cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

RX 5600 XT Media PC

Is the RX 5600 XT powerful enough to push 4K video, and not have issues. I am looking to upgrade to a 4K television as the prices are now low enough that I can afford a decent one.

Would there be any issues trying to view movies and television shows through streaming services, HBOMax, Paramount+, etc.

I am aware of the Netflix way of handling video quality and their ridiculous plans that you have to buy to view 4K video, but I am almost certain that is just them.

I have gigabit internet so I should easily have the bandwidth to handle the streaming. I just don't want to buy a TV and be limited to 1080P video even though it is designed as a 4K TV.

This is basically the deciding factor behind whether or not I will buy a new TV or wait.

Thanks in advance for any and all input. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
6 Replies
Axxemann
Forerunner

I can't see why it couldn't push 4K video only. I think video playback is less resource intensive than gaming.

But then again, I've been wrong before. I'm gonna pay attention to this thread because I'm curious for the sake of my RX570. I might stick it back onto the old Mobo for use as an HTPC.

Performance over Pretty.
HMonk
Adept I

Many folks (me included) give the 5600 an OK but not great with 1440p. Depends a lot on monitor and what you are doing with it and what kind of performance you need. In 2021 I went with an RX 5700 XT (Gigabyte) because I am using a 32" 1440p 144Hz monitor, among other reasons. IF, (big if) your singular concern is 1440p capability, then the answer is yes, especially if yours is a 60Hz monitor. That said, there are so many factors to weigh when choosing a GPU. Money aside (not really) your system as stated would smile with an RX 5700 XT.

Buy new TV or wait? I have an LG 32GK650F-B 32" QHD Gaming Monitor with 144Hz Refresh Rate and Radeon FreeSync. Point is, I obtained this monitor with gaming in mind, especially MS Flight Sim. I obtained the RX 5700 XT with the monitor, the games I play, CPU, cooling I would need, etc. in mind. I think it best to not look at any one component in the abstract. All of the pieces of my rig have to play well together. 

Way back to your question, the RX 5600 XT will handle a 1440p. How well? What's well to you?

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

The Media PC is comprised of,

Asus Tuf Gaming B5550M-Plus Wifi II 

Ryzen 9 3950X

Thermaltake Toughair 510

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3200

MSI Radeon RX 5600 XT Gaming MX

CORSAIR RM850e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply

XPG SX6000 Lite M.2 2280 256GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive

Seagate 2TB HDD from an old external HDD that stopped working

LIAN LI O11 AIR MINI Black

I just want to use it to watch 4k video. My gaming rig is the one in my signature.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
DA1PUNISHER
Adept I

Navi 10 has VCN 2.0. It will handle decode of all the popular formats through VP9. If the media uses AV1 your Zen 3 5700X can brute force it no problem. 

Any thought on an RX5704GB FX8120 combo?

Performance over Pretty.

Polaris has UVD 6.3 which does not support either VP9 or AV1. So decoding something like say, Youtube 4K, is going to be done on the CPU. You can pull up stats for nerds and see how many frames it is dropping during playback.