Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Sasbro
Adept I

Radeon 7900 XTX crashes when trying to play VR

Hi guys,

I had a new computer put together with which I was able to play VR perfectly a few days ago. Due to compatibility problems between the RAM and the mainboard, the mainboard was then replaced. We swapped the Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX for an MSI Pro x670-p WiFi.

When I start a VR game (with active VR glasses 🙂 ) the PC switches off and I can't start it for several hours, various LEDs then light up orange and red. This morning I was able to start the computer normally again after leaving it overnight pulled out the power plug.

There is no error about this in Windows Event Manager. All drivers are up to date.

Anyone have an idea how to find out what the problem is?

Everything was working fine before the mainboard change.

System:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700 X (MSI Coreliquid 360R),

Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX WiFi -> MSI Pro x670-p WiFi

64GB DDR5 6000 MHz Corsair Vengeance (2x32 GB)

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB

M.2 NVMe SSD - 2000GB WD Black SN850X

1200W SQ-Gold Silent 80 Plus Gold

Win 11 Pro

I've already read a few postings about it but haven't had any success so far and I think after about 10 crashes I can ask before any hardware is damaged 😉

Thanks in advance

9 Replies
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello, @Sasbro , welcome to Red Team!

I have a few questions for you...

What happens when you launch a non-VR game? 

What's the make and model of your VR Set?

Have you installed the latest driver for your AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX?

Lastly, have you installed the latest driver for your VR set? Depending on the set, the software may need to be updated, and hopefully, it's optimized for your GPU. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Maybe this is a problem with the Meta Quest 2 drivers.  Are there other versions (older) that you can try?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
Sasbro
Adept I

Hey Sam, thanks for your answer!

Every other non-VR game is running fine, also Elite Dangerous... but in VR not possible as described above.

I use the Meta Quest 2, fresh install/drivers. As i said it worked before the mainboard swap without any problems. Maybe the board is the issue, i dont know.

I have also installed latest AMD drivers yesterday. Chipset drivers and so on are also up-to-date.

I have read that other guys around here (and in MSI forum) are running these combo (Radeon 7900 XTX / Meta Quest 2) without any problems. As i said, with Gigabyte board i was able to use VR.

Maybe also interesting for you, but more MSI board related 🙂

I made some videos about the "error" LEDs after the crash, about what MSI wants to tell me but i cant understand 😄

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rpfC7kIwmRhVXT_nY63AfuJrkwh6sAAr/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fVK1M0A79LKJgxbsH0ElFlXs6tnaUJAt/view?usp=sharing

Thanks

BR

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello again, 

I'm not a VR expert, but did you check to see if AMD-V/"Virtualization" is enabled in your motherboard's BIOS? I believe it should be enabled already, as your AMD Ryzen 7 7700X supports it.

If not, you can find it under "OC"  or "CPU" under the Advanced Setting of your BIOS, and it should be listed as "SVM".

Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
Sasbro
Adept I

Hey Sam

SVM Mode is enabled by default. I checked it and it was enabled.

Hi I have the same or a similar dream. In Elite Dangeraus VR, my device turns off, although I can turn it back on. Everything else works for VR and non-VR.

be quiet! Dark Power Pro 12 1200 W

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)

Crucial Ballistix 32gb

AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX (Nitro +)

hi I checked the Bios yesterday. And the SVM was indeed not turned on. After that, I started the game as a test, it did not turn off the machine. This was a short test, I will let you know if it works in the long term.

SVM solved the PC shutdown. But the game crashes in vr mode.I hope it will be solved and they will deal with it. A top category card.

dayron405
Journeyman III

Buenas tardes. 

Soy un entusiasta de la realidad virtual y hace poco me cambié de una Nvidia 2080ti a una RX 7900 XTX y mirando en el software de adrenalin observo que no aparece soporte de compatibilidad para las gafas que yo tengo que son las HP REVERB G2. 
Como usuario de AMD os ruego que le deis soporte de compatibilidad a esas gafas. 
Muchas gracias y saludos.