cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Building

thecatsandi
Adept I

3970X running hot?

Coretemp is reporting mid 70s degrees C. My ThermalTake 240 radiator is around 40C. Radiator fans are turned all the way up as is the liquid pump.

Room temp is 21.5C. CPU load is 100%. BOINC is keeping it busy.

I followed all AMD recommendations for placing the paste. I expect I may have a thermal transfer problem between the CPU and water block.

More paste? Bigger radiator? more radiators? or is this just going to be the hottest processor ever?

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X; MSI TRX40 Pro 10G; MSI Nvidia 2070
ThermalTake Pacific W6 water block; ThermalTake 240 radiator
0 Likes
1 Solution

If you have Windows 10 installed try using Ryzen Master to monitor your processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-processors/amd-ryzen-...

But if you have Windows 11 then use some other monitoring software like Hwinfo or Open Hardware Monitor or HWmonitor to verify your processor temps.

I also have Core Temp but needed to use Temperature Offsets to get it close to Ryzen Master's. temps.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Threadripper are very high TDP rated processors. The one you have is rated at 280 Watts TDP. So you will need a very powerful over 300 Watt TDP rated CPU Cooler.

Your Processor Maximum Operating Temperture is 95c after that it will throttle and slow down or shut down to avoid heat damage if the temperature continues to rise.

Here is AMD ThreadRipper CPU Cooler recommendations: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

From the link above showing all ThermalTake CPU Coolers:

Screenshot 2023-02-19 214112.png

Thank You for the detailed gathering of information.  right now the MSI CPUID is reporting 280Watts. I have CoreTemp set to sleep the computer if it gets over 82C. That should keep the fans and pump running.

I am going to look at getting a larger radiator and fan setup since It is winter here and I expect the computer is not going to be happy in the summer.

If you have Windows 10 installed try using Ryzen Master to monitor your processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/cpu/amd-ryzen-processors/amd-ryzen-threadripper-processors/amd-ryzen-...

But if you have Windows 11 then use some other monitoring software like Hwinfo or Open Hardware Monitor or HWmonitor to verify your processor temps.

I also have Core Temp but needed to use Temperature Offsets to get it close to Ryzen Master's. temps.

I have ordered a new case that will allow for two or three radiators. It is winter here and I do not have Air Conditioning in my house as we rarely need it. The computer will be running very hot come summer.

I have ordered more thermal paste. I suspect there may not be enough. When I move everything from the old case to the new one I will be able to see what the coverage looks like.

Did the more rad help

0 Likes

I have the same block with a 480 rad 60mm thick my temp still hit 93c

0 Likes

Yes. I ended up installing three radiators. One 360 in the front a 240 in the bottom and a 240 in the top. 850ml of coolant. Reservoir and pump feed the center of the water block, up to the top radiator then the front radiator and then the bottom one, return to reservoir.

Temps are topping out at 50c and idle at 30c.

0 Likes
thecatsandi
Adept I

Thank you for the link. I downloaded the software and installed it. Right now Ryzen Master and Core Temp are reporting the same temps withing 0.3C.  Looks like Core temp is reasonably accurate.

Thanks for the update.

Yes it does seem like Core Temp has improved it monitoring process to be more compatible with Ryzen processors.

NOTE: I use Core Temp using one of my Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets to show me constantly my Ryzen processor temperatures all the time. This way I know if my CPU Cooler is having issues.

The temperatures in the Gadget is from Core Temp which the Gadget uses to get its temperatures from:

Screenshot 2023-02-25 094200.png

Plus Core Temp also shows the temperature in my Windows Hidden Icon task bar.

EDIT: I am using Windows 11 with Windows 7 Desktop Gadgets.