cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

oldsalt2
Journeyman III

Rebuilding my old computer with updated parts

Currently in the process of replacing most 'if not all the guts of my current PC due to a number of issues (not TPM 2.0 compliant, Not Windows 11 capable etc. outdated hardware and the like) which I use for a variety of purposes but primarily video editing, photo restorations as well as playing a few online games (eve online, cyberpunk etc.)

Current system is:

Thermaltake GT 10 desktop case (keeping it for sure!)

Thermaltake 1250w power supply (keeping it as it still works fine!)

Intel i9-4770K processor - need to replace as not Windows 11 capable 

ASUS Z87-Duluxe motherboard - needs to be replaced as it has no TPM 2.0 compliancy  (can replace with a Gigabyte motherboard if a good equivalency is available)

Radeon R9 200/HD 7900 graphics card

Pioneer BD-RW BDR-208D DVD Burner

Peripherals - mostly RAZER stuff (deathadder elite, black widow ultimate, nostromo etc)

2 x ACER V273HL Monitors.

32gig RAM

New  system  can have different parts i.e.

Gigabyte motherboard instead of ASUS,

AMD processor instead of Intel i9 (which was my original choice)

upgraded replacement for the Radeon graphics card (do not need top of the line due to cost considerations)

new RAM (DDR5 instead of current DDR4 stuff)

Windows 11 (for full fresh install)

1TB Primary SSD (C: drive) - current 500gig drive is too bloody small to do anything with!

2 or 4TD secondary HD

suggestions would be appreciated.

🙂

3 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Photo and video editing .. more cores might be your cup of tea .. and a good gamer to boot

7950x might be what you're after depending on your budget

I recommend Gskill's Ripjaws S5 2x32Gb 6000 CAS30 (Hynix) kit or their 2x16GB kit depending on your budget

The Noctua NH-D15 or the Deepcool AK620 would be good choices for cooling

I'm partial to ASRock motherboards .. I've been really happy with my B650E Steel Legend

It's a trivial thing, but I think it adds more support for big air coolers and it will knock a couple degrees off IF you decide to use water cooling ... but maybe look at getting an AM5 Secure Frame

With whatever GPU you decide to upgrade to .. You should really consider replacing your Acer 1080p monitors with at least 1440p 120hz or higher, 4ms or lower monitors. 

For a good cheap game drive, I use the M.2 KSM KP800 PCIe 4.0 2TB drive

I use the Samsung 990 Pro for my OS drive and a WD_Black SN770 1TB for another games drive. 

With anything you get .. grab latest BIOS/Firmware for your devices

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

The 7800X3D is another good choice if you're more of a gamer. This is the king of gaming chips right now. If you're looking for an AIO cooler, check out the arctic cooling liquid freezer ii lineup. If it were me, I'd get the 360 or 240 size depending on what your case can handle for either the 7950X or 7800X3D. What size motherboard are you looking at and what kind of storage are you using?

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
0 Likes
rtbh99
Challenger

dont quite know your budget but i put together something for under 2k. itll crush 1440p gaming as a bonus, but you could get a cheaper gpu if it doesnt fit the budget.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rtbh99/saved/CHMmLk

---
lets talk about rtbh99
0 Likes