cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Went to Microcenter today, and....

I went to Microcenter to get a small UPS to support my home network.  But of course I had to ask if they had any of those AMD Ryzen 5 5600X3D CPUs in stock.  Of course they did.  And there was a bundle deal that made it even better - the Asus B550-Plus WiFi II ATX motherboard and 16 GB (2 X 8 GB) G. Skill 3200 DDR4 RAM.  So I couldn't help myself.  I just built a computer.  I can't keep building computers every month!

A bundle of joyA bundle of joy

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
27 Replies
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

lol, you have the same problem as me. That's how I ended up with the new one. Went in for RAM, and came out with a whole ITX build ha

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
rtbh99
Challenger

you can send it to me i will take it off your hands :]

---
lets talk about rtbh99
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@rtbh99 - Are you trying to save my marriage?  I was already pushing the limits when I built 'Wine-Time', and I'm almost afraid to tell my wife about this purchase.  It's like I had the devil on my shoulder saying, "Do it!  They are going to sell out fast!  You have a Microcenter credit card.  You're a big boy now!".  

At first, I pretended not to see this.At first, I pretended not to see this.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

im in need of a home server, we could put that 5600x3d in my husbands pc and use the 3900x for a server. ive never been to a microcenter, closest i got was about 15 miles away in los angeles, which might as well be 50 miles.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

I am so envious that you have a Microcenter near you!! 

But also lucky for my bank account 😂 this exact thing would happen to me. Go in for one thing, and then walk out with 3 extras haha. 

I think the nearest one from me is in Houston which is about a 3-hour drive.. maybe I need to take a field trip one day. 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

I would go bankrupt if one was in Austin for sure. I would likely have two or three rigs and a very unhappy fiancee 😂

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I bet she would love a new hand-built computer as a wedding gift.  Let your family know.

PythonCoderPro
Challenger

I can't keep building computers every month!

Yeah, I should say so!!!!

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

I dont mind building lots of them, they are down bellow in the buildings garage.. EErrrrhem... Youtube set. Thats more than 30meters (100foot) deep. The wife doesnt go there.

All is good, she only sees the one in the Living Room. 

The Englishman

Oh, I just noticed that your wife signed up for the forum @johnnyenglish ; it's only a matter of time before she reads this topic.....  😁

Well... if anyone notices that I'm absent from the forums for a large period of time, this might be the reason. 🤣

The Englishman

I wish you the best of luck with your situation.👍

Asus ZenBook UX407IQ, Ryzen 5 4500u with Radeon graphics, Nvidia mx350, 8gb LPDDR4X ram, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb SSD, Win11 home
Dragokar
Miniboss

I hope and wish you a lot of fun, even I must admit that I am a bit envy.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I confessed to the purchase yesterday when she came home from watching our grandkids (we have 2, Arthor (8) and Ora (12); they live 2 miles away with our son).  Better to face the music up front, rather than wait until the bill from Microcenter comes.  If I had used one of our regular credit cards, she would have known within hours and I would have been pinged for an explanation via text message.  

Now, here is the tough part.  We all know this CPU requires more than a motherboard and RAM.  There is the big issue of the video card, then an M.2 drive, maybe a new PSU, etc.  I do have a system I just decommissioned off my LAN that could provide the case and the PSU, and it's video card is the PowerColor RX580 Red Devil , which wouldn't do this new CPU justice of course.  But that could get the system built and I could wait for a new video card, right?  Oh, that would cost me a bit.....I really hate tossing a bunch of money at video cards.

This system was last updated in 2018 with the RX580 Red Devil video card and a boot SSD.This system was last updated in 2018 with the RX580 Red Devil video card and a boot SSD.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Always better to ask for forgiveness than ask for permission... lol

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Amazon did have the Samsung 990 Pro 1 TB on sale for $60. Of course I did have to pick on up as well just because it was such a good deal LOL

OriginalGreyWolf_0-1689531932652.png

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Since these M.2 Drives are still a great value, I ordered one for this new procurement cycle.  $95 including tax for the WD_BLACK SN850X NVMe M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I already have two of these in my 'Wine-Time' build.I already have two of these in my 'Wine-Time' build.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Just ordered the CPU cooler from Amazon.  

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black CPU Air Cooler, MF120 Halo² Fan, Dual Loop ARGBCooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black CPU Air Cooler, MF120 Halo² Fan, Dual Loop ARGB

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

or as the rest of the world calls the Hyper 212 "Ol' Faithful"

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

This is the new version.  It's much 'cooler' I think.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Very Punny Al lol

Love those lights!!!!

Big change coming.  I'm going to rebuild a different machine, my old 2011 'FX-8 Core Mathos Madness' machine.  This machine had become so slow under Windows 10 that just performing Windows updates was taking a few hours.  It even had a WD Raptor 500 GB HDD, but with us getting used to modern CPUs, I figured this was the one to rebuild.  And to my surprise, it has a CoolerMaster 1200 W Silent Pro Gold PSU!  Now that is my kind of power.  Anyway, I'm going to do some more modding on this Lian Li case and pull out the Mathos light and cut another hole in top so I can have some 140mm RGB fans spinning up there, pulling the heat out of this case.  In the next month, this should be something to follow.  In fact, I'm going to create a new blog for this rebuild.  Here it is.  

That other machine (Thermaltake Powerhouse) is now under my workbench, replacing the Mathos Madness machine.

The Mathos Madness machine will get the AMD 5600X3D CPU.The Mathos Madness machine will get the AMD 5600X3D CPU.

jaandoh
Challenger

I have to admit that the passion I see in everyone who builds their own PC's is kind of inspiring...

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You should give it a try.  It's pride of ownership I think.  If not that, then it's just being able to do something on your own and being successful in doing it.

I have the current one I'm working on lol 

I'm still awaiting the psu which I bought yesterday and should arrive today while I'm at work, lucky for me my partner will be at home to sign for it.

I'm also still waiting for the os to arrive too, maybe that will arrive today too... 

Ssd, cpu, cpu plate and mobo all fitted the other daySsd, cpu, cpu plate and mobo all fitted the other day

I'm raring to revisit old games and benchmark it once it's complete :video_game::pistol:🤞

Dragokar
Miniboss

**bleep** I want that 56X3D.....