cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

minimum VRAM

How much VRAM should one be looking for to future proof their system?

How much for 8k video playback... Is this much more for  8k or 4k  video editing?

Present-day 4K gaming requires a higher end card, I know. 

What about light and medium gaming  vs 4K plus. 

Is there a lower end spec below which I shouldn't go if I want to continue using the hardware in the future?

Or is this all taken care of with a high end integrated gpu and fast RAM?

2 Solutions

The more vRAM on the Discrete GPU card the better. 

To future proof I would try to purchase the highest amount of vRAM installed on the GPU card that you can afford. Unfortunately, the more vRAM installed the more expensive the GPU card will be.

Today's APU IGPUs are comparable to most low and even some moderate level Discrete GPUs. But the biggest disadvantage is the amount of vRAM which is limited by the amount of System RAM you have installed and in BIOS settings by the OEM Motherboard.

This disadvantage is the main reason why Discrete GPUs will always be stronger than IGPUs due to the amount of vRAM it can support plus other high end features that might not be supported with IGPUs.

View solution in original post

There is normally a BIOS Limit by the manufacturer of your Motherboard on how much System RAM Memory you can use. So you would need to look in BIOS to see what is the maximum amount of System Ram BIOS will allow to set aside for your APU.

As of the Video Editing you need to look at the Minimum and Recommended System Hardware for the program you are using. It will give you a general idea of the type of GPU card you need.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

The more vRAM on the Discrete GPU card the better. 

To future proof I would try to purchase the highest amount of vRAM installed on the GPU card that you can afford. Unfortunately, the more vRAM installed the more expensive the GPU card will be.

Today's APU IGPUs are comparable to most low and even some moderate level Discrete GPUs. But the biggest disadvantage is the amount of vRAM which is limited by the amount of System RAM you have installed and in BIOS settings by the OEM Motherboard.

This disadvantage is the main reason why Discrete GPUs will always be stronger than IGPUs due to the amount of vRAM it can support plus other high end features that might not be supported with IGPUs.

Thanks, it's good to know that I can effectively upgrade iGPU VRAM by adding or upgrading the RAM.   Is there a hard minimum of VRAM for 8k video editing or 4k video editing or (or video playback for that matter) that anyone has experience with?

There is normally a BIOS Limit by the manufacturer of your Motherboard on how much System RAM Memory you can use. So you would need to look in BIOS to see what is the maximum amount of System Ram BIOS will allow to set aside for your APU.

As of the Video Editing you need to look at the Minimum and Recommended System Hardware for the program you are using. It will give you a general idea of the type of GPU card you need.