Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

aer4af
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7-Based Desktop for CAD work

Hi, newbie on this forum.

I would like to know what's the best GPU to pair with a Ryzen 7 7700X for just CAD work (No gaming)? Web search leads me to these candidates:

• AMD Radeon Pro W5700 Graphic Card - 8 GB GDDR6 
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT - 16Gb GDDR6

GPU Workstation has a reputation of being expensive, so I am looking at other gaming CPU which can be used also for content creation.

Thank you,

aer4af

0 Likes
1 Solution
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @aer4af, welcome to the Red Team! 

I'm not a content creator and haven't used any CAD software lately. That said, any AMD Radeon RX 7900 graphics cards paired with any AMD Ryzen 7 processors (i.e. the AMD Ryzen 7 7700X) will do the trick as these feature our latest architectures (RNDA 3 and Zen 4 respectively - AM5 platform), and have been positioned for both gaming and content creation. 

"At the top of the stack, the 16-core AMD Ryzen 9 7950X processor offers up to 57% better content cre... 7."  

Note, when thinking of content creation, video & audio editing, the software you are using will impact the overall performance of the workstation. Plus, you should consider SSDs vs. HDDs and, budget-permitting, a whole lot of RAM.  

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

6 Replies
AgCN3
Adept III

https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro-w6800

That's my opinion.  Unless you have $1K or more to spend on your video card.

___

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AgCN3
Adept III

I want one for my work PC, and I use Autodesk Inventor daily.

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @aer4af, welcome to the Red Team! 

I'm not a content creator and haven't used any CAD software lately. That said, any AMD Radeon RX 7900 graphics cards paired with any AMD Ryzen 7 processors (i.e. the AMD Ryzen 7 7700X) will do the trick as these feature our latest architectures (RNDA 3 and Zen 4 respectively - AM5 platform), and have been positioned for both gaming and content creation. 

"At the top of the stack, the 16-core AMD Ryzen 9 7950X processor offers up to 57% better content cre... 7."  

Note, when thinking of content creation, video & audio editing, the software you are using will impact the overall performance of the workstation. Plus, you should consider SSDs vs. HDDs and, budget-permitting, a whole lot of RAM.  

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Hi Sam_AMD, thanks for the tips. For the meantime, not going for the Ryzen 9 because of budget constraints. But definitely for RX 7900 GPU. 
Thanks!

I'm curious why you'd recommend a gaming graphics card for CAD?  He specifically said that he didn't want to use the PC for gaming.  If you can use gaming graphics cards for CAD, then what is the point of Radeon Pro?  I am currently running a Radeon RX Vega64 in my workstation, and I'd give anything to have a Radeon Pro right now.

0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @AgCN3 

Because:

"Hi, newbie on this forum.

I would like to know what's the best GPU to pair with a Ryzen 7 7700X for just CAD work (No gaming)? Web search leads me to these candidates:

• AMD Radeon Pro W5700 Graphic Card - 8 GB GDDR6 
  • AMD Radeon™ RX 6800 XT - 16Gb GDDR6

GPU Workstation has a reputation of being expensive, so I am looking at other gaming CPU which can be used also for content creation.

Thank you,"

And as mentioned in my response, the products I've recommended have been positioned for both, gaming and content creation.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
0 Likes