cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

AM5, Goodtime to build? or wait for prices to drop more?

I'm looking to do an AM5 build at some point but was waiting until MBs and ram came down in price. Pricing has seemed to have dropped quite a bit already. Now should I wait a bit longer and why? I'm looking at doing a 7800X3D in an ITX or M-ATX form factor with DDR5

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I also noticed that prices have been falling, especially on storage devices (M.2).  Video cards are still expensive but not like they used to be and they are available.  I would go for it this summer.

I'm building my first AM5 computer right now.  Picking the right components is tough though.  I have a 7900X CPU and a 7900XT video card.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

To be honest.. If I had your setup I wouldn't be doing an upgrade.

But if you want to surf alongside the best of the best, the 4090 and 7800X3D will be a Killer PC. 

The Englishman

Oh I'm not upgrading, I'm doing a new custom build for a project I'm working on

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Ah, nice. DDR5 and CPU are more affordable but boards didnt got cheaper, not one bit. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I would not down grade to a Ryzen 5 from a Ryzen 9 but wait for the Ryzen 9 to drop a bit and upgrade that way. I waited two generations to do my upgrade and actually my Ryzen 9 3900x was ruinning COD quite alright but when i got a good deal from microcenter for the combo MB, CPU and ram I could not pass it up and went with the Prime X670 with the Ryzen 9 7900X and I could not be happier.

Don't get me wrong, I am all about upgrading as I used to do that about every 6 months when something new would come out. I have found though over time I do not need two and wait two years to complete my new build, which I did around February of this year. I also used the same GPU I had as I just changed my custom loop to fit a new case and love the new look and power.