I agree with @BigAl01 and would not spend any money on the rig if it is something like the motherboard or CPU. You can build a decent PC using the AM4 platform, for less than $400 USD that if you use the old PSU, provided it works well, case, and storage from the current PC. AM5 is a little more expensive, but processors will be supported in the future, while AM4 has the processors it supports and no more are set to be released for the platform.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

That's correct.  All good points made.  After this one failed to POST and I couldn't find an easy solution on my own, I ordered a new case, ASUS gaming motherboard, i7 12th generation, etc. and have a new fast computer.  If there was an easy solution to the problem with the FX cpu and motherboard, I would use it for a backup and security cameras.  I'm definitely not going to buy an old processor or motherboard.  I'm even reluctant to spend $13 for a new memory stick.

0 Likes

The only thing you did wrong was Intel. 🤣

Performance over Pretty.
Vynski
Exemplar

Your post resembled an incident that I had with my FX 9590 where I drew the same conclusion as you, faulty CPU, GPU, or motherboard.  So I upgraded to the Ryzen 7 2700+.  When the same problem occurred on my new build I realized that:  I NEVER CHECKED THE MONITOR! 🤔

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Interesting.  Fortunately, I have another computer and know that the monitor works.

That's good to hear.  Didn't want the same thing to happen to anyone else.

Wish I could give some new advice other than what the rest have already given you.

Good luck in resolving this issue.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"