cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

rz001
Journeyman III

Just purchased Asus Proart X670E and 7950X and 128G DDR5 Gskill RAM (and a lot more). It wont POST..

I spent just under 3K on a new system to replace my current system. Ironically my current system is the at the time amazing X399 socket Threadripper 2950X which is now deprecated and suffers from a hardware bug that causes gcc to not compile.... but anyway.

Motherboard: Asus ProArt X670E Creator Wifi 6E

CPU: 7950X

RAM: 128GIGS (4x32GB modules) of F5-6000J3040G32GX2-TZ5N which are AMD EXPO compatible and supposedly work with my board

I've just put my new system together and after waiting about 3-5 minutes it POSTED! I was so happy. It said something about NVRAM corruption and needing to reset fTPM. I decided that I should say YES so I did and the system rebooted... never to boot successfully again.

I've waited 2 hours after a cold boot and this machine wont POST. The light on the motherboard is yellow. No beeps. Nothing.

I recall that the very first time I booted and it showed that fTPM reset screen the light on the mobo had changed green.

The only thing I've come up with to try was shorting the clear CMOS pins which I did with a screwdriver while unplugged. No change.

Please advise before I return every single thing I bought.

I am using a single HDMI cable to connect my iGPU to test boot.

I haven't plugged in my main GPU or the MANY nvmes I purchased except the one nvme to the primary m.2 slot which has nothing on it as expected.

7 Replies
rtbh99
Challenger

did you try it with only two sticks of ram? am5 is picky about four sticks

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I agree with @rtbh99 , try with only two sticks, and while at it, try them in both DIMM_A1 and DIMM_B1, and if needed in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2. 

One more thing, double check your PSU cables. Are they firmly plugged into the mobo and PSU?

Did you accidentally plug the GPU cable into the CPU socket of the PSU? (I did this once, on an AM4 system, which prevented the system from posting). By the way, posting shouldn't take more than a 1 min or 2. 

Also, just curious, what's you're PSU's power and rating?

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Thanks for the reply.

I have an update of my situation.

I used the flashback facility to flash the latest bios (despite not being able to power on to bios to begin with) and combined with using 1 stick of ram i was able to get it to POST! The final key was realizing that 1 stick of ram no longer goes into the first dimm but a random dimm decided by someone who cannot count from 1.

Once I was able to post, I added ram sticks back until I had all 4 in. However even when only 1 was in I noticed that my DDR5-6000 was being seen as DDR5-4800. This makes me pretty unhappy as I spent quite a bit on DDR5-6000 based on forums posts from people who conveniently didn't provide the context of a single module of ram. Apparently "gamers" only understand 2x sticks of 16G ram and nothing else. The number of size of each module will affect your ram speed is the lesson Ive learned.

On that note someone posted 4x32modules from kingston running at 5600 which sounds too good to be true. I wonder if I can return my current ram which is underclocked and get my mobo/cpu to recognize the 5600 instead. that being said my sticks are CAS30 vs the kingston which are CAS40 I believe.

Thoughts?

You have to validate support with the board vendor before you make your decision.

So, in order to assure compatibility, follow what I said in my reply down below.

At this time your best choice would be return the memory kit you have and get this one that's on the QVL and has 1,2,4 socket support. 

The Englishman

Went to Asus Support QVL LIST For RAM MEMORY for the 7000 series processor and doesn't seem to support G-SKILL RAM of 128 GB: https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/proart/proart-x670e-creator-wifi/helpde...

This are all the 32GB RAM Sticks that are compatible with your motherboard:

Screenshot 2023-09-21 145807.png

I inputted 4x32GB RAM Memory and the list comes up with ZERO compatible RAM Sets @6000 Speed for all vendors.

NOTE: It does support 4x32 & 2x48 at lower speeds though. Here are most of RAM that supports that amount of RAM:

Screenshot 2023-09-21 150219.pngScreenshot 2023-09-21 150258.png

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If you are seeking a true workstation computer I think you should've went for a Zen 3 threadripper like this one.

More PCI lanes for your multiple NVMe without splitting them and much more capable memory wise.

johnnyenglish_0-1695330644575.png

At this time you best choice would be return the memory kit you have and get this one that's on the QVL and has 1,2,4 socket support. 

johnnyenglish_1-1695330743959.png

M.2 slot wise, I believe you can use up to 3 NVMe without bottlenecking.

16GPU+4NVMe+4NVMe PCIe Lanes and maybe 4 from the chipset. (not sure about the last)

I'm not saying that the 7950X is bad, quite the opposite, its very VERY powerful. But I'm not sure what kind of workloads you have.

The Englishman
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I highly recommend that you remove the CMOS battery and the power cable from the motherboard when attempting to clear the CMOS.  Leave the battery out for a few minutes.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".