cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

hawkmanw
Adept III

My First Water Cooled Build

I decided to switch from air cooling my PC to a custom loop. Overall it was a fun experience. If I had it to do over again I’d spend a little extra and purchase components that came with written instructions or a least a functional website that hosted documentation. The fans I bought are not PWM but they are controllable (speed and color) by way of their proprietary hub. I think I’ll replace those three fans with proper high pressure PWM controlled models sooner than later.

I know it’s not up to snuff with BigAl10’s but it’ll let me game 🤣

Water block installed and motherboard transplanted.Water block installed and motherboard transplanted.

•  A lot of spare room.A lot of spare room.Toothpicks as guide pinsToothpicks as guide pins

Fans hung.Fans hung.
Hmm.. I think I’ll hang the pump and reservoir from the radiator instead.Hmm.. I think I’ll hang the pump and reservoir from the radiator instead.

Leak testing. Still dry.Leak testing. Still dry.

XFX/EKWB RX6950XT ZeroXFX/EKWB RX6950XT Zero

My least favorite part of this build. Fans controlled by proprietary hub.My least favorite part of this build. Fans controlled by proprietary hub.

BEAST!BEAST!

Back in Black!Back in Black!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
11 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

Looks Great! Nice and clean!

If you get a chance down the road, stick a 240 rad on bottom between the GPU and pump. Temps will drop 5-10C on average. 

I went with 2x360 and I run it like this

pump > gpu > rad > cpu > rad > back to pump

Should I change the orders of them to pump > rad > gpu > rad > cpu? I mean it is close but still different. 

The last component is rad before the pump, I would say you are perfect! in your order. You wouldn't see any difference in changing it around.

Thanks. 

Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI B550 Tomahawk, XFX RX6950XT WB edition, 64G 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V

Great job on your first build. It took me many many years before I attempted to build one even though I wanted to do a water cooled system way back when I first started building my systems (1995) I built mine about three years ago and went with EKWB parts and it has been great. I know people say there are better part and what not but I have put these parts through two different builds and they are still holding strong. I upgraded and had to change all the piping out. Here is also another thing the directions you are looking for are there but since these are custom built systems they seem pretty vague but lots of great videos and tips.

Did you go with the soft tubing or is that hard tubing for your loop?

I used rubber hose.

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

This looks great! Whenever I see a water-cooled system, with those cool-looking pumps, I always think about trying to build one in the future. But knowing me, it would turn into a mess and the waterworks would commence (both because of leaks and because of my tears 😂).

🤣Thanks. I ran it overnight the pump overnight to make sure it was watertight before powering up.

smart move!

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That looks very nice.  I have yet to make my own water cooled PC, but I have used AIO's many times.  Hey, who is BigAl10?  Is that an improved version of @BigAl01 ?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Oops! Darn typo. 🤣