cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Custom GPU bracket for TOTB-2, my workbench gaming computer

I recently upgraded the GPU in my TOTB-2 workbench gaming computer, going from a Radeon RX 580 GPU to the new Radeon RX 7800 XT GPU from Sapphire.  My temporary GPU support bracket (piece of wood trim from our Australian Cypress hardwood floor install a decade ago) needed to be more secure.  Well, you know how I like to bend metal bars and such, so yes, I made a GPU support bracket out of 1" aluminum bar.  I bent it into shape, drilled a hole in the base, and attached it to my shelving unit so it would be secure.  I played a few rounds of World of Tanks - Blitz (everyone knows this is my favorite game right now) and everything is working well.  This project took about an hour, with half the time spent trying to figure out a way to drill and then screw in the screw with all that computer stuff in the way.  I finally had to pull the video card out a bit so a longer Phillips screwdriver could reach down and turn the screw into the partially drilled screw hole.  I used an adjustable wrench to turn the shaft of the Phillips screwdriver a 1/4 turn at a time while I pushed down on it from above.

It pays to have a few vices in life.It pays to have a few vices in life.

Ok, the GPU support bracket is bent and drilled.  Ready for installation.Ok, the GPU support bracket is bent and drilled. Ready for installation.

Booting up after installing the GPU support bracket, which you can see below the GPU.Booting up after installing the GPU support bracket, which you can see below the GPU.

There is that screw that was hard to reach, even with my vast assortment of tools.  I was aware of the two spinning fans that I didn't want to obstruct.There is that screw that was hard to reach, even with my vast assortment of tools. I was aware of the two spinning fans that I didn't want to obstruct.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
3 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This hand-crafted bracket is working out nicely.  Thanks for asking....

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

Nicely done @BigAl01 Looks like it worked out.

You should think about investing in a small 3d printer. You can easily adjust settings to get Height and width you would want. Couple examples below.

Albert Einstein Bust 3D Scan by 3DWP - Thingiverse

Albert Einstein musculoso by andersonacavalcante - Thingiverse

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've thought about the 3D-printer several times as the prices have come down, but I still haven't pulled the trigger.  I guess I just can't think of things I would want to construct with it.  I would like to have a bust made of me with more hair though....

If only he had access to a Big Al's Computer...If only he had access to a Big Al's Computer...

0 Likes