cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

Jayadinesh
Adept I

Building a PC with Ryzen 7 7800X3D and ASUS TUF B650 Plus Wifi - Exploding Motherboard Concern

I'm in the process of putting together a new PC build and I'm very interested in the Ryzen 7 7800X3D CPU. I've also been looking at the ASUS TUF Gaming B650 Plus Wifi motherboard as a potential pairing. However, I've come across posts about a potential issue with ASUS B650 motherboards and the 7800X3D CPU causing them to explode. While the information I found seems a bit dated, I'm still a little concerned. Is this exploding motherboard issue something that I should still be worried about in 2024? Have ASUS addressed the problem, or is it still a concern for those building with this combination of components? Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

2 Solutions
FunkZ
Forerunner

I believe OP is referring to SoC overvolt condition of 7000-series X3D processors at initial launch in January 2023, which was causing some chips to become damaged, some even to the extent of damaging the motherboard socket.

To my knowledge this has been corrected by all motherboard manufacturers via BIOS update more than a year ago.

Gamers Nexus "exploded" the Ryzen 7800X3D

AMD has fixed the issue burning out Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT

View solution in original post

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Ya they probably fixed it with a Bios update

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

View solution in original post

7 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've never heard of exploding motherboards.  Please post links to some of these stories.  I find it hard to believe.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

It was a typo on the title. I was meant to say cpu not motherboard.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

I believe OP is referring to SoC overvolt condition of 7000-series X3D processors at initial launch in January 2023, which was causing some chips to become damaged, some even to the extent of damaging the motherboard socket.

To my knowledge this has been corrected by all motherboard manufacturers via BIOS update more than a year ago.

Gamers Nexus "exploded" the Ryzen 7800X3D

AMD has fixed the issue burning out Ryzen 7000 X3D CPUs

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks @FunkZ .  I remember the issue of over-volting the CPU and damaging it.  I didn't remember anything about an exploding motherboard.  

I think this is no longer a concern, @Jayadinesh .

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Yes you are right. It was a typo. I'll update the bios with bios flashback just to be safe :).

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Ya they probably fixed it with a Bios update

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

That's great :). Thanx for the reply.