cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

K-rnivoro
Adept I

Is Eyefininty + FreeSync guaranteed with 3 identical Freesync monitors ?

I'm a simracer and I'm looking for an update to my "just" 60Hz three monitor rig so I can have bigger monitors, faster response and less lag.

I want to make the jump to Variable Refresh Rate but G-Sync monitors are expensive, so FreeSync is clearly a better option, but...

G-Sync is certified to work with it's "Surround" Mode enabled if all of them are G-Sync compatible.

I cannot find the same "guarantee" from AMD and it's Eyefinity, so the question is:

Does FreeSync work with Eyefinity using three FreeSync monitors and DisplayPort?

I´m assuming three identical monitors connected via Display Port, with good cables and no DP to HDMI adapters, of course.

1 Solution
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @K-rnivoro , nice to e-meet you! 

I have to ask, are you playing ACC? (Assetto Corsa Competizione)? By far, my favorite GT Racing Sim. They've pushed the "laser" tracking tech to new levels imho (Monza is practically "perfect"). 

Before I forget, have you considered:

A two monitors setup: One 49" Curved Monitor + One 24" (or even 17") monitor for telemetry mounted above the 49" monitor.  I tested the ASUS ROG Strix XG749VQ at PAX West last year and fell in love! The price has dropped a little, and when thinking about cables (cable management), power consumption, software settings (display driver and game setting), cable adapters, and GPU's temps, well, going this route will make your experience better/smoother and a little easier. In addition, when thinking about the budget/money being spent, this option may actually be easier on your pocket. 

About the dedicated monitor for telemetry; it will make your sim racing experience better as you won't have to "squeeze" telemetry in the game's field of view (fov). Trust me it makes a difference.

About your original question, yes, AMD's "basic" Freesync (higher refresh rates while eliminating tearing is supported by many major manufacturers.  While FreeSync Pro supports HDR - which is the way to go in my opinion), will work with AMD's Eyefinity tech.

The two URLs that @Wally_AMD has shared with you are a great place to start, especially the "Setting Up and Configuring Multiple Displays to Run in AMD Eyefinity Mode". And be sure to check out the FreeSync FAQ.

The approach you're taking is fine, meaning, going with 3 identical monitors using high-quality DP or HDMI  cables (without adapters) is what I would do too. 

Here are a few tips (in no particular order):

1 - Make sure you have enough room for a triple-display setup. (Ideally, the three monitors should have small/thin bezels and fit nicely side-by-side; no gaps). 

2 - Make sure your GPU supports multiple monitors. What do you have right now?

3 - Research the monitors you're planning to purchase, be sure they support AMD Freesync / AMD Freesync Pro and feature multiple connection types (HMDI, DP, etc.). 

4 - Be sure you are running the latest Display Driver (AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition). 

5 - Measure the length of the DP or HDMI cables you're planning to use. Avoid any "extension" cords (i.e. connecting two HDMI cables using a female-to-female adapter).

6 - When everything is set up/connected, use zip ties for cable management. 

7 - Don't panic if you notice higher temps, depending on the sim you're playing, your gaming rig will run hotter. This is normal and if anything, consider adding a fan or two or getting a bigger exhaust fan. (Up to you). 

8 - Be prepared to spend some time configuring your sim's settings. 

9 - Test your multi-monitor setup with other games before running your sim. Note, your OS plays a big role here (Power Saving, Sleep Mode, and DirectX 12 may have to be tweaked a little).

I hope you find this information helpful! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Hey @K-rnivoro 

Good question! As long as each monitor is identical and offers similar FreeSync ranges, you should be good. 

Here's a helpful link that lists loads of AMD FreeSync Monitors so you can check out their ranges: https://www.amd.com/en/products/freesync-monitors

And here's another link that goes over setting up Eyefinity with multiple monitors: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh2-014

That being said, I may let @Sam_AMD drop his two cents in here since he's a big fan of racing sims and may have some insights! (No pressure, Sam 😅)

Thanks!!! I´ll wait for Sam´s reply, just to check with a fellow simracer!!!

y7zain
Journeyman III

t

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @K-rnivoro , nice to e-meet you! 

I have to ask, are you playing ACC? (Assetto Corsa Competizione)? By far, my favorite GT Racing Sim. They've pushed the "laser" tracking tech to new levels imho (Monza is practically "perfect"). 

Before I forget, have you considered:

A two monitors setup: One 49" Curved Monitor + One 24" (or even 17") monitor for telemetry mounted above the 49" monitor.  I tested the ASUS ROG Strix XG749VQ at PAX West last year and fell in love! The price has dropped a little, and when thinking about cables (cable management), power consumption, software settings (display driver and game setting), cable adapters, and GPU's temps, well, going this route will make your experience better/smoother and a little easier. In addition, when thinking about the budget/money being spent, this option may actually be easier on your pocket. 

About the dedicated monitor for telemetry; it will make your sim racing experience better as you won't have to "squeeze" telemetry in the game's field of view (fov). Trust me it makes a difference.

About your original question, yes, AMD's "basic" Freesync (higher refresh rates while eliminating tearing is supported by many major manufacturers.  While FreeSync Pro supports HDR - which is the way to go in my opinion), will work with AMD's Eyefinity tech.

The two URLs that @Wally_AMD has shared with you are a great place to start, especially the "Setting Up and Configuring Multiple Displays to Run in AMD Eyefinity Mode". And be sure to check out the FreeSync FAQ.

The approach you're taking is fine, meaning, going with 3 identical monitors using high-quality DP or HDMI  cables (without adapters) is what I would do too. 

Here are a few tips (in no particular order):

1 - Make sure you have enough room for a triple-display setup. (Ideally, the three monitors should have small/thin bezels and fit nicely side-by-side; no gaps). 

2 - Make sure your GPU supports multiple monitors. What do you have right now?

3 - Research the monitors you're planning to purchase, be sure they support AMD Freesync / AMD Freesync Pro and feature multiple connection types (HMDI, DP, etc.). 

4 - Be sure you are running the latest Display Driver (AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition). 

5 - Measure the length of the DP or HDMI cables you're planning to use. Avoid any "extension" cords (i.e. connecting two HDMI cables using a female-to-female adapter).

6 - When everything is set up/connected, use zip ties for cable management. 

7 - Don't panic if you notice higher temps, depending on the sim you're playing, your gaming rig will run hotter. This is normal and if anything, consider adding a fan or two or getting a bigger exhaust fan. (Up to you). 

8 - Be prepared to spend some time configuring your sim's settings. 

9 - Test your multi-monitor setup with other games before running your sim. Note, your OS plays a big role here (Power Saving, Sleep Mode, and DirectX 12 may have to be tweaked a little).

I hope you find this information helpful! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Thanks Sam!!! I´m playing mostly iRacing, and some other "local" categories from my country (Argentina).

Posting a pic of my rig below.

Yeah, I do have an extra monitor for telemetry as you can see! Actually, is connected to the motherboard HDMI output, so I don't use my video card for that.

I own already a three monitor setup. My monitors are old LG 22" 60 Hz only, but I have room for larger monitors.

Personally, I think three monitors 16:9 monitors (48:9) is better than just one 32:9. You have 50% more width so I feel it more immersive. Yes bezels are a pain in the neck, but you can "camouflage" them with that film taken from broken TVs as you maybe know. Besides, even 1000R curved monitors don´t feel enough if you want to feel yourself inside a cockpit. But with three curved monitors, you can choose the angle of the outer monitors and the distance to the displays, so the relationship between "immersion" and fov is up to you.

Thanks again for your reply !!!!

Edit: I´m actually running a Nvidia card with an old Intel processor. But I´m planning to swap to a Ryzen and a 5700XT my brother have. So, I´ll have three DP and one HDMI as 5700XT has, but no more "extra" HDMI from the motherboard. Could I use the four ports at the same time? The 3 DPs for Eyefinity (with FreeSync) and the fourth (HDMI) port for telemetry?

rigmarcos.jpg

WOW! I am jealous! Great rig @K-rnivoro ! By looking at your system and reading your reply I can tell you're an expert sim racer! I've been dreaming to build a simulator similar to yours for a while now, but not having enough room, and getting my wife's "blessing" it's what's stopping me from doing it right now. 

About your last question, yes, the AMD Radeon RX 5700XT will support all your displays (3 via DP and one via HDMI). Be sure to connect the power cables (1 6-pin + 1 8-pin). Another tip, before installing the 5700XT download the latest version of the AMD Software Adrenalin Edition and save it on your desktop; then replace the current GPU with the 5700XT, and finally install the driver. after you reboot your rig. 

I have not set up a 4 display rig (yet), but something tells me you should connect/configure the 3 DP displays first. When everything is running to your liking, connect/configure the HDMI display. (It should be detected automatically). If you run into issues, reply to this thread and I'll get someone from our product team to help me help you. 

One last thing, you "must" try ACC. 😎!

Sam
Your biggest fan!

Thanks for your tips. I´m aware Windows will try to install it´s own (an old) AMD driver, so I will download the latest one first. Disconnect the PC from internet, THEN put the 5700XT in. Turn it on again and install the drivers.

Nice knowing you!!!!

Hey Sam, I appreciate all of this detailed information. I'm trying to setup HDR with my eyefinity setup and I can't get it working. The three monitors are identical and are said to support Freesync Pro. (Gigabyte AORUS-FV43U)

That being said, I can run them with HDR as individual monitors, but the moment I turn on eyefinity the HDR option goes away in Windows 10.  The moment I turn it off, the HDR option comes back. They have the same settings as far as picture goes.  Since my Sapphire 7900xtx only has 2x display ports and 2x HDMIs, I'm forced to run a combination of the two. However...... even using just two monitors, both with display port, HDR is still unable to be enabled with eyefinity on.

Hopping into the subreddit and AMD discord, people keep saying that eyefinity simply doesnt support HDR.

After reading a bunch of stuff, I'm not sure what to think... all I know is that mine doesn't work. The same setup with my 3090 in surround mode enabled HDR without issue.

The resolution is 11520x2160 (triple 4k)

Any ideas??

Thanks a bunch either way.

0 Likes