cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Ketzkarov
Adept I

Recommend me new cpu

Hi guys, I currently have 3600X in Asus strix x570. Recently upgraded my gpu from 1080ti to 7900xtx. Currently the CPU is at 60% load in the games I play.(4k monitor) Was thinking to get 5800x3d since I can drop it in the current mobo, but then 7800x3d is about the same price, is it worthed spending few hundred more for the newer platform? (For new mobo and ram)

Second question,  if you think seven thousand series is the way to go, what mini itx mobo would you recommend? Case is CM NR200P

Thank you in advance:)

10 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Its all about 2 things

Money, do you have the budget to drop in a new platform?

Time, if you have the money then plan ahead. Start reading around and ask opinions.

Pick a board with plenty of options that suit you. Read carefully the QVL to get the right memory stick.

Don't forget to check if your PSU is up to the task plus a good water cooler.

Good luck 

The Englishman
Kalana
Challenger

Hi, since you chose the 7900XTX, I suppose you can switch platforms. However, since the two sockets are pretty similar, you'll still need to think about things like power efficiency, heat output, overclocking potential, expansion options, and overall performance.

AMD's pledged to support Ryzen 5000 series CPUs through at least 2025. If you remain with AM4. While, it still has a long life ahead of it. Nevertheless, even without an upgrade path, they provide outstanding single thread performance and great value. I don't think you'll strikingly notice a difference in performance in games, as the GPU plays a major role in it. So I'd stick with getting the most out of AM4 as long as it seems like fading out.

However, if you’re looking for a more powerful processor architecture with greater flexibility in terms of expansions and customization options for the time being, then AMD AM5 may be the better option for you.As the year draws to a close, AMD plans to release the Ryzen 8000, "Zen 5," which could make its debut in 2024. By then, the perspectives on cost and performance may begin to shift.

Ultimately though, the choice between these upgrading to AM5 will come down to personal preference.
Also, when looking for a motherboard, there are several factors to take into account, such as cost, functionality, and connectivity.

Given that Mini-ITX motherboards are significantly more expensive than their larger ATX counterparts, this is especially crucial for them. Though this results in fewer features and a smaller motherboard, though I have to admit, it does make for some incredibly small yet powerful PC builds.

I'd say The ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I is a good choice, as it is designed to be as good as an ATX by packing as much functionality as possible onto a small board. The Gigabyte B650I AORUS Ultra motherboard offers outstanding performance at an affordable price. Only lacks the GPU's PCIe 5.0 slot, but PCIe 4.0 is still sufficient to run the latest games. Similar to other boards, this one is not very conducive to overclocking if you are planning to, and when expansion cards and other parts are added to the PC build, you'll find it to be fairly limited. Even so, it still delivers excellent performance for a relatively affordable Mini ITX AMD system.

Take note that with the ITX build and the Ryzen and Radeon 7000s run extremely hot. Additionally, you'll need to invest in some very high performing cooling components.

The XFX 7900 XTX was successfully installed in an NR200P; there is approximately 03mm of space between the front panel, 02mm between the top hole, and 1.5mm between the bottom hole. To make sure the GPU is seated firmly and easily, I advise removing the bottom case panel. As the AIB manufacturers will differ, make sure your 7900XTX fits in.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Hello, @Ketzkarov 

I'm jealous, I wish I had the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX, it's a great GPU! 

About your questions.

CPU: I own an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, and it's by far the best CPU I've owned. Great for gaming! And the extra L3 Cache does wonders when it comes down to latency (which is practically removed). 

That said, if you have the budget, I suggest going with the AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D is worth it. 

"The Ryzen 7 7800X3D is the continuation of a well-received AMD CPU, the 5800X3D. With these CPUs, AMD uses its braided 3D V-cache technology to enhance the performance of the units. Keeping in mind that the Ryzen 7 5800X3D is still capable of battling against the newest CPUs, we can conclude that the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is a worthy CPU for gaming and even productivity tasks." - PC Guide

The way I see it is that you'll be future-proofing.

About the mobo, assuming you go AM5. I've owned both, the  ASUS and MSI motherboards, and never had issues with them. 

ASUS ROG Strix X670e-i Gaming Wi-Fi AM5

MSI MPG B650i Edge Wi-Fi AM5

Since you'll be running an AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX paired with an AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D processor, be mindful of your PSU (at least 1000w Gold) and the heat generated inside your CM NR200P case. Be sure you have plenty of airflow (Check out this article "How to Maintain a Healthy Gaming PC"). Be sure there's a nice layer of thermal paste on your CPU when installing the cooling fan. Speaking of fans, air cooling could be your best option, although you could look into AIOs but be sure they'll fit in the case before going down this route.

One more thing to keep in mind is your RAM. You'll want to pick up an AM5-ready memory kit, and configure AMD EXPO in the mobo's BIOS. (You'll find information about both AMD EXPO and suggested Memory Partners on that page). 

I hope you find this information helpful. 

And feel free to reply here - I'm sure lots of Red Team Members (@johnnyenglish @mengelag @cpurpe91 @blazek @elstaci @BigAl01 ) will not hesitate to help you! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
Ketzkarov
Adept I

Hi guys, thank you for your replies. Appreciate al the great points. I am not quite new to building but always good to to get second opinion 🙂  

Just few clarification on the original post.

3600X is not very demanding cpu, and I am not an extreme overlocker. Gone are the days when I was buying Kingpin GPUs. For this build I am going more causal - something i will shove inside my entertainment center and use my 77oled as screen. 7800xtx so far gives beautiful 4k120hz picture.  Currently my 3dmark timespy is 19 140 and graphics score 26, cpu score 7 257 and graphics score 26 919. Not the greatest 😞 Also for air cooling temps are in check as well, although some times fans a little louder them my liking. 

My initial plan was to get 4900 rtx but I am sick of nvidia and intel money grab last several years and decided to stick with AMD, even though is a bit behind. So, instead of dropping 1.6k on gpu i got the next best thing 7900 xtx. The card I got is the Powercolor hellhound - it is a tolerably quiet and luckily don't hear any coil-whine yet. It does run hot but within limits. I undervolted it a bit.  Don't have plans to water-cool it yet. My 1080ti EVGA was under water and although i was able to squeeze few extra frames and it lasted me for 6+ years i think with this one I don't what to go through the hassle. Still hope to get 5+ years of gamin out of it though.

It all runs out of 850W Cortsair PSU sfx.  I hope that will be enough and I wont need a 1000W. 

Currently use just 2 nvme - 1 tb for OS and 4tb fro games and other projects. Anything else, larger files,  not in constant use, goes to my nas. So no hdds in the case. No fancy lights in the case either. 

So for the CPU. I read great things about 5800x3d but also read 7 series is about 30% or so better. I am willing to drop 6-7hundred for an upgrade(the amount i saved from gpu). Currently microcenter has the 5800x3d for 299 or I can get one of their combos with cpu/mobo/ram and try to talk them into swapping the MB for an itx and pay the difference... they dont have 7800x3d in bundle at the moment, but they have 7900x for 600 with 64gb and mb. hopefully by thanksgiving 7800x3d will get some combo as well. 

I was looking into the the exact 2 mini itx boards Sam mentioned above but still cant make my mind. Leaning toward the Asus one, but still not sure. On the other hand MSI haves few bucks and offers similar features. I do not plan to overclock. may be just a little undervote to keep temps in check.  

As for cooling, I am aware I'll nee something more serios. So far I am planning to reuse my EVGA 280mm AIO from another pc. EVGA generally does pretty quality products, they haven't let me down yet. I am hopeful this will be enough to cool even the 7900x. 

So to sum it up, the upgrade budget is about 2k, about 1.2k already went to gpu, psu and case. nvme will be reused. AIO will be reused, might need to buy evga am5 bracket if i am going am5 route. Obviously I don't need to spend all, but I'd like to get best bang for the buck 🙂

lowteck
Miniboss

Screenshot 2023-10-16 141633.jpg

The single threading on the AM5 7600 should be plenty for your XTX.

and then then you can keep your TI with your 3600X.

Cheers, Good problem to have!

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Let me know if MicroCenter is willing to make a deal in swapping out components on a bundle.  I didn't think they would do that.  My last bundle with them was the AMD 5600X3D CPU with a motherboard and RAM.  I'm very happy with that system.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

I haven't tried talking to them, will wait to be closer to Thanksgiving, hopefully they'll come up with more deals. The discount they have on the bundle will pretty much offset the price of the itx MB and I'll have an extra MB that even if I cant return separately, i can try selling it on Facebook/Craigslist. So it will be like buying MB + CPU +RAM and get an extra MB as a bonus. Also I know people will say otherwise, but I think 32GB RAM are ok for me, so the combo should be in the ball park of 700$. The 7700X CPU is 400 with 32GB ram and MB at eh moment but I hope they'll come up with a 7800x3d combo for the holidays. I can wait few more weeks

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Waiting for the right time is the way to get the best deal.  However, I hate to wait.  

Sure, I can wait....for a few seconds.Sure, I can wait....for a few seconds.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

That is great compare, although i still think if I am going 7 series it gotta be 7800x3d   :D:D

What site you use for that compare if you don't mind me asking ? 🙂

passmark

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...