cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Subsilent00
Adept III

Building my 1st PC

I have an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X CPU, Gigabyte Radeon RX 7900 XTX GPU, and an Aorus X670e Master motherboard. The motherboard and graphics card are themed Marvel, with Captain America, Thor, Black Widow, Iron Man, Black Panther and Captain Marvel.

For now, I'm looking for a great case for this build, and also what'd be a recommendation on power supply, particularly the wattage for such a build. Other parts that are recommended will help also, like memory, storage, etc. I'll probably do an AIO cooler, but I might wait on Noctua's revision of NH-D15, which I believe comes out early next year. I know the memory needs to be ddr5, but how high should I go?

It'll be an incredible build. And I'll take my time with it, so no hurry on responses. Anything will be appreciated. 

39 Replies
Subsilent00
Adept III

The case needs to be an E-ATX form factor. 

AgCN3
Adept III

Take a look at these:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/p/pc-cases/cc-9050005-ww/icue-5000x-rgb-signature-series-mid-tower-sma...

I built my newest rig in a 5000X RGB and I love it!

Cheers!👍

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
AgCN3
Adept III

These are the E-ATX ones.  SOrry I missed that in my first reply.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/c/pc-cases?filter=formatted_tech_specs.Case%20Motherboard%20Support::E...

Ryzen 9 5950X|Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon 6950XT|128GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4-3600 (4x32)|ASUS Crosshair Dark Hero VIII|Corsair iCUE 5000X RGB|Corsair iCUE H150i AIO|Samsung G55A 32" Monitor|Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I have the old Carbides fully black. It's a great Case IMO

maxwlh
Adept I

check out the PSU cultist. A-tier PSUs are recommended for quality construction and power delivery.

https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Doc_Gonzo
Adept I

Personally, I like the Lian Lii cases. The Lian Li O11 Dynamic would be my choice for an E-ATX  build. They also do an XL version if needed.  I also like the dual chamber design - if you can cope with the size of the thing! 

I have a similar build and went for the Corsair 1000X PSU. You could probably get away with the 850W but I like to have decent headroom for future upgrades etc. Make sure it's at least 80 Plus Gold certified and modular. 
Seasonic are a good manufacturer and are the OEM for many of the Corsair and Antec PSU's. Always worth looking at teardown reviews of any PSU to see who actually makes the 'guts' of it'.

I did a fair bit of research on NVMe drives. The ones with DRAM and TLC NAND are more durable and reliable. I found a handy spreadsheet listing most models. I would at least use one of that type for the main boot drive. The Gen 5 drives run very hot and are also rather expensive. The real world performance gains are not worth it IMO. I am using a Crucial P5 Plus and the 2TB drives are now nearly the same price as what I paid for my 1TB drive at the start of the year!

Going against my own advice, I am about to buy a 4TB Crucial P3 Plus (No DRAM cache, QLC NAND) . It's cheap (relatively speaking)  and big, and I only intend for it to hold my games. Both drives have a 5 year warranty from Crucial though.

I haven't looked at DDR5 for a while but when I bought mine 6000Mhz was the 'sweet spot' for AM5 builds. I would grab a 32Gb kit (2 x 16) for normal use / gaming. Stick to major brands like Kingston, G-Skill, Crucial and Corsair -  with Expo. More if you need it for work?  if I was buying now, I'd go for the G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB (CL 30) kits - I hear that they overclock well!

Happy Building!

ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E | AMD 7950X | Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX PULSE | Corsair 1000X | LIAN LI Galahad 360 AIO | Kingston FURY Beast RGB (2x16GB) 6000MHz DDR5 | Crucial P5 Plus 1TB | Seagate Exos 18TB | Phanteks G500A DRGB |

Lian Li was my first PC build.  The case you linked to is very nice.  Excellent pick!

Subsilent00
Adept III

Thanks for the replies so far! It's very helpful seeing what parts y'all used on everyone's builds. I'll post the remaining components once I've gathered everything. I'm taking my time, doing more research, and looking at more information. Chime in anytime, anyone! 

tenzo23
Elite

Nice parts for your first PC!

Some cases that haven't already been mentioned -

• Fractal Design Pop XL Air
  • Lian Li Lancool III
  • Hyte Y60
  • Montech AIR 903 Max (pretty nice for under $80)
/sig Fun guy.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've been very happy with my recent build for the Steampunk contest (which ends on 30 September 2023), in which I used the Seasonic Vertex GX-1200, a 1200 watt 80+ gold, ATX 3.0 / PCIe 5.0 compliant fully modular PSU.  It cost me about $315 a few months ago.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

Take all those parts and build your own case themed how you want. 

Subsilent00
Adept III

I'm here to learn from others and see recommendations. It is already themed Marvel. Maybe I'll find the help to custom water cool it and build a custom case. I'll post pictures eventually. But looks aren't really my thing, I do think things should match though. Efficiency on power usage is also why I'm here! For this hot CPU, GPU, 360 AIO, say 6 fans, 64 gbps ddr5 ram, and (2)PCIe 4.0 ssds, 2 terabytes each; What is the most efficient power supply wattage I should go with? Learning what components are quality is also why I'm here. Maybe those that know the numbers at AMD will reach out! Always apply yourself and see what the outcome will be! 

Oorado
Adept I

We've got a very similar rig. I've gone for an Asus motherboard though.

For memory I've gone for 2x16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHz and can add more if/when I might need it.

An M.2 SSD, or two if you have the money, of whatever capacity you feel you need. Two gives the nice redundancy of a storage drive and a working drive.

I've gone for the Noctua NH-D15, but didn't know they were doing a revision - what's going to be improved on the new version?

It sounds like you've got a big theme running through your parts already, so you need a case to display it all, right? Something with a nice glass or half-glass panel and some RGB. An AIO cooler would go best with something like that. 

You need 1000W PSU, no more, no less - unless you're thinking of adding any more power hungry components in future. 

Subsilent00
Adept III

Noctua plans to launch the second-generation NH-D15 in the second quarter of 2024. It'll have a pair of next-gen Noctua 140mm cooling fans. It has 8 heatpipes now. Better PCIe clearance. 

140mm A-series fans will release Q1. 

SPRK
Adept I

Always nice to read about a themed build.

• Check the distance between the CPU cooler and memory banks / check the memory height.
  • Depending on the case, check the PSU depth.
  • As it is your firtst build, I wouldn't care about that 1 or 2 additional FPS and go for QVL listed memory.
    I have a hardware issue (build many systems) and had to go back for QVL listed RAM to receive support. It's nice when it all works, until it doesn't.
  • I use a Dark Rock Pro 4 on a 7900x3D, which keeps it cool and quiet.

Just a thought:
Why would you invest up front for an unknown upgrade?
I did it in the past as well, where I never had any benefit from it.
By the time I did an upgrade, technology improved or newer revisions where there.
It's good to set a boundary somewhere 😉

eebiii
Forerunner

Sounds like you need a nice custom wood case for that marvel theme. I would hit up @Weber462. He designs nice wood cases.

Subsilent00
Adept III

I didn't invest in these. I won them. AORUS Unleashed – Download Your Custom Wallpaper Look for Avenger Portrait. I actually got the 1 I preferred. All the designs look outstanding though! And what makes it even better is that I had that CPU from a previous win. So, I did need these for that build. Like I said before, always apply yourself and see what the outcome will be! 

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and knowledge! And for the people at AMD and here, y'all have my gratitude! 

eebiii
Forerunner

So you designed the wallpapers for that contest? Im not understanding that contest but its closed.

I really like the Avengers Battle red glowing brick background. Gets the ideas turning in my head. 

Subsilent00
Adept III

It was a giveaway by AMD, Marvel, and Gigabyte/Aorus. I just signed up through their gleam link and did the steps. I didn't come here to boast about it. SPRK asked the question, so I gave the answer. Now everyone can see the designs if they like. I'm here to learn from others and see suggestions, maybe someone can take that wallpaper and put it on a case for me, we'll see. I'm taking my time still. No hurry on anything. All things come to those who wait!

eebiii
Forerunner

I never meant to imply you were boasting. I think it's really cool!

I have also seen custom rigs with comic book enclosures. Not sure if it is hand painted or applied some other way, but it comes out spectacular. 

Subsilent00
Adept III

On this monitor, it's a vinyl wrap sticker. That'll be how it'll go on the case. But if you look at that wallpaper, it actually shows more than what's on this vinyl sticker. They had to cut it to fit it. It'd be great to get the full wallpaper onto an outstanding e-atx case! 

eebiii
Forerunner

Maybe something like this. Not sure what case he built this in but can get the ideas going.

This Stan Lee Marvel comic book PC build is incredible | Custom PC

kalykagnes
Adept I

So you're the one who won :D?

Subsilent00
Adept III

One of Five! Four others got equally the same incredible prizes! 

eebiii
Forerunner

I know for a fact I have seen a comic book vinyl wrapped pc case before. I just cant find it anywhere. If you google marvel vinyl wrap it brings up a ton of car wraps but not alot of small vinyl wrap lol

Avengers ITASHA anime car wrap vinyl stickers Fit With Any Cars (carwrapstore.com)

MavenMench
Adept I

I know this case was mentioned already, but specifically, the HYTE Y60 Red/Black variant would be an excellent choice to display your Marvel-themed components.

Anthoering
Adept II

I won't go with anything less than 64GB for memory anymore.  You need a case with as much glass as you're comfortable with to show off the cool Marvel components.

kfpwb
Adept I

E5 and X99!

jhonwick0010
Journeyman III

I know this case was mentioned already, but specifically, the HYTE Y60 Red/Black variant would be an excellent choice to display your Marvel-themed components. And you Also visit Office Building Cleaning

Subsilent00
Adept III

Went ahead and got a Crucial T700 4TB Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD - Up to 12,400 MB/s - DirectStorage Enabled - CT4000T700SSD3 - Gaming, Photography, Video Editing & Design - Internal Solid State Drive on Amazon. Crucial offers 1, 2, or 4 TB with heatsink option if you need one for your motherboard. As of today the 4 TB version is $390. 

I'm in talks with a guy in CA who can help with a vinyl wrap for a case.  I'm thinking about getting the O11 XL.  Still looking at what's coming out though. 

Subsilent00
Adept III

I just bought the New 2024 Crucial Pro Overclocking RAM 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MHz (or 5600MHz) Desktop Memory CP2K16G60C36U5B. On Amazon it's $93 right now! There will be a 2x 24gb kit that will release later in the year. 6,000 MHz is the sweet spot with AMD EXPO! 

I'm waiting out on Noctua's New 140mm fans and air cooler!

https://noctua.at/en/product-roadmap

You can see my system I'm using as of now:

https://community.amd.com/t5/battle-stations/helios-predator/m-p/669825#M573

FPSGamer
Journeyman III

I have that same Card in my upcoming build; look at the sick case I got for it. https://powergpu.com/product/p-series-best-amd/?share_key=gr962xc9q 

Subsilent00
Adept III

After Noctua releases their new fans and cooler, I will be making my decision on an excellent case then.  

HeyDoeAUD
Adept II

Hi... if its for gaming have you looked at the benchmarks for the 7900x3d and the 7800x3d... the 7800x3d provides better fps and performance for gaming out of the box.

jaandoh
Challenger

I went for the MSI x670e mobo and similar cpu and one step down on the gpu, with  corsair 5000x case, I note that the cpu can generate lots of heat and maybe I would prefer to try an external radiator next time round, I used a 360mm AIO which works okay but I still check the temps regularly lol... 

I used an 850 gold corsair psu... 

I posted the specs and pics here towards the backend of last year... 

https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building/upgrade-after-6-years-of-solid-service/m-p/642008#M2844

HeyDoeAUD
Adept II

I went with Deepcool.  if you want an AIO in black the new Mystique from Deepcool is sensational.  Their prices are good and they have displays you can utilize for CPU/GPU temps.  Check my build and comment if you have any questions or u feel the components could be better > https://community.amd.com/t5/battle-stations/2024-march-sweepstakes-heydoeaud-s-first-ever-amd-radeo...

AgCN3
Adept III

Muh Rig...  Mmmkay.

Muh AMD 5950X-6950XT-128GBRAM-Monster - 1.1.jpgMuh AMD 5950X-6950XT-128GBRAM-Monster -2.1.jpg

Subsilent00
Adept III

I just a 2nd M.2. It's a Crucial 2024 T705 2TB PCIe Gen5 NVMe M.2 SSD. There's a deal today on it for $282. I think the operating system should be on a separate drive. I'll use the other 4TB T700 for game storage and such. This motherboard supports 2 Gen5 SSds. 

Add "bought" to my 1st sentence.