cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

DKnapp
Journeyman III

Do I need a new card?

Current card is R7 350. Got a new Samsung S27AG50. Monitor. It is a 27 inch, 2560x1440 144hz IPS with a DVI to HDMI converter. I can't get Windows 10 to use any resolution higher than 1920x1080. The current AMD software doesn't seem to have a setting that will allow Windows to recognize the screen can do better.

Do I need a new card? If so, what is an affordable choice? I don't game, I do some MS Office stuff, Photoshop and light video editing.

CPU is Intel i7 860, 12 GB ram. Seems good enough for my usage. PC is homebuilt.
Thanks for any advice

1 Solution

I couldn't easily find an active DVI-HDMI adapter so switched to a Display Port cable. Problem solved. My rig actually has a KVM switch in the middle so I can connect an older Mac laptop and older PCs via the DVI port. The KVM has a top limit of 1920 and I didn't want to replace that as well. I just kept the KVM on the DVI input to the monitor and put my main PC on the Display Port, using the KVM for the mice and keyboards. When I switch the KVM I have to switch the monitor input as well. It's within my Rube Goldberg tolerances so OK. The new cable was about $10, so fit my budget as well. Thanks for the nfo, it put me on the track. I didn't know the frequency stuff was so important.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Most if not all DVI-HDMI Adapters only supports 1920x1080 resolution. Need to find an Active DVI-D/HDMI adapter that states that it outputs higher resolutions then 1920x1080.

I couldn't easily find an active DVI-HDMI adapter so switched to a Display Port cable. Problem solved. My rig actually has a KVM switch in the middle so I can connect an older Mac laptop and older PCs via the DVI port. The KVM has a top limit of 1920 and I didn't want to replace that as well. I just kept the KVM on the DVI input to the monitor and put my main PC on the Display Port, using the KVM for the mice and keyboards. When I switch the KVM I have to switch the monitor input as well. It's within my Rube Goldberg tolerances so OK. The new cable was about $10, so fit my budget as well. Thanks for the nfo, it put me on the track. I didn't know the frequency stuff was so important.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

You said video editing, so my post will be focused on this alone.

Depending on what you edit and what application you are using. I would say you are bottlenecking the monitor with that card if you up the resolution to 2560x1440.

But that is my general take on video editing.

If you don't game but want a mild editing experience this card can be a great deal, and with 8Gb of VRAM that is a plus.

Sub 300 and if you don't mind used/refurbished/damaged box articles with warranty (just like a new article)
They go for sub 200

johnnyenglish_0-1669160732693.png

The Englishman