Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL & Vulkan

leblaque
Adept II

Combat Mission Series games 23.4.2 Driver fixes "white flash" but Breaks Memory

On 4/22/2023 at 9:43 AM, Myles Keogh (Quote from Battlefront Message Boards):

Unfortunately, the out-of-memory issue has been an existing conflict between some AMD drivers and CMx2 for several years now.   (In fact, it was the first problem I ever had with them.)  What makes it frustrating is that some driver updates have caused the issue and other have not.  It seems utterly random.

Trying to avoid it, I haven't updated my AMD drivers in almost a year.    The 22.5.1 work fine with CMx2 and, fortunately, I don't play games that require recent drivers.  So, it's not that that big of an inconvenience for me, but I know it may be frustrating for other gamers.

@Myles Keogh@amd  @Battlefront.com Unlike Myles, I do need updated drivers (ideally) for other games.  23.4.2 is still bugged, and apparently, this is a long-standing issue per above post.  This is infuriating in a way, as I am playing an email game in CMRT flawlessly (no flashbang, etc.-- but see explanation below) but a game in CMBS got the following error, then afterwards crashes to desktop when I rotate the view (my card is an RX 6600XT w. 8GB).  I have attached relevant pics/dropbox links for BF (and others) to check on their AMD systems. 

Most often I receive the Windows "Out of Memory" error.  Periodically I will receive Fatal Application Exit - Your graphics hardware is out of memory (unable to post pics herein for some reason).

Troubleshooting with Battlefront, it is irresolvable on their end as they believe it is an AMD driver issue.  It only occurs on the largest battle maps (not the smallest) and was duplicated by other players including their internal beta tester with 12 GB VRAM.  They apparently have also contacted AMD RE: this issue. It does NOT occur on Nvidia cards.   See dropbox game files for TWO games one working and the CMBS failure....  Best way to duplicate is go to ground level and WASD around the battlefield....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l25g01e0okcrrb5/Rollin' On The River 105.ema?dl=0        (CMBS PW: od)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0t049ub1b2xbdur/Retaking of Koshtovnist 153.ema?dl=0  (CMRT PW: od)

1 Solution
leblaque
Adept II

I can confirm that the CTD and white flash is gone on smaller battles for 3 of the CM products. Having said this, I understand from a BF thread that other posters on the AMD site are still indicating this is NOT resolved on larger battles? 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-issues-with-opengl-in-combat-mission-games/...

At least we have PROGRESS.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
dipak
Big Boss

Hi @leblaque ,

Thanks for reporting it. We have filed an internal bug ticket to track this issue. 

Thanks.

leblaque
Adept II

We are many months and several driver installations from this reported problem, including white flashes etc beyond the CTD as reported in another thread.  Is this EVER going to get resolved?

Hi @leblaque ,

As mentioned in this post, the "flashing white screen" issue was fixed in Adrenalin 23.4.2. Recently, some users have posted that they are observing the issue again. I have reported it to OpenGL team. They are looking into this whether it's a regression or not. Once I get any update from them, I will share it on the related thread.

Thanks.

dipak, while addressing the re-emergence of the "white flash" is fine, how about addressing the CTD as reported herein MANY months ago?  Frankly, whose responsibility is it to fix this crash with Combat Mission games?  The developer (and their fanboys) claim it is AMD.  I don't think a product should be sold at full price to users if it consistently fails to operate with AMD updated drivers.  Point being, I think this is a collective issue that should be resolved by Battlefront and AMD working together (it is a smaller company, thus I understand your teams' lack of interest as it is not profitable to make this issue a priority).

Hi @leblaque ,

As I can see from the related ticket for the "Out of Memory" issue, the OpenGL dev team investigated this issue and identified the root-cause of it. They have implemented a fix for it. 

Thanks.

Is this for a recent driver iteration (version #?) or an upcoming revision?  Thanks.

The fix is currently available in the latest internal builds only. 

Thanks.

leblaque
Adept II

@dipak may (we) impose that you notify us when the driver version (#) that fixes both the "white flash" re-reported and the aforementioned CTD becomes readily available?  In this way we don't have to constantly roll-back to legacy drivers, and more importantly the BF community can test the driver version to see if these two issues are repaired (or remain). Thx.

If I get any release information about those fixes, I will surely post a notification on the related threads. 

Thanks.

As I have come to know, the fix for the "Out of Memory" issue is expected to be released in December or January.

[Note, this is just a tentative timeline and may change as decided by the release team]

Thanks.

Hi @leblaque ,

It seems the fix is already included in the latest Adrenalin 23.12.1. Could you please try this driver to see if the "Out of Memory" issue has been resolved?

Thanks.

leblaque
Adept II

I can confirm that the CTD and white flash is gone on smaller battles for 3 of the CM products. Having said this, I understand from a BF thread that other posters on the AMD site are still indicating this is NOT resolved on larger battles? 

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/amd-driver-issues-with-opengl-in-combat-mission-games/...

At least we have PROGRESS.

Thanks for your confirmation, @leblaque .

Confirmation it works on SMALLER battles...NOT larger:

Reconfirmed-- AMD most recent drivers BUSTED on larger engagements (CMRT cat and mouse scenario).  Works on smaller.... got the CM executable out of memory error at about 49% progress bar then CTD.

UN-F-BELIEVABLE.

Hi @leblaque ,

Thanks for sharing your observation. I have informed the OpenGL team about this observation.

Thanks.

Hi @leblaque ,

As I have been informed, the OpenGL QA team already filed a ticket for the "out-of-memory" issue with larger maps. The dev team is looking into it.

Thanks.

leblaque
Adept II

Thank you for keeping us informed.   A question (really 2).  As I am as assertive with Battlefront as to this continuing issue, are you in direct communication with them to get this solved as they may also be a contributing problem and similarly, have they directly reached out to you to report upon these ongoing problems or are they exclusively relying on their aggravated purchasers of their products?

As per my communication with the dev team, they have not contacted the game developers for this issue. I think mostly these reports come from the end-users, not from Battlefront

Thanks.

0 Likes
DaytraderFX
Adept I

Hi all - i have on big maps in all combat mission games the problem, that on larger maps it is brutally laggy and sometimes nothing happen anymore - this is only an issue by amd - my friend has an older nvidia grafic card and he doenst has this problem.

My question is, that have this problem with larger maps every user with every grafic card from amd or there are some grafic cards they dont have this issue?

thanks all

I get the memory error with my 5600xt and another user with a 7800xt reported the same issue.  It seems the newer AMD cards aren't immune to this problem.