Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Megadeath
Adept II

Need Power supply recommends!

Hello guys,

I just want to know if 800w gold is enogh for ryzen 9 7900x3d and rx 6900xt?

Psu brand is good enough and no worries about the company, i know its enough for most of games or apps but i want to make sure that can 800w handle games in 2k and ultra quality?

Ofc there are 4 140mm rgb fans on case, rgb sleeves and at the end pc will run about 12 or more hours a day.

MEGADEATH
12 Replies

This CPU-GPU PSU calculator website  give the minumum PSU for various combination of CPU & GPUs : https://www.whatpsu.com/psu/cpu/AMD-Ryzen-7900X/gpu/AMD-Radeon-RX-6900-XT

Screenshot 2024-05-04 142336.png

According to the  above information your 800 Watt PSU will be sufficient for your hardware that you have installed.

But, personally, I recommend you get either a 850 Watt or 1000 Watt PSU that is metallic rated (Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Bronze) to future proof your PC.

That way if you decide to upgrade your GPU to a more powerful GPU card you wouldn't need to upgrade your PSU also.  Besides you can add a whole bunch of extra hardware to your PC including extra Monitors without causing power issues.

Thanks mate, that helped me alot! ❤️

MEGADEATH

Sorry, as you see it doesn't have your exact CPU Model the Ryzen 7900x3D but rather the Ryzen 7900X which is the closest to your CPU.

But it it is close enough to give you a general idea of the PSU you need.

zitgti
Adept II

ryzen 9 7900x3d  PPT: 162 W

RX 6900 xt  stress test 322 W

4x fan 140mm  6per      24 W

M2 ssd about                    6 W

Cpu cooler i guess           8 W

32 gb ddr5                      12 W

Total about                   534 W

Gold 80 With %87 Efficency must provide 696 W They advise 850 wat for intense gaming with 6900xt but it look will work fine with 800W power.

Yea that true and according to FunKs comment, kinda i wont use the ultimate power of psu and looks like everything gonna be ok,

Thanks for your exact informations :rose:🫡

MEGADEATH
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Personally, I would go with a 1 KW PSU with a gold or platinum rating from a good company.  I like having lots of headroom when it comes to power demands and you can get a good PSU for under $200.  I would even consider one that supports the newer ATX 3.0 standard.  Look at this deal from Newegg, with free shipping.

be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W ATX 3.0 Power Supply | 80+ Platinum Efficiency | PCIe 5.0 | Japanese 105°C Capacitors | Fully Modular PSU | 12v Rail System | 10 Year Warranty | BN517be quiet! Straight Power 12 1200W ATX 3.0 Power Supply | 80+ Platinum Efficiency | PCIe 5.0 | Japanese 105°C Capacitors | Fully Modular PSU | 12v Rail System | 10 Year Warranty | BN517

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

You words are true for sure and also works for future but the problem is that in my country the price deffrence between a 800w psu and a 1000w psu is nearly doubled and thats the problem for me to decide, i think ill go with 800 for now and maybe a more powerfull one after a year.

Thanks a lot for your help my friend! ❤️

MEGADEATH

10 or 12 years ago I built one of my first PCs. I purchased, at that time, one of Corsair's best Gold 850 Watt PSU.

10 years later I am still using the same Corsair PSU and it is still outputting voltages within 5% tolerances.  I have had 2 AMD HD and 2 Nvidia GPU cards and my 850 Watt PSU is still powerful enough to supply proper power for all those different GPU cards.

Plus I have a loaded PC with hardware.  So 800 Watt PSU should be good enough for your purposes until you are forced to purchase a new PSU in the future.

Also I replaced my wife's Pre-built PC  bad 450 Watt PSU (Burnt out PSU Fan) with a new Corsair Silver 850 Watt PSU without any issues about 3 years ago.

This is the route I went.

Performance over Pretty.
FunkZ
Forerunner

800W Gold is plenty for 7900X3D and 6900XT - remember that while gaming one of the CCD will park so only 6 cores will be in use. And if using productivity app with all 12 cores loaded you won't be using the GPU.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

Exactly! I have not notice that and i think your words are one of the best reason that 800w gold psu is good enough for me, i may keep it on for long time a day but not for a heavily gaming or working.

Thanks a lot! ❤️

MEGADEATH
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I'm going just point out one thing, if all you seek is gaming, go for the 7800X3D instead of the 7900X3D

The 7900X3D will be more appropriate towards a mix of content creation, productivity and gaming on the side. But if you already have the parts then nevermind what I said..

800Watt will be super fine if you don't push that 6900XT too much, but that's an odd number, usually its 850Watt. Get Gold or above.

However, 1000 Watt is not that farfetched and grants you plenty of headroom for the future.

I can't push the 6950XT on a 750Watt, it will crash very fast and my PSU will cry a lot  😂  Have to keep it stock and undervolted.

One last thing, some AIB 6900XT cards will require 3x8Pin while AMD reference card only has 2x8Pin, make sure the PSU has three independent cables for it if its made by another brand.

The Englishman