cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

supreme
Adept II

Inspiron 5676 Mobo Swap - Making It Work

Hello Red Team. I got a second hand Inspiron 5676 about a month ago. I've installed a new PSU, SSDs, and graphics card (RX 580 to RX 7600). The only limitation I dislike is the BIOS so I decided to get a new motherboard. Nothing fancy. It just had to be capable of XMP/Expo to take advantage of higher RAM speeds.

PXL_20230711_040940348.jpg

I got to installing it last night but later realized that the power button header wouldn't work with the new motherboard (ASrock B450M AC/R2.0). A few other heads won't work either: LED strips/bars and front audio. USB 2.0 cable from the front panel doesn't reach the motherboard either. I'll be sacrificing a few connections but I am good with it. I ordered a new power button to use and will install it later today.
PXL_20230711_074219031.jpg

I'm curious if I could rewire the existing power button and LED strips and put new headers on them to be compatible with the new motherboard. Has anyone done this?

This has been a fun and challenging project to make a prebuilt case work with new components.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]
4 Replies
supreme
Adept II

All done for now.
The ASRock B450m board is slightly shorter than the Dell x370m..The ASRock B450m board is slightly shorter than the Dell x370m..

Ran the switch cord behind the board.Ran the switch cord behind the board.

Much tidier than before.Much tidier than before.

original_ddffd163-54b6-419f-889e-aca41b97a31a_PXL_20230711_235940832.jpg

I like the RGB cycling.I like the RGB cycling.

[ASRock B450m/ac R.20 | 5800X3D | G.Skill RipJaws V Series 3200 16GBx2 | RX 7600]
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Power switches are always an item of concern for computer modders.  Your solution appears to work well, but is at risk of being damaged during use or even moving the case to a new location.  

As for using existing LED strips from this case, I don't know what was there to begin with.  There are many cheap kits to add RGB and ARGB LED light strips to computer builds that are worth considering.  Check Amazon for them.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
chickenbumflaps
Journeyman III

Did you have much trouble getting the new mobo to fit the existing Dell case?  I am considering going through this process currently.  My system has stopped working, Dell tells me to replace the mobo.  But I will be purchasing a new mobo which is no update on the current one, so i will be paying for a new mobo which is actually 5 years old.  So i figure I may as well puchase a new mobo (for cheaper than the Dell replacement) and also update the cpu while at it

The mobo fit perfectly. Just make sure it's Micro ATX.