cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

TagAlder
Adept I

New Tower project?

Is there a company which is like NewEgg, but has human sales staff who can assist with new build?

Where on this board does one go to read about what others have put into their towers.....

discussions about SSD drives, MBoards, Video boards, etc.?

2 Solutions
rtbh99
Challenger

hey there bud, this is a satisfactory place to ask all of your questions, its just a little slower than other forums. first off, what are you trying to do with your new build? i would be extremely skeptical of any software saying that a 7000 series processor is only twice as fast, given the phenom cpu is 14 years old. additionally, userbenchmark is notoriously inaccurate and very biased against AMD, to an extreme degree. just take a look at the description for the 7600x cpu, for a giggle. there are plenty of other websites that are neutral in their reviews, tomshardware is a good one, or you can even use the resources we have assembled here on this forum at https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building-how-to-articles/tkb-p/red-team-how-to-tkb to start learning yourself.

---
lets talk about rtbh99

View solution in original post

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The 'how to' articles that @rtbh99 pointed you to are a very good place to start.  I would also recommend looking for some video's on YouTube (like this one) that help people decide what features they need in their computer before you start buying parts - especially the case.  In the old days the issue of compatibility was a big problem with computer components (like audio cards), but now most components are 'plug and play' by design with common protocols and they generally play nice with each other.  

If you are going with an AMD build, the latest AM5 platform (meaning the 7000 and 8000 series CPUs) should allow you to continue with CPU upgrades down the road a bit.  If money is tight, you will find some good deals on the 5000 series CPUs.  In both cases, if you are a gamer, then a CPU with the extra L3 cache (the X3D CPUs) will give you better performance.  

Keep posting your specific questions here and watch some videos / read the 'how to' articles.  If you've never read computer magazines like Maximum PC (only online now), I would consider that too.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
TagAlder
Adept I

After a day, no one answered my original question. 

So, I shall define it with a more detailed post.

First, how does one make an informed decision about what price/performance AMD processor is appropriate to build a Ryzen-powered computer, with a motherboard that has 3-5 USB ports IN the front panel, along with a Mic and Audio jack, a DVD player, and a CF card reader?  MB also must have a video card socket for a video card that can drive two 27" monitors.  

When I try to understand all the AMD 7000 and 5000 processors, there are too many to assess.  Why would I  choose one above all others?  By buying one processor compared to others, how does real-world performance change?  Is a Word doc opened or saved in 1/8th of a second compared to 2 seconds, or what?  How do people make component choices without a real-world appreciation about material differences?

On a separate thread, someone suggested Userbenchmark software.  Well I installed and try to run it and I could not shoot down 13 enemy spaceships to get past the Capcha, so the program would not activate.  I finally found a place to compare a Ryzen 7xxx to my current processor with is about 10 years old (AMD Phenom II, 1075T.  That comparison said the new processor would be twice as fast....or, to me, it mean I would save a few seconds in a few applications.  So why bother to upgrade of build a new box? 

For the techno-geeks here, I appreciate that you have all the answers, but I am not a full-time geek.  I use my computer, and I merely  want to buy/upgrade once every 10 years. What introductory material should I read? Where can I ask questions?  

I tried to  ask the HP sales rep who manufactured the MB of the box he suggested.  He told me, he would not tell me.   End of conversation.   Perhaps this post will elicit a clue.

rtbh99
Challenger

hey there bud, this is a satisfactory place to ask all of your questions, its just a little slower than other forums. first off, what are you trying to do with your new build? i would be extremely skeptical of any software saying that a 7000 series processor is only twice as fast, given the phenom cpu is 14 years old. additionally, userbenchmark is notoriously inaccurate and very biased against AMD, to an extreme degree. just take a look at the description for the 7600x cpu, for a giggle. there are plenty of other websites that are neutral in their reviews, tomshardware is a good one, or you can even use the resources we have assembled here on this forum at https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building-how-to-articles/tkb-p/red-team-how-to-tkb to start learning yourself.

---
lets talk about rtbh99

Thank you both!  I just typed a long reply, but the editor here crashed and I lost all the text.

So I shall just thank you and I'll return if I am unable to use your suggestions wisely.

Thank you

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The 'how to' articles that @rtbh99 pointed you to are a very good place to start.  I would also recommend looking for some video's on YouTube (like this one) that help people decide what features they need in their computer before you start buying parts - especially the case.  In the old days the issue of compatibility was a big problem with computer components (like audio cards), but now most components are 'plug and play' by design with common protocols and they generally play nice with each other.  

If you are going with an AMD build, the latest AM5 platform (meaning the 7000 and 8000 series CPUs) should allow you to continue with CPU upgrades down the road a bit.  If money is tight, you will find some good deals on the 5000 series CPUs.  In both cases, if you are a gamer, then a CPU with the extra L3 cache (the X3D CPUs) will give you better performance.  

Keep posting your specific questions here and watch some videos / read the 'how to' articles.  If you've never read computer magazines like Maximum PC (only online now), I would consider that too.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes