cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Dramatik
Adept I

Building or upgrading

I currently have a r5 5700x, rx6950xt on an msi Ace mobo running 3600mhz ram. I run my system on native on the best quality/performance settings. I'm wanting to either upgrade to the r7 x3d chip, this would be the easiest thing to do as I love team Red, I simply love the alt r hockey, and having the ability to set my own preferred settings whether it be by OC'ing or restricting gpu etc. Now I cam either upgrade or build a 13th gen intel system. I would like y'alls opinion and feedback. 

I'm wanting to be able to game and record while recording, plus I like to listen to music while gaming. Any amd all feedback would be appreciated. If I do go the Intel way, I'd do the whole system in Intel, cpu/gpu and I was thinkin of the 6ghz i9 13900 chip, or the ryzen 7 x3d chip. I am wondering, I guess which system would do everything I'm wanting. 

Also if I was to upgrade my gpu which is an rx 6950xt 3 fan unit. Should I stay team red or what?

Maka Nunpa Mani
7 Replies
lowteck
Miniboss

What's your motherboard chipset?  IMHO it will massively influence your decision)

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I would go with an AMD 5800X3D for now since the prices are good, and then early next year consider the AM5 platform for a totally new system.  Keep this gaming machine intact or sell it off once the new system is up.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Depending on your budget, I suggest one of the following setups:

1 - AM4 Platform: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D paired with an AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (budget permitting, consider the AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT)

2 - AM5 Platform: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D paired with an AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT (budget permitting, consider the AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX - you'll be future-proofing with these).

Both options will support the type of computing you've mentioned (gaming, streaming, listening to music, etc. simultaneously). 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
G1
Adept I

I would buy new!

otacon
Adept III

Are you having performance problems at all? You've got a very fast setup already. If you want to run more software a R7 X3D is probably a good call. You'll get the extra cores and better gaming performance. When recording your screen try using the GPU accelerated encoders for H264, you'll take a lot of strain off the CPU.

You could try a RAM overclock if you are comfortable. I have my memory running at 3800MHz CL 16 and saw about a 10% increase in game performance.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

@otacon - Have you had any crashes when running the memory at 3800 MHz?  Did you increase the memory voltage at all?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

No crashes, voltage is 1.35V.
I do have Samsung chips, which people commonly say can run at higher clocks with normal voltage. If you are overclocking you need to make sure that the different memory clocks are in sync or else you can get a latency penalty, usually these are called fclock, uclock, mclock in the UEFI. To dial in 3800MHz you need to set them all to 1900MHz. I believe on Zen 3 and newer you can run the controllers at different speeds, but I am on Zen 2 still.