Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

SirMetro
Adept I

Onboard GPU will not let RX 6700 XT run

Recently purchased a ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIFI with a Ryzen 9 CPU

I have an AMD Radeon RX 6700XT video card installed in the PCI slot

Intent is simple, replace my aging AMD 8 core with a nice 12 core system while reusing my RX6700XT video card. When I work from home, the graphics is very sluggish with basic video. The RX6700XT made my life easier so I could focus on my work and not wait on the refresh when I panned around a large PDF file.

Problem I have is that the onboard AMD Radeon Graphics Card will not allow the AMD RX6700XT card take over

As such, it will also NOT allow the Adrenalin software to run.

When I go into the BIOS and turn off the on-board GPU, the system will not boot up

I have to unplug and pull the battery for a few minutes to reset the system before I can get back in.

Any help or direction would be appreciated, and I would be very grateful for anyone's guidance.

Am almost to the point of just reassembling my old system and forgetting about it all.

If it matters, I have an LG widescreen (34") and memory is maxed out and this is a clean new MS 11 and a samsung 1 T hard drive

7 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

make sure you are plugging your monitor into your video card and not the motherboard 

make sure your video card is seated properly

make sure you are running separate power cables from your power supply to each power input on your video card

ThreeDee PC specs

At the moment, the monitor is plugged into BOTH the onboard GPU and the Video Card

The monitor allows me to switch between cables for data input

Power to the GPU card isn't a problem

Computer "see's" the Video card, but the onboard GPU will not let the video card take over

And I have "disabled" as well as "uninstalled" the onboard GPU via Windows 11, but after a reboot, windows reinstalls it.

I did disable the onboard GPU in the bios, but I must be missing something because the video card doesn't step in and the system refuses to boot up

Have been wrestling with this for nearly a month now, it's frustrating and it shouldn't be this difficult.

Your issue is your plugging  into both gpu's at the same  time you cant do that or else it will deactivate the PCI GPU , Just only plug into the installed GPU and your good to go .

I agree.  Only plug the monitor into the RX 6700 XT video card.  Use a new DP cable too, as opposed to an HDMI cable.  It could be that your current monitor cable to the video card is defective.

I would also recommend clearing the BIOS by pulling the battery for a few minutes (with power cable removed from the PSU), but do that after looking for a BIOS update and flashing the BIOS to the latest version if it's not already installed.  Do that while using your working integrated graphics with the monitor cable only plugged into the motherboard video output.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
SirMetro
Adept I

ok, this is my system setup

Motherboard - ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X with Radeon Graphics

12 Core, 24 Thread Processor, 5.6 GHz Max Boost, 4.7 GHz Base

Memory -  G.Skill Flare X5 DDR5-6000 - 128 GB

The above items are working perfectly together

The Problem child is my PCI based GPU which happens to be a

PowerColor Radeon RX 6700 XT Red Devil

for reasons I do not understand, the CPU based GPU will not allow the PCI GPU to take over or function

I followed the instructions provided by someone else regarding the BIOS, but the system would not boot up at all.

I really need this other card to function because when I log into the office, the onscreen graphics lag badly and the PCI board made that problem go away.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

For what it's worth, the computer sees BOTH the CPU and the PCI, but will not allow the PCI to take over 

radguy88
Adept II

I don't see it mentioned above, so I don't want to assume, but make sure that you update your BIOS to the latest version. I suggest resetting the BIOS as well. By default the board should support video output from your dedicated GPU (as long as your monitor is plugged into the GPU) by default.

jaandoh
Challenger

I was always under the understanding, that you should point to the graphics you DON'T want as the default, and then the system would try the other slot first... 

So if I want to boot to the igp, I point to the vga card in the vga slot... 

And if I want to boot to the vga card in the vga slot, I point to the igp slot... 

A kind of reverse psychology?... 

Off course, I don't know if that's still valid since so much has changed recently...