cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Who watches old movies?

In my Wine Lovers Forum, sometimes we have a movie night event.  We have one friend (Lynn) that comes to our house every Tuesday for the regular wine nights, but this is typically a Friday evening thing.  There is wine involved of course, but it's more about watching a good movie, like one of the Alfred Hitchcock mysteries.  One I hope to watch soon is the 1948 war film 'Command Decision' with Clark GableVan JohnsonWalter PidgeonBrian DonlevyJohn HodiakRichard Quine and Edward Arnold.

Do you have a favorite old movie or one that you've been meaning to watch?  There are so many of them out there!

Clark looks good in uniform as a USAF Colonel (I think). Walter Pigeon is a Major General.  He is holding a model of the German ME 262 jet fighter.Clark looks good in uniform as a USAF Colonel (I think). Walter Pigeon is a Major General. He is holding a model of the German ME 262 jet fighter.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
34 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Rear Window is a great movie, and I highly recommend it.  Very suspenseful and it gives you a different view on things after you watch it.  

What's going on across the courtyard?  Watch and see...What's going on across the courtyard? Watch and see...

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

One of my FAVORITES!

If you haven't seen Orson Wells; Citizen Kane.  I would highly recommend it.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly if you like westerns.

I guess you might even consider Star Wars an old movie by now.

2001 A Space Odyssey. You gotta love HAL.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I did see Citizen Kane, but I have no memory of it.  I should watch it again.

I have seen just about all Clint Eastwood films.  The early 'spaghetti westerns' were my favorites, but 'Unforgiven' was the best.

And, I might add, that I watched '2001 - A Space Odyssey' on the plane flight to Dubai in early January 2024.  I've only seen it about 6-7 times.

Always intrigued me that every year for a long time Citizen Kane was always at the top, beating out Star Wars, Casablanca, Rear Window, etc,, etc.  So my youngest son and I decided it was time to see what it was about.

I have all of the so called spaghetti westerns by Eastwood and most of the newer ones like Outlaw Josie Wales, Unforgiven, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, and more. 

2001 Space Odysey I saw when on Vietnam tour, 1969-70.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Thank you for your service.  The war was over when I graduated high school in 1977.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We watched 'The Caine Mutiny' last night with our friend Lynn.  I've seen it once before by my wife Sandra and Lynn had not.  Very interesting movie.  We all enjoyed it with pizza and wine.

Humphrey Bogart did an excellent performance.Humphrey Bogart did an excellent performance.

I mean Rear Window was one of my favorites.  Jimmy Stewart was unbelievable.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Why are you copying me?

So the term "old movies" could be suggestive, as old to me is different than old to my granddaughter LOL. I do like watching something from the 40's and 50 every now and then but it is hard to go back to the picture shows as it is just too much for my ADD brain to follow along with.

I like a movie with suspense.  A complicated plot that you couldn't figure out ahead of time keeps me engaged.

Based on this reply, you will love Citizen Kane.  

Just don't go on the internet and read the plot first, that would ruin it.

You nailed it. 

When you have kids saying 2000 songs are nostalgia, what can we say about the 60's and 70's, oh man. That was some sweet music, the Stones and all that.

As for movies, the year is not a factor to me but the Star Wars was great back then.

The Englishman
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

For me movies from the 80s are classics! Tons of those to choose from. The list is endless I think

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

Every time I see "Big Trouble in Little China" I think, "They didn't make movies like this any time outside the 80s"

burstfadehc
Adept I

Many people enjoy watching old movies. The appreciation for classic films spans across generations, and individuals with diverse tastes often find value in exploring movies from different eras. Old movies can offer unique storytelling, historical insights, and a glimpse into the filmmaking techniques of their time. Whether for nostalgia, cultural exploration, or cinematic appreciation, there's a broad audience for classic and old films.

Eudicots
Adept III

My favorite film of all time is from 1964. Les Parapluies de Cherbourg is without a doubt my favorite film. I love how realistic the love story is and how the color theory perfectly describes the development of this love. 

Vynski
Exemplar

How about Monty Python's "Search For The Holy Grail".  My youngest boy and his two best friends, I think they knew every line of that movie.  All I can say is "Run Away"!

The only thing that comes to mind

johnnyenglish_0-1705519585652.png

The Englishman

I always laugh, when after gathering up all the knights to go to Camelot, they just don't go there.  

ajlueke
Grandmaster

I do occasionally watch a few older films.  Lately I watched a couple of Humphrey Bogart films in the "Maltese Falcon" and "Casablanca"  

Both excellent movies. Play it again Sam!

It is crazy how much noir stuff we still see today like Spider-Man noir.  And Maltese Falcon was a huge part of make those crime stories from the Black Mask magazine mainstream.

b_town
Adept I

I myself am not that much of a movie person, but my sister and a couple of my friends really like movies. A little while ago my friend streamed La Strada (1954) by Federico Fellini, and I really enjoyed that.

Vynski
Exemplar

I would like to suggest one for all.

"Final Countdown" a 1970's movie with Kirk Douglas 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I saw that one a long time ago.  I should watch it again though.

On our flight back home from Dubai (UAE), I watched Alfred Hitchcock's 'The Birds', another one I had seen a long time ago.  It was rather scary too.  That's an excellent film.

That's a falcon on my head.  We rode in Toyota Land Cruisers in the dunes of Abu Dhabi.That's a falcon on my head. We rode in Toyota Land Cruisers in the dunes of Abu Dhabi.

You look like your having way too much fun.  Thanks for the photo..  Hope the camel didn't spit on you. LOL 😂

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

No camel would dare spit on BigAl, the kitty's pal.

They pyramids of Giza.  They aren't too heavy.They pyramids of Giza. They aren't too heavy.

I've seen "The Birds" 3 or 4 times.  Just as creepy each time.  Every time I see a flock of starlings fly up from the field, I think "is this the start". LOL

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

It's not a movie exactly, but The Andy Griffith show has a special place in my heart. That and the old show MASH. 

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

The very best episode to my wife and I is the one where Andy explain Romeo and Juliet to Opie.  Every English teacher needs that in there curriculum. Both my wife and I were dying laughing.

Our local air antenna station broadcast the Memorable Entertainment (METV) https://metv.com/.  We can watch Mash, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc. every day.  Most recently even The Lone Ranger on weekends.  Another network is called H & I (Hero's and Icons), here we get programs like Wild Wild West, Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have Gun Will Travel, and Rawhide. https://www.handitv.com/. Another is GRIT: https://www.grittv.com/tv-schedule/ mostly westerns.

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Well Al, next time you are out this way, should come visit me in Philippines! The pictures you posted are great

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

How do you like the Philippines?  In the NAVY, Subic Bay is where we ported after coming off the line.  I didn't really venture out much, usually too busy.

feliciahane
Journeyman III

It's always fascinated me how Citizen Kane consistently held the top spot for so many years, surpassing iconic films like Star Wars, Casablanca, and Rear Window. So, my youngest son and I thought it was finally time to find out what all the fuss was about.

I've collected all the so-called spaghetti westerns starring Eastwood, along with many newer ones like Outlaw Josie Wales, Unforgiven, Two Mules for Sister Sarah, and others.