cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

xymex
Journeyman III

(PSU or GPU problem?) my monitor gives a no display signal whenever I load up a game!

>Specs

CPU: Xeon e3 1230 v2

GPU: Rx 580 OEM

RAM: Kingston 8x2 ram 1600mhz

Motherboard: P8H61-M

PSU: 500w power supply (I don't even know what brand this is but here's what it looks like)

>Observations of the problem 

-Monitor gives a "No display" signal seconds after opening up the title screen of any game. (Ex. The Forest, Content warning, Fallout 4). GPU temps are normal. barely reaching above 43c before shutting off. Frankly, I don't believe GPU temps are related.

-Monitor shutoff still persists even when no game is open. With monitor suddenly giving a "no display signal" despite me just browsing the internet for a few hours (sometimes minutes).

>Post-crash observations 

-Restarting the PC after the "crash", The Mobo fails to recognize the GPU as it gives one long beep, followed by 3 short beeps. (no display, gpu fan doesn't spin.)

-Observing the GPU fan as I boot it up right after the crash, I can see a small twitch as I press the power button to turn it on, but the fan never spins. ( When functional, the gpu fan usually spins a second after the aforementioned twitch)

-PC magically starts to be able to boot again properly after waiting an hour. With the GPU being recognized again. Sadly there are some cases where I get the black "no display" screen without even getting into the desktop yet

>Data I've gatherered so far

-Opening up the reliability monitor, I can see a LiveKernelEvent14 occur during the exact time the monitor shuts off. List of errors

>Things I've tried

-Reinstalling drivers by using the "fix" option on the amd driver installation (multiple times)

-Reseating each ram stick

-Reseating GPU 

-Testing the voltage of the 6pin to 8pin adapter for my gpu (gives a normal 12.6v)

>Extra things to note

-I have been using a 6pin to 8pin adapter for my Rx580 to get it's power from the PSU

((I've been at this for a week now and I REALLY don't want my pc to go bust 😭 I'm praying that it's just a PSU problem as I can just buy a decent one (perhaps one with an actual well known brand) however, I don't know what I'll do if the GPU is the faulty part))

1 Reply
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Try updating your GPU driver (Adrenalin) and then check out https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/how-to-fix-livekernelevent-141/ for more things to look at.  It could be your PSU, but first do the GPU driver update.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/downloads/drivers.html/graphics/radeon-600-500-400/radeon-rx-500-seri...  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes