cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

jaandoh
Challenger

Looking a decent power supply...

A few years back I bought an aerocool strike-x 1100w psu with the intention of using it on the next build (this build)

But everywhere you look, people advise to steer clear of it, and after seeing that photo of the flames coming out of the pc, in one of the other psu threads, it frightened me lol 😱😂 

So maybe my requirements are not too big, maybe 550w-650w? And I can get away with using it?, since I'm not putting a heavy load on it?

Power required for :

• Mobo - X670 carbon (? w) 
  • Cpu - 120w (let's call it 130w) 
  • Vga - 266w (let's call it 270w)
  • AIO - 3x120mm + Pump head (?w) 
  • Case - 4x120mm (?w) 

On the off chance that I can't risk using the strike-x psu, because it's poor quality caps/parts inside, I've shortlisted the one below, will it suffice? 

be quiet! Pure Power 10M 850 Watt PCIe 5.0 80+ Gold

I should add that if the new vga card ever goes down, I would most likely use my old vga card, which needs 340w power...

So would the be quiet psu be okay for that too? 

1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

850 Gold or above should handle well.

Corsair, Seasonic, RoG (its Seasonic) or bequiet should all be solid picks.

The Englishman

View solution in original post

22 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

850 Gold or above should handle well.

Corsair, Seasonic, RoG (its Seasonic) or bequiet should all be solid picks.

The Englishman

Thank you, I'll have a browse at the prices for those ones during my dinner break today... 

Good recommendation. I like Seasonic units, both of mine have been high quality. Gold is a must, Bronze units can kick off a lot of heat.

DipakJ27
Adept III

I'd advise against using the Aerocool Strike-X 1100W PSU, especially given the safety concerns you've mentioned. While it might seem like overkill to get an 850W PSU for your current setup, the be quiet! Pure Power 10M 850 Watt PCIe 5.0 80+ Gold is a great choice for future upgrades and provides ample headroom for your current components.

Here's a breakdown of your power requirements:

1. Motherboard: X670 Carbon - Approximately 50W
  2. CPU: 120W (let's call it 130W)
  3. GPU: 266W (let's call it 270W)
  4. AIO: 3x120mm fans + pump head - Approximately 30W
  5. Case: 4x120mm fans - Approximately 20W
  6. Total estimated power consumption: 490W

As you can see, even with a high-end GPU like the RTX 3080, your total power consumption would still be under 600W. This leaves plenty of headroom for future upgrades, such as a more powerful CPU or GPU.

Additionally, the be quiet! Pure Power 10M is a high-quality PSU with an 80+ Gold efficiency rating. This means that it will convert at least 87% of the power it draws from the wall into usable power for your components.

This will not only save you money on your electricity bill, but it will also help to keep your PC running cooler and quieter.

Dipakjadhav

Thank you for the breakdown, that's super.

Fadinajem
Adept I

you can use corsair hx850i

https://soldfy.se/apple-laddare-och-kablar

Thank you pointing out the corsair 850 psu... 

I was swayed towards the be quiet because it's dual rail and it's about £100 here or just under,... 

otacon
Adept III

Get a Seasonic, or a Superflower. I have bought 2 Seasonic PSUs and have no complaints. Currently I am using a Seasonic GX 750W. It is able to run fanless most of the time, and the signal out is very clean compared to some OEM PSUs I have. I'm not sure if be quiet! makes their own units or not. I know that Corsair and EVGA units are often manufactured by Seasonic.

Dragokar
Miniboss

Seasonic is nice and very reliable but for me a bit too noisy under load. The Pure Power 12M 850W is a very nice unit in a proper price range. You can also go with the Thermaltake Tough Power GF series or the FSP Hydro GT Pro, depends on where you are living and what the prices are. I use a Corsair RM850 2021 edition and I am fine with it.

jaandoh
Challenger

Thank you everyone for all the good advice 👍

While at work today, I ordered the be quiet 850 10M and my budget is all spent up. It only came with a 5yr warranty (I think it's the same model as the 12M but not 10year warranty). 

If it goes pear shaped, like my first graphic card on the X370 did, then I'll go for the seasonic next time, but only if I can afford it, otherwise I'll have to sulk for weeks on end lol 😂

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I have found the 'be quiet' series of PSUs and other computer components to be of high quality.  I think you will be happy.  Here is where I used an 1200 W version from Be Quiet.  

More power available makes me a happy camper.More power available makes me a happy camper.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
jaandoh
Challenger

That's a monster!

Not only 1200w but platinum too not gold 🤤

I loved that desk too, and you did all the frame yourself too, on first looks I thought it was a classy desk that you buy in the expensive shops... 

But yeah it's fantastic 👌

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

That work bench was built by my father, I think back in the 1970's.  He was also an electrical engineer, but he had wood working skills that I never really developed.  He passed in 1990, so I took possession of the work bench.  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Apologies everyone, I've accepted this as the answer because I have big clumsy fingers and don't know how to unaccept it lol... 

Sorry to hear of your father's passing in 1990... 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

No problem.  I’m not sure how to unaccept a solution either.  But do you have an idea of what to look for now?  There are several good PSU manufacturers and some questionable ones too.  Stick with the name brands.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Oh, I just figured out how to unaccept the solution.  This topic is still looking for a solution now.

Thank you, Can anyone unaccept a solution? 

Or does it have to be unaccepted by a moderator? 

0 Likes
lowteck
Miniboss

I have great luck with both Corsair and Thermaltake.

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...

I personally use Superflower Leadex III Gold 850W and it's been fantastic. Superflower also makes PSUs for other brands, too.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital

I've only heard good things about SuperFlower units. I was thinking of getting one of their units for a new machine. Glad to hear yours is running well

Awol
Challenger

Had the Corsair RM750 X on my previous build (5600X/6700XT) on the new build i opted for the Corsair RM1000 X with some cables from the Cablemod Pro series.

X570 Aorus Elite / Ryzen 9 5900X / Sapphire Nitro+ RX6900 XT SE / 64GB Quad Kit Kingston Fury Black 3600MHZ CL16 / RM1000 X PSU

jaandoh
Challenger

I've accepted the first response by johnnyenglish... 

Thank you everyone for all your good advice/ replies.