cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part Recommendations

Truehitman6
Journeyman III

Best ram speed for Ryzen 7 5700x

I upgraded my r5 5600x to the r7 5700x so that I could give my 5600x to my son to upgrade his since I got the 5700x for barely more than a new 5600x and I was looking at what else I could upgrade. I am running 4x8 3600 cl18 ram in my pc and it runs fine at 3600 and I have my infinity clock speeds setup in a 1:1:1 ratio but I read that 4000 speed for ryzen vermeer is the best speeds. Can anyone tell me what the actual best ram setup would be for this CPU? I am running the msi b550 gaming plus motherboard. I was looking at 2x16 sticks of 4000 cl18 and set my infitity fabric clocks to 2000 instead of 1800 to maintain the 1:1:1 ratio. 

16 Replies

The Ryzen 3000 & 5000 series "Sweet Spot" for RAM Speed is 3600Mhz. Anything higher will have negligible higher efficiency results.

The "Sweet Spot" is where Ryzen performance will be at its optimum by RAM Speed.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have a link to that info I could get so I can do some more research? I heard it used to be 3600 but now its 4000 and you'll still be at 1:1:1 because they raised the fclock from 1800 to 2000. I could be wrong but just want to be sure before I drop money on ram.

Maybe for the newest 7000 Series CPUs that might be true since they use DDR5 RAM instead of DDR4 RAM.

From Tom's Hardware about the 7000 Series Sweet Spot: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-confirms-ddr5-6000-ram-is-the-sweet-spot-for-ryzen-7000-cpus

From the linked article above. You seemed to be correct about 4000Mhz:

The Zen 4 parts have a default FCLK of 1,733 MHz, supporting DDR5-5200 memory by default. Hallock believes that DDR5-6000 will be the sweet spot for Zen 4 based on cost, stability, performance, availability, and ease. In contrast, Zen 3's sweet spot was at DDR4-3600 (1,800 MHz FCLK), with DDR4-4000 (2,000 MHz FCLK) being the golden standard. Nonetheless, Hallock said that in some scenarios, when surpassing a 2,000 MHz FCLK could yield better performance

Yes I found this Tom's Hardware that mentions that the 5000 Series CPU is 3600Mhz the same as the 3000 Series CPUs: https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

NOTE: I posted this same link to another User with a similar question abut RAM Speed for the 5000 series CPUs.

Tom's Hardware gives a good explanation of what you are seeking. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/features/ryzen-5000-ram-guide

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"

go for ddr4 4000 cl 17, and use 2 sticks not 4.

0 Likes
MADZyren
Paragon

My answer is: Unless overclocking memory is something you do for fun and you just want decent performance: You'll need four single channel sticks with 32 Gb of memory for gaming, maybe more if you do something which requires lots of RAM. Get something that is Ryzen optimized out of the box. Clock speed from 3200-3600 (you can probably oc 3200 to 3600 anyway). That is it. My favorite brand is G.Skill as it is like the Seasonic of memory-sticks.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

What do you mean by 'four single-channel sticks' of memory?  The DDR4 motherboards are configured for running dual-channel memory controllers.  If you have two sticks of RAM, then you want one stick for each controller, not both running off the same controller.  Am I missing something here?  

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

No you are not.  The only time it will benefit is if the board can use quad channel.  I have already worn that topic out in research.  With AM4 boards 2 - 16GB sticks will perform equally to 4 - 8GB sticks, both configurations are running "dual core".

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Dual channel my friend.  I've never heard of 'dual core' with regard to memory sticks.  I don't believe motherboards can support quad channel.  With four slots, they are pairs that run dual channel because there are two memory controllers.  That's what I understand.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

At least one type of Consumer Motherboards supports Quad Channel RAM are the ThreadRipper Motherboards from AMD SUPPORT: https://www.amd.com/en/chipsets/str40

Screenshot 2023-03-11 140519.png

I happened to remember while looking at ThreadRipper Motherboards for other Users that it mentioned Quad Channel supported.

As an example only:

Here is a Asus Threadripper Motherboard: https://rog.asus.com/uk/motherboards/rog-zenith/rog-zenith-ii-extreme-model/spec/

Screenshot 2023-03-11 142903.png

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Ok, if you are talking the ThreadRipper series, that's true.  Now you are getting into high-end workstations and server systems.  Those motherboards are very expensive, but I do believe they can run DDR4 memory sticks in quad channel.  For most of us using the Ryzen series of CPUs, we are limited to dual channel memory controllers with our motherboards.

Threadripper can be considered to be a workstation motherboard but not a Server motherboard.

Threadripper motherboards are the consumer version of a Server Motherboard but are not Server Motherboards.

But when you said that the majority of Consumer Motherboards supports only Dual Channel is true. Mainly because Quad Channel is supported on Motherboards with 8 Dimm slots instead of 4 Dimm slots.

Found out the Intel's X Series processor are similar to the ThreadRipper in the respect that it also support Quad Channel RAM and uses motherboards with 8 Dimm Slots.

I was hoping that quad channel memory support would come with ddr5 rams, but it has been twenty years and quad channel memory support has not come to consumer products. I am currently using a 5700x. If it had come with quad channel ram support ddr5, I would have switched to the ryzen 7000 series without thinking, but it is no different from ddr4 and there is no need.

Thanks for the correction.

ddr4 4000 cas 18

DDR4 4000 CL 17, OR DDR4 3600 CL 16