cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I did it... I built my first PC!!

Y'all I am SO excited to share this with you. I finally built my first PC (the one I had before this was pre-built) with the help of @Sam_AMD ! 

We put this together in about 7 hours I would say. Would have been shorter but Sam got some cords mixed up hahaha. Every time we put the graphics card in, the computer wouldn't turn on and we figured out we were using the wrong cord to the power supply. LOL 

Anywho... here's a breakdown of the PC along with some pics. Also, it's very hard to get a good picture/video of a PC LOL and have a true appreciation for y'all that have great pictures of yours!

I learned a lot by doing this and I am obsessed with my new PC. I can't wait to build again!! 

Amber_AMD_0-1657909215282.gif

IMG_7442.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

CPU:  Ryzen 9 5950X

Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (wi-fi)

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 TI 

SSD: ASUS Tuff gaming 1TB M.2

Memory: 2 Gskill (8gb each) 

- will be upgrading to these soon: Gskill Z NEO (4 - 8gb) 

PSUCORSAIR - RM Series RM850 850W ATX 80 PLUS GOLD

CPU CoolingCORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX, 360mm Radiator 

Case: Phanteks P500A White 

Thank you all for your recommendations on Cases. I did A LOT of research before I purchased this one.. but I really really like it. This one has a ton of organizational features for cords which came in handy. And I loveee the color options. 

CordsAntec PSU Cables

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
41 Replies
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

Looks nice! Congratulations on the sweet build. Enjoy it!

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Oh my goodness! @Amber_AMD is right, I ended up getting the PCIe power cord from the PSU mixed up with the CPU cord. You should have seen my expression, well, actually the "duh" moment when I realized I had them switched. Sorry, Amber! 

I kept asking myself (and Amber), what the heck?!? Then, DUH! Dude! Really! 

Note to self - when building a PC, as part of your first checklist, check the PSU! 😉

brian-regan-derp.gif

@Key-J @red5 @AFKG-Curtis @BigAl01 @blazek @elstaci @filinux @BNITRO @jamesc359 @johnnyenglish @lowteck @Nagrenol @mengelag @sbach34 @tenzo23 @ThunderBeaver 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Looks very nice @Amber_AMD.  How many color options do you have?  I'm a fan of changing colors for some reason.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
Key-J
Paragon

@Amber_AMD she is a beauty!

Definitely very jealous myself of that PC. Your LoL enemies won't stand a chance now! Remember kids, frames win games!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
TR2
Adept III

What motherboard? The PC looks amazing. Very clean and futuristic. Great Job.

Justifier
Challenger

Nice and solid build 🙂

I'll throw some critique at the choice of an Nvidia GPU 😜 but I'm just heckling

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
SubtleIQ
Adept III

Congratulations Amber,

It is a really awesome feeling when you  put it all together and get it to  successfully boot, the first time.

Just remember after you get your basics installed, and have everything updated to make a Disc Image.

That way reverting to a fresh install is as simple as restoring the image.  Not sure if I have mentioned this before

but I built my first pc way back in the late 90''s.  Anyway have tons of fun gaming on your new system.

Michael Alan Horton
jamesc359
Forerunner

Woohoo! Congratulations! Your first PC build is always going to be special and you'll always remember it. It looks like you did an excellent job too, it looks great. 👍

I can't believe I haven't posted anything yet.

What to say:

Good contrast, I like it. I really do, I want a white case to do the same.
Mesh front, wise! Good for temps.
Good lighting choice for the pictures.
Sober looks and at the same time expressive.

Pointers:
Add cablemod combs on the cables, if they are cablemod, of course.
A back exhaust fan, but I understand that it could be hard to find one that fits the looks.
The GPU/CPU "wedding" could be better but that's entirely up to you and do you do with the system.

And that's it. Perfect! 🙂

The Englishman

I agree with the advice of adding a rear exhaust fan.  I have/love a P500A DRGB (Black) sitting on the desk in front of me now and have put a couple out of other peoples builds as well.  Phanteks has a VERY reasonably priced 140 fan that is the exact duplicate of your 3 140's in the front.  It should be easy to find on Phanteks dot com but if you just want to hit Amazon I think the model is call a PH SK 140 (DRGB).  They are designed for airflow over static pressure and will plug right in to your existing front three fans wiring for quick install,  good looks, matched performance/fan speeds, non-stick, work on your cases built in controller,  sugar free, high speed, low drag, not tested on animals (besides us techies/nerds), operation.  I think they were around 14 or 15 USD.   

@filinux 

About the exhaust fan, I found it on Amazon "Phanteks (PH-F140SK_DRGB_PWM)", it's 16 bucks. And I'm going to buy it 😎! Thank you!

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

All hail the power of the Red Team Hive Mind!

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you everyone for your kind responses and support! 🙂  

@BigAl01 - I am also a huge fan of colors and customization. It was something I kept going on about to Sam while we were building it hahah. The case honestly came with so many options.. I would say about 8 different colors, with 4 different options of how the colors are displayed. Also, the Corsair cooler has a TON of custom color options with patterns and you can create your own colors using iCue 🙂 

@TR2 - Good question, I can't believe I missed including that. I updated my post, but it's the ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (wi-fi). 

@Justifier - I deserve the heckling honestly. The only reason I have a Nvidia one is because it was included in my pre-built PC previously and I reused some of the parts from that to build this new one. The SSD And the graphics card are reused 🙂 

@SubtleIQ Thank you so much for the tip!! Could you share a little more on updating the Disc Image? Do you think I would still need to do that if the SSD and graphics card are not new? 

@johnnyenglish - I absolutely love your review. I saw cablemod combs when I bought the cables, but I wasn't sure what the benefit of having those was. Does it just make it look clean or are there benefits to having those? As for the fan, totally agree. Corsair actually sells single ones that are pretty cheap so I plan on getting a back fan! And for the wedding, what would you recommend changing if it's easy to explain in text 🙂 I love the advice!! Thank you

Best,
Your friend at AMD

Reused parts are the best part of PC building

Being able to upgrade things without having to fully upgrade the whole system at once after you get started is what makes it affordable and worthwhile

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers

For the Disc Image its essential that you make sure any and all devices you have at the time are installed, and then their updated drivers.  Then also make sure whatever os you are using is up to date as well as any other software you install.  Oh before you make your image make sure you set up everything.  Everything!.  Ie. your tweaks... settings for everything you installed.  For instance your web browser import your bookmarks, addons.  Your video card app whatever settings you want applied.  Basically every little tweak you make to your entire system that you just have to have activated or deactivated.

After that create your image.  Even if you plan on  upgrading/adding more components at a later date.  Just simply revert to your image when you get them.   But before you revert to your image export all your current tweaks to usb drive. Then uninstall/install what is necessary for the new components.  After that update  everything , drivers, os, software and your tweaks then create a new image.  Then only time I would recommend making a completely new fresh install image is if you are changing your motherboard or os.

Hope that answers your question, thanks for asking for help.

Michael Alan Horton

@Amber_AMD 

Hi, thank you for your post 🙂

The combs, is a way of forcing the cables to do what you want with them. I mean, like following a specific path/curve or make them flat.

Curving like this:

johnnyenglish_0-1658263886389.png

The CPU/GPU pair is:

You have a Flagship CPU that screams multitasking, maybe something like editing and then there's a midrange GPU that aims 1080p gaming that maybe bottlenecking the system, not allowing the CPU to be on its maximum.

But that's not a big deal, specially if you plan to upgrade the GPU later on.

🙂

The Englishman
ThreeDee
Paragon

Very Niii....errr ... wait justa minute here..!!111

You mean to tell me that the AMD powers that be can't kick in a 6700xt or something card for yuh?! 😋

Congratz on your great build, lol

A long time ago I had a great friend, father figure, brother that helped me build a good sized storage shed in my back yard before he passed away .. he was so proud of that little building. It was the first and only building that he constructed .. pounded nails on ..etc. It was humorous how tickled pink he was and his great sense of accomplishment was to behold 

ThreeDee PC specs

I laughed when I first saw this comment, and I just laughed again when I was going back through these comments haha @ThreeDee . I cringed as I typed out that GPU knowing someone was gonna call me out for it. It is definitely in the plan to get an AMD one in the future, one way or another 🙂 

Thank you so much for the support though! 

I love your story of building the storage shed with your friend. I'm very sorry to hear he passed away, but what an awesome memory you have together ❤️ 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
filinux
Elite

Great job!!

Compared to my 1st PC this thing is AMAZING in more ways then I have to room to describe here.  Of course back then people would usually say one of two things; 1. Why do you have a computer in your house?  2. Well, you seem to be pretty impressed with that FiL, but hey it is a nice color of beige and that green text on the screen really stands out!!  🙂  

Your part selection is great and I applaud you for repurposing parts from a previous machine.  The 3060Ti is a VERY capable card for most any game out there but it is difficult to know its limitations (if any) that you may experience without knowing the resolution you will be gaming in or the games you will be mostly playing.   I am not a fan of the term "bottlenecking" that has become so popular over the last few years so if your PC is working/playing to its standard and a level you expect all is good.   Your up and running AND have upgrade paths that will keep you happily computing for years IMHO.  PRIDE is the main thing you should be feeling.  That and the upgrade & tinkering bug that comes with any nice new PC.  HAVE F U N!!! 

Thank you so much, @filinux ! Your kindness is hyping me UP. I feel super good about this build. When I'm gaming and look at it, I definitely feel a sense of accomplishment. It also makes me appreciate the complexity of tech and other people who build a lot more since tech changes so frequently. 

I'm definitely having fun learning about building, and all the tips and tricks you all share! I think we have so much to learn from one another and I'm grateful to have y'all here with me! 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
drpluto
Adept III

nice job!!!

Thank you!! 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

Hey @Amber_AMD so it's been a couple of weeks with the new rig, any updates to share?

How has gaming on it been?

----------

Hey @Key-J , thanks for checking in! 🙂

It's working amazingly. The only problem I'm having (which I had on my previous PC) is that sometimes playing league, my GPU will crash. There are no updates and it's only with League, so that's a mystery I still need to uncover. Otherwise, it's a dream!! 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

Great to hear, although that sucks to hear about the GPU crash. Especially with the change in hardware to still have that issue going on.

28b2e4d12c4a484332235beb370c691b8c2f67fb_00

----------

LOL THAT GIF is way too relatable. I was on discord with a group of people last night and we spent like 20 min talking about it. One person recommended to uninstall everything related to league, and then reinstalling so that it can reset with the GPU. So I think I'll try that next 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD

blah blah blah

@Amber_AMD wrote:

recommended to uninstall everything related to league

blah blah blah

😘

----------
Vynski
Exemplar

Congrats Amber!  

I posted my first build several months ago, can't tell you how many likes I got on that post.

AMD 386SX 20 MHz . with a 10MB Seagate HDD.   

They didn't have zero insertion CPU's in 1985/86. 

First computer Commodore 64;  Next one a Commodore 128 then a C128D, then the 386SX  

At 73 I still enjoy the challenge and keeping up with the technology.  I fix computers only for friends and neighbors anymore and charge them only for parts if needed.  Like I said, I enjoy the challenge and this keeps my mind very sharp.

I hope you enjoy building as long as I have and you can look back someday and say "Gee, remember when .....".

Vynski

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

Thank you so much for your support! 

Also, that's so awesome that you enjoy building and tinkering 🙂 I know who I'm gonna tag next time I need some tips! 

I can't wait to dive into another build - hopefully sometime soon! I need to open this one back up and do some serious cord management lol 🙈

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Hey Amber; Vynski again.

Just a thought on you upgrade of the RAM to 4-8GB, why not 2-16GB in case you decide to upgrade to 64GB later.

Every component is A-OK.  Even the Phanteks case.  I was considering that case when I stumbled onto the Metallic Gear Neo Cube which I love.  I have a Ryzen 9 3900X, Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0, GSKILL Ripjaws 32GB 3200,  Radeon RX 5700 XT, MSI MEG X570 ACE motherboard, Corsair RM 850 PSU, and I rarely use this machine.  The only comparison to the neo Cube is the Corsair Crystal Series 680X or Lian Li O11.  Any new build will likely get a Lian Li O11 case.

Anyway, I love the selection of components that you have chosen.

Hey @Vynski - hope you're doing well! 

That's honestly a good question. I've heard your computer responds better to having 4 memory sticks in because its using each slot. That's my very non-technical way of explaining that thought! haha 

I just looked up that case and wow, I really like that one! Seems super roomy. Do you have a pic? I would love to see your build! 🙂 

Sounds like you have a really solid build too. How come you rarely use it? 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes

Front- Neo CubeFront- Neo Cube20220803_203621.jpgP9090071.JPGWhy I rarely use it.  Good question.  Amber, I just sold my 2 Commodore 128 a couple of years ago.  Here is what my wife and I have in computers; 3 - laptops, 4 - desktops.  My wife has, I think 16 sewing machines (at last count) from a 1928 electric Singer to a 2021 Brother Luminaire (embroidery).  She has 3 older Pfaff embroidery machines. These embroidery machines use digitizing software. 

Now  for me I was Novell certified in the 1990's and I just love computers and never sell them when I'm done with them.  My Ryzen 7 has been my desktop machine long before I built this one.   

Well it beats the sox off my Ryzen 7 2700, RX 480, 16GB Gskill 3200, MSI X570 Gaming Plus (just had to send it in today due to a failed BIOS update) (Only my second one in all these years, the 1st was an Intel board).  So this one is all over a table in components until I get the board back.

Anyway, I just hooked it up before I read your post.  Thought you might get a charge out of this speaker system.  It consist of 4 - Sansui SP2000 speakers controlled by a Sansui AU999 amp.  I had my Sansui turntable hooked to it for recording LP's to digital .wav files, it needs a new stylus.  The desk is solid cherry that I sawed and cured the lumber for.  I designed it using AutoCad specifically for these speakers and amp.  I am a master wood craftsman with a lot of experience as well, my hobby.  In my last post I quoted a phrase to you; "Yeh, remember when".  You can see that I have a lot of "remember when's".  I love it Amber and hope some day when your in your 70's you can look back and also say "remember when".  Have fun building, that's what it is all about. 

Wow, I love that both you and your wife have hobbies that you love and enjoy! Thanks so much for sharing, along with chatting about your PC. 

I'm going to show my boyfriend your speaker setup. He built custom dining tables for a while pre-covid before the wood was super expensive, I think this will make him a little jealous haha! Also, that's amazing - it must feel like you're in the experience with whatever you're doing—playing a game, or listening to music. 

I loved getting to know more about your hardware and your life! 🙂 I also hope when I reach 70 I have the same memories. 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes

Amazing! Congratulation for this super cool PC. Enjoy!!

Thank you so much, @sumanrawat2508 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes

Nice build!! Looks great and I like the color scheme. 

John Staradumsky
AMD BYO Champion for Micro Center

Thanks, John! I think I'll be sticking with this color scheme for a while 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
0 Likes
NemanjaKole
Adept I

Weee congratz bro may u get so much fps and to get as many wins as u can in games with this beast 🙂

Eeee thank you!! 🙂 So far so good, have had some wins and losses haha

Best,
Your friend at AMD