cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Axxemann
Forerunner

Help me troubleshoot this: Low fps with Sapphire Pulse RX6800XT

So I've got my custom loop done on Project Spectre. Loop is purged, no leaks. CPU is idling a bit high at around 40C. GPU is at a steady state of 30C. 

I went to run some benchmarks to see if I got any improvement... and the GPU scores TANKED. I'm not even breaking 60fps on an RX6800XT. When I was air cooled, I was throwing down Timespy GPU scores around 19500. Now that I'm water blocked, I can't even break 8000. Furmark causes an INSTANT crash and shutdown. 

I tried a few other benchmarks and I'm getting the same issue, can't even break 60fps when I was getting fps numbers in the triple digits uncapped. I checked my radeon settings and everything is still at default settings the way I left it before pulling the cooler off.

Do I need a fan jumper to trick the CPU into thinking the fan is still connected and spinning at 100%?

I didn't drop all this cash on water cooling to have to drain my loop, gut half of it and put the air cooler back on my card.

Performance over Pretty.
1 Solution

It was a bad water block mount. Pads were too thin, and so was the Kryosheet. Wasn't getting contact with the cold plate. Hotspot on the GPU die was idling at 110C after I popped HWINFO, Package temps never went above 35C.

I ended up taking the card out after draining my loop and bringing it into work with me so I could rethermal it. I had some thicker pads, and some MX-4 on hand. Between phone calls to Dispatch where I work, I got it sorted out. Back into the rig when I got home and refilled, purged the air and ran the pump on my spare PSU to look for leaks. All good, so I fired up and here we are. Hotspot is idling in the 30s. GOOD MOUNT!

Performance over Pretty.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
ghost13
Adept III

Hi. Could it be that you are on the CPU Graphics? What CPU do you have?

In the Bios settings are all lines x16 for the GPU?

Oh! Question: What CPU Block do you have? At the moment i am looking for a good one.

S@M
0 Likes

Impossible. It's a 5800X3D.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I would try the fan trick, put something just to do the benchmarks. Nothing to load.

The Englishman
ajlueke
Grandmaster

Timespy scores are mostly GPU dependent.  What are your GPU temps while running the benchmark?  How do the hotspots look in something like HWINFO?  

It was a bad water block mount. Pads were too thin, and so was the Kryosheet. Wasn't getting contact with the cold plate. Hotspot on the GPU die was idling at 110C after I popped HWINFO, Package temps never went above 35C.

I ended up taking the card out after draining my loop and bringing it into work with me so I could rethermal it. I had some thicker pads, and some MX-4 on hand. Between phone calls to Dispatch where I work, I got it sorted out. Back into the rig when I got home and refilled, purged the air and ran the pump on my spare PSU to look for leaks. All good, so I fired up and here we are. Hotspot is idling in the 30s. GOOD MOUNT!

Performance over Pretty.
Duron999Mhz
Adept II

As ajueke mentioned, what are the temperature values for the GPU and components ? A good free program is HWinfo64 and it shows some good detail for these values. 

Also, what CPU are you using ? Just to cover your bases, are the settings in bios correct or are they on default by chance ?

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Did you do a recent Windows 11 update?  The latest version has hurt the frame rate a bit.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I'm avoiding Win11 like the everloving PLAGUE. It's bad enough that I had to buy a new activation key because Micro$soft stopped honoring the legacy upgrade licenses back in OCTOBER. Thankfully, it was only $20 on one of the 3rd party Key sites.

Performance over Pretty.
jaandoh
Challenger

Nice to hear you got it sorted out, and thanks for sharing the resolution too,

I'd love a custom loop, I'm envious of not having one, but I've stuck with aio since I'm a scaredy cat 😂

0 Likes

Fear not. IT can be daunting and frustrating AF, but once it's done and working properly it's something that you can 100% call CUSTOM.

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes