cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Maxertyr
Journeyman III

power connections for the Ryzen 7 7800x3d processor

Hello, I would like to know which connection is required for this processor and which is the best. I would like to buy a MSI B650 tomahawk and it has an 8+8 pin connection, and I would like to know how best to connect power to it 8 + 8 pin or 2x4+4 pin or 8 pin + 4 pin or 8 pin + 2x4 pin? And what better power supply will fit here

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

The 7800X3D is not that power hungry like the 7950X, you won't be power limited and if it already has 8+8, great!

What to look for:

Pick the board that fits you best, read some feedback online, watch some reviews and BE SURE to buy memory sticks that are present on the QVL list.

Check if your PSU have 8+8 EPS connectors, some old PSU's don't have them. If you are building a new rig, then go for a 850Watt Gold or more (depends on the GPU).

Good Luck

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If your motherboard has the two 8 pin CPU power connections, I would certainly use both of them - use the CPU output on the PSU and one of the PCIe outputs.  I would also buy a PSU rated for ATX 3.0.  Lately, I've been buying Be Quiet! 1200 Watt power supplies.  They are quiet and dependable.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

@BigAl01 wrote:

use the CPU output on the PSU and one of the PCIe outputs.

CPU and PCIe power connector pinouts are not the same and should be keyed differently to prevent accidentally plugging a PCIe power cable into the CPU power socket.

An 8pin (or 4+4pin) CPU connector has four 12v power and four ground and is rated for 300+W, whereas an 8pin (or 6+2pin) PCIe connector has three 12v power and five ground and is rated for 150W.

As @johnnyenglish stated, for a 7800X3D only one 8pin (or 4+4pin) CPU connector is needed as the processor should never exceed 300+W power draw.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I could have sworn that I used a PCIe connector next to the CPU power plug on my latest build.

You can see one of the two power sockets for the CPU in the upper left corner.You can see one of the two power sockets for the CPU in the upper left corner.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".