cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

GA-DAWG
Adept I

Ryzen 7000 RAM Questions

In the process of building a new computer. I have a Ryzen 5 7600X and an ASUS ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming motherboard on the way, and now looking to get some quality RAM for my build, and have some questions for you. I have decided I will go with 32GB of G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series RAM, but which kit, I am unsure. This build will be primarily used for gaming and for my photography work, that's why I am going with 32GB. 

Should I go with faster and higher CL RAM, or go with slower RAM with lower CL?

Below are the two kits I am looking at. And would I even notice much of a difference between these two in real-world usage? Just trying to make the best decision before buying. Help me out RAM experts!

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 5600 CL28-34-34-89 

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

1 Solution
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @GA-DAWG 

G.Skill makes great memory kits! So, going with any of the two kits you've mentioned is already a good decision.

Technically speaking the lower the latency the better as it will take less time for the CPU to fetch data from the memory stick because of the lower number of clock cycles. 

That said, I'd go with the 6000MT kit seeing that the difference between the clock cycles (latency) is minimal, and you'll be future-proofing.  

I hope this helps! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello @GA-DAWG 

G.Skill makes great memory kits! So, going with any of the two kits you've mentioned is already a good decision.

Technically speaking the lower the latency the better as it will take less time for the CPU to fetch data from the memory stick because of the lower number of clock cycles. 

That said, I'd go with the 6000MT kit seeing that the difference between the clock cycles (latency) is minimal, and you'll be future-proofing.  

I hope this helps! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

to add, make sure both G-Skill RAM numbers are listed in your Motherboard's QVL List for the 7000 processor for best compatibility.

GA-DAWG
Adept I

Thanks again. I ended up going with the G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 Do not have all the rest of the components for my build, so I haven't been able to test the RAM. Should be great, though.