cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Pc crashing

So my computer that I just built is crashing randomly and repeatedly. I haven't overclocked or anything like thatand I need some help. Here are the specs: 

GPU: Zotac gaming RTX 3050 twin fan OC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 6 core at 3.7 GHz

MB: MSI MPG B550 gaming plus

RAM: Corsair Dominator platinum RGB 3200MHz DDR4

Storage: Corsair MP510 960GB

BIOS: MSI Click BIOS 5

When it crashes I am just playing a game or downloading stuff, it is a really new computer.

sometimes when it crashes it completely shuts down instead of restarting and I can't turn it back on when it does this. Then, after a few hours, it turns on all by itself!

1 Solution
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Sounds like a defective power supply.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Sounds like a defective power supply.

Yes. Especially as it was not listed, suggests not much attention was paid when choosing it, which hints it might be terrible quality.

Though it could be a memory thing too. Maybe try running with one stick at a time and disable XMP for testing.

Also check temps

Keen observation.

I'm afraid it could even be a pre-built with a generic PSU that came along with the chassis.
All it takes is a power spike tripping the PSU.

@FourSquareGod 

Try listening closely when gaming if the PSU does some sort of coil whine.

The Englishman

It was operator error, but I am going to accept your idea anyway.

0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

My gut says it's the power supply too. Can you swap it out?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You've been given several suggestions, and most are centered on the PSU because you didn't tell us anything about the one you are using.  If it's less than a 600W brand name unit, I would also suspect the PSU.  Please come back and provide more details @FourSquareGod .

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

This is a corsair power supply. Here it is on their website:           https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/CORSAIR-iCUE/Power-Supplies/iCUE-CXF-RGB-Power-Sup...

Vynski
Exemplar

I have to agree with everyone suggesting the PSU as the culprit.

However there is another power source that everyone needs to consider, and that is the source entering your home, apt, or whatever.  Power glitches are very common and have been for several decades.  All it may take to cause a power interruption is perhaps and air conditioner kicking on or a refrigerator, anything requiring high amperage that may overload the breaker box for a brief moment.  Example; When we were first married we had a 25 cubic foot chest type freezer and less than 1 month after the warranty went out the compressor failed.  Fortunately it was an Amana and they still honored the warranty and replaced the compressor if we paid the labor.  What caused the compressor to fail was constant low voltage coming into our rented home.  

Check your power source at the breaker box.  We now own our home and have two 200 Amp breaker boxes for over 3000 sq ft.  Three 25+ cubic feet chest type freezers and one 18 ft upright freezer, 2two 18 ft refrigerators and 2 dorm refrigerators, two large central air units, and numerous other appliances including the 4 desktops that run most days.  All is fine unless the power company has a problem.

A lot of things to consider, the wiring of your home, is the breaker box large enough to handle all loads when devices require power.  If you live in an apartment it could simply be a neighbor statring a blender that will exceed the overall amperage and cause power glitches. 

Please take this into consideration.  It can cause major headaches.

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI MPG X570 Gaming, RX 480, XPG GAMIX S70 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 7200 2TB, GSKIL 16GB 3200, Corsair Strafe and Corsair Sabre RGB Pro, Samsung 27" curved monitor.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
ThreeDee
Paragon

Get a 650wtt (or "bigger") 80+ Gold (or better rated) power supply from a reputable brand. 

Check hardware site reviews before purchasing anything

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Ok, hear me out. Another easy thing you can try is swapping out the RAM or tying one stick. I've had weird issues like that with RAM if it's not AMD-optimized or on their supported list of ram for the Mboard. I would say things do appear to lean towards PSupply, but worth a try.

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

So everyone. The problem (I'm 99% sure) is solved. 1: I tightened all the cables going to the motherboard. 2: I tested the power supply with a paper clip. 3: I swapped the RAM sticks. 4: I tried a different wall outlet. Put it all back together and voilá, it doesn't crash! This confuzzles me but I suspect that when I was building the computer, I did not tighten the cables on the power supply enough and when I tested the PSU I unplugged everything (except for the motherboard power) and when I was done testing it I plugged it back in tighter.

I'm glad you found the problem, although not with 100% certainty.  Sometimes building computers is like that.  A small thing you do that isn't obvious can be the solution, such as pulling connections and plugging them in again.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
tstec
Adept III

Hi

PSU or a short circuit

Look for a nicked/damaged cabe or a defective connection 

0 Likes