Part Recommendations

zakalwe
Adept II

Is the 6800 XT a good buy right now?

I'm upgrading from an R9 290X.

CPU: i5-11600k

RAM: 32gb 3600 ballistix

Board: Z590 strix

The 290X has lasted me until now, and I recently changed from LGA1155 / i7-3770k, looking to get a GPU now that'll last me just as long hopefully. I will be watercooling it so + the price of a waterblock too.

1 Solution
Zer0GriD
Adept I

i'll give you my 6800xt oc 12gb if you want it.

Asus Sage wrx80 plus, 5955wx pro, 512gb 3200 ram ecc, watercooled, 5tb {2tb 0 raid}, Radeon Pro w6800

View solution in original post

60 Replies
eebiii
Miniboss

If you can find something around $600. I would say its a good buy. And a giant leap from the 290X.

Found this at my local Microcenter. 

PowerColor AMD Radeon 6800 XT Red Devil Overclocked Triple-Fan 16GB GDDR6 PCIe 4.0 Graphics Card - M...

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

0 Likes
zakalwe
Adept II

$600 no chance. 

I can get them about £650.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/?query=RX%25206800%2520XT&sortBy=production_ocuk_price_asc

All the 'versions' are all the  same  card right, just with pre-overclocks etc? Since i'm watercooling and will OC myself anyway, just get the cheapest 6800 XT I can find?

eebiii
Miniboss

Didn't know you were across the pond. £599.99 is still $750. So that card at Microcenter is a steal! Would pay for block with money you save. See if they will price match a USA store lol

what is your monitors resolution and refresh rate?

---
lets talk about rtbh99

It's also about 13 years old, I'm looking at a new one, 27 or 34", 1ms with freesync etc. (any reccomendations?)

Zer0GriD
Adept I

i'll give you my 6800xt oc 12gb if you want it.

Asus Sage wrx80 plus, 5955wx pro, 512gb 3200 ram ecc, watercooled, 5tb {2tb 0 raid}, Radeon Pro w6800

yeah sure if you're just giving it away is that even a question? haha. no but seriously if you're serious I would accept it. or just buy it for cheap. UK I take it?

i'm in the u.s. but i actually realized it's a 12gb tuf amd 6700 oc. so i apologize. you can pay for the shipping and we'll call it even when my new gpu comes in. if there's a p.m. feel free to contact me and we can set it up if you're still interested.

my son uses it mild for gaming when hes here on the weekends. so it's pristine. we had his desktop set up with a ryzen 7.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

This is the best thing I've seen here yet. Love this community!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Yeah sweet thanks. perfect as I need to ugprade my PSU too as I have 21x fans and tons of RGB, new modern GPU would overload this 850.

Can't find the PM option anywhere.

You're probably on discord so hit me up' paradox#9343

Thanks again 🙂

Is it 7600 XT or non-XT? (just looking for waterblocks now)

But thanks again.

@Zer0GriD may just be the hero this community needs but doesn't deserve... 😂

bat.gif

thank you, but it's humilty handed down through having faith to help others enjoy a little more fun in these times.

@Zer0GriD your offer is fantastic.  If he accepts it would definitely make his monitor option much easier.  @zakalwe could step up a notch or two with the money saved.  

You have a kind heart man.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/tuf-gaming/tuf-rx6700xt-o12g-gaming/ this the card exactly? just shopping for waterblocks for them now.

paradox#9343 on discord cause I can't find the PM option here (or maybe I need more posts to be able to I don't know.)

Thanks again,

para

0 Likes

Good Choice.  I have an RX 5700 XT and it ROCKS.

0 Likes

dont jump the gun yet. wait til you get the gpu then decide. im not on discord but you can hit me up with shipping info on zerogrid77@g/m/a/i/l/.c/o/m

- jeremy

0 Likes

oops missed this. 

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

Awesome! @Zer0GriD 

That is an amazing card. Much more powerful than most people think and can run anything. I can attest to that. Just Awesome! @zakalwe is going to be loving it.

Yeah i'm surprised and immensely greatful, never had anything like this happen to me I guess. Need to get a new PSU to cope with the modern GPU and my 21fans + rgb etc, so this helps a lot. should last me a long time with my other new parts.

The other day I also noticed the power connectors on my R9 290X started melting and there's brown residue on the connectors - card kept turning off, cleaned them up but now I  hear coil whine anytime I run a game on it, so it's probably about to die soon too. Lasted me 13 years though!

zakalwe
Adept II

FFK4TBJ

https://streamable.com/ogpx0b 

just thought I'd share this. about to drain the loop and redo it. think my 290x is about to die because i've got random pixels on my desktop flickering around now. good job I have iGPU on the CPU.

thatsa pretty neat setup. i'm not big on rgb so i went dark on my first build.269700540_4615320311855272_4637925439485880566_n.jpg

aliens theme.

I have a pulse rifle:

IMG_20200605_033526.jpg

don't think there;s a PM thing on here. 

my discord; paradox#9343

if it wasn't for evga id let you use it on the nividia card. lol

0 Likes
eebiii
Miniboss

Sounds like maybe a power issue. Don't know what size you have in there right now, but I would say anything 850w and above should take care of it. I haven't experienced too much of an overdraw melting cables, but I am sure there are a few people on here who have. 

Nice clean build! Looks great

0 Likes

I think it needs re-seating the pcie riser cable, it has happened before with the artifacts sporadically moving in the top of the screen area and that fixed it, though I just did it again a few times after cleaning the slots with 99% iso alch. Might also be because the braided cables I bought for a few months ago seem to have melted in it last week:

WloyCL4

8CC1Jxd

Made sure the ones I got were the right gen for my PSU (HX850w) too.

I cleaned up the card connectors and just went back to the corsair cables. Seems fine right now anyway. I still have the fan coolder for this card so would be great if it's just a riser cable problem then I can make a bit back selling the card.

So either the PSU janked or the card did, either way I can send the PSU back cause its within amazons 1 month thing, and get a 1kwatt PSU to go with the 6700XT. 

Wow. Were they the CableMod cables? They have been known for doing this exact thing. 

0 Likes

They were from 'rays cables' on etsy. 

Looks like it just needed re-seating in the riser cable. So looks like it's still working fine, make half the postage from US back for the new card and some to put towards PSU now I guess 🙂

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I also just redid my loop last night.  Still have some additional cable management work to do, but I finally added in a MO-RA3 with pump module and four 200mm fans.  Now the system is completely silent.

eebiii
Miniboss

show some pics @ajlueke 

Sounds like a beast! 4 200mm fans? cool!

0 Likes

Sorry for the picture quality, but it was hard to move things around due to the external pumps.  I had purchased a Silverstone GD09 and was wanting to put my watercooled setup into my entertainment center, matching my receiver.  I had purchased a MO-RA3 from Watercool as an external radiator since the GD09 isn't really built to support rads.  

I had purchased my AM5 motherboard, but was waiting on the X3D processor launch before deciding which CPU to buy.  Since my MO-RA3 and the block for my RTX 4090 had already arrived, I decided to connect them to my AM4 system which was in a Lian Li PC-V3000 case with an EK CE 280, and 420mm radiator.

Lian Li PC-V3000 next to the MO-RA3Lian Li PC-V3000 next to the MO-RA3Rear of the MO-RA3.  A Heatkiller 200 mm reservoir has been attached to 2 EK D5 pumps.  The radiator connects to the PC via the ball valves below.Rear of the MO-RA3. A Heatkiller 200 mm reservoir has been attached to 2 EK D5 pumps. The radiator connects to the PC via the ball valves below.

Cooling on the MO-RA3 is provided by 4 Noctua AF-20 200mm fans.  These are the high static pressure 1200rpm versionCooling on the MO-RA3 is provided by 4 Noctua AF-20 200mm fans. These are the high static pressure 1200rpm version

The Lian Li PC-V3000 still has it's 280mm radiator and 420mm radiator installed with Noctua Chromax fans in Push/pull configuration so the system has 1960mm of radiator surface area.  I did take the internal pump and reservoir out of the Lian Li, for than enough flow from the MO-RA3

I love that radiator.  Looks like it might have come out of a Mack Truck.

AWESOME

That is sweet!! You should make a bracket for it so you can toss it out the window during winter months lol but then again with 4 200mm's you probably don't need too. Awesome!

Sidney21
Journeyman III

6800 XT has high performing Graphics card. It is suitable for gaming. You can definitely buy now

https://acaciawooddb.com/
zakalwe
Adept II

Well.. zero is instead giving me a brand new 6900 XT with an EK waterblock. What a legend.

eebiii
Miniboss

Wow! Just Fantastic! 

@Zer0GriD you are the man!

@zakalwe enjoy the card!

0 Likes
tolcheen
Adept II

I'm not sure ANY video card is a good buy right now. I swapped video BIOSes on an RX 270 2GB and RX280 3GB so it would support no CSM UEFI boot rather than buy a new card right now. I've got a 5700 (non-xt) and another with an RX480 I would love to upgrade, but not at these stupid prices.

0 Likes
Axxemann
Forerunner

**bleep**... where was @Zer0GriD when I was having my RX580 woes? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Personally, I'm debating on whether I should pull the trigger in March on a 6700XT as long as prices stay where they're at (I saw some on Newegg Canada for $550CAD, and AMD has the Reference 6750XT for $20-30 more... Also some 6600XT and 6650XTs in the $400-450CAD range on Amazon) or wait and see if and when we're going to get some lower end RX7000 cards. 

Performance over Pretty.