cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

alonzotg
Adept II

Ded 5900x

Hey, I have a gaming PC with a 5900x /48 gb of CAS14 PC3200... Everything on the CPU side was set to auto, everything on the memory was set to the XMP profile 1 settings. So early morning creeps along and I finally get to bed. Next morning I come down stairs, and it was unresponsive. I tried to boot the thing with the reset button, and subsequently with every trick I knew. It would get to the winsuck 10 logo and stop. -- just stop, nothing... 

I have been building my own machines since *cough* 1991... I was stumped. Took the machine in for repairs fearing the worst for the drives. The report came back that the issue was the CPU. The CPU had burned out and it was the only part that needed to be replaced to bring the machine back.  The thing is on it's second motherboard, the previous was a Gigabyte which sucked. (gigabyte is the Chinese word for garbage..)  The new one was a nice MSI board, worked like a champ since installed.   Since I also have a threadripper (3960) on the same floor, I had dedicated 240v outlets installed for my computers, so the machine has basically unlimited power from the wall and tons of headroom for the 4090... Thermally the machine is ideal, it's in a massive thermaltake chassis with lots of breathing room, 280mm radiator on the CPU and a 240mm radiator on the GPU. All other fan slots are populated with appropriately directed fans. 

I'm not ready to design a new machine so I had the same model processor installed (though a later stepping...)

3 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

If your 5900X machine wouldn't get past the Windows 10 logo, I believe it's not a failed CPU.  It could have been a corrupted boot drive, or memory that was choking on the XMP profile settings.  The system would not get into loading software with a failed CPU.  However, if this happened on the second motherboard, it could be that the first motherboard did some damage to the CPU that finally surfaced.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
otacon
Adept III

The CPU probably isn't dead if it boots. The UEFI usually tests functionality of hardware on startup. It could be your OS installation that is the issue.

The machine works perfectly and the only repair that was done was to replace the defective CPU.