Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

SubtleIQ
Adept III

Just an FYI... EVGA is doing a Back to School Sale

Hello All,

Just wanted to give you guys an heads up...EVGA is doing a Back to School Sale.

Many of their products have crazy awesome prices at the moment.  Including the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6, 80 Plus Platinum 1000W power supply that I bought recently for my PC Upgrade.  It is surprisingly tiny, very sharp looking and completely modular.  If you plan on upgrading your GPU and need a better power supply, I highly recommend the EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P6 even though I only had it for a few days.  It has a 10yr warranty and the price is amazing.  They even included a GPU attachment 600-PL-2816-B9 for free:

600-PL-2816-B9_XL_8.png

It's easy to install, and works great if you have extra clearance in your case since it adds about 2 inches to the end of your card after plugging in the 8 pin connectors.  I am guessing they included it since they knew I had a qualifying GPU.  Not sure they are going to give one away with each power supply... who knows.

Anyhow Happy Gaming all,

Michael Alan Horton
10 Replies
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you @SubtleIQ ! Sporting 1000W is definitely a good thing! The PSU will probably last you for 5 years if not more. I like the Power Link (adapter?) they're featuring with the unit, great touch! These innovations are always welcomed in my book as they make upgrading more and more creative yet efficient! 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

While agree that that's a nice PSU, and likely works for most if not all current gen systems, for anyone who is thinking about buying it for next gen GPUs/CPUs you 100% want to go higher than that. I wouldn't consider anything less than 1500w this gen PSUs for next gen stuff, purely because of the "microspikes" that is purported to be prevalent in next gen hardware.

If the rumors around them are true, and they appear to be so as PSU manufacturers are evidently not happy with Nvidia pointing fingers saying the issue is something the PSU manufacturer just have to deal with, in regard to current gen PSUs anything that the next gen stuff is rated for, multiply it by 3x. So if you're considering a next gen GPU rated at 300w (high end skews for next gen GPUs are rumoring to be +400w), for the GPU alone you would need a 900w this gen PSU. That's not including the rest of the system. If you include a current gen CPU (say a 5900x/5800x3D) you'd need at least a 1200w PSU to power the system with 100w overhead.

And that's sticking to AMD, looking at Intel's their top end can boost up to ~245w

So again, just to be safe, if you're in the market for a PSU rn and tend to focus on products at the mid to high end, I wouldn't even consider anything less than 1500w as far as current gen PSUs go

For the low/mid tier product budget, I wouldn't go less than 1200w

Let's just say that there's likely a very good reason why even a 1600w EVGA PSU from this gen, which normally runs at +500 USD is selling for 50% off.

When the next gen GPU power draw requirements become widely known, no one who purchases products in that bracket is likely to even consider last gen PSUs. If they don't sell them now, they're going to get stuck holding the bag on literal E-waste -- High end products that are worse, significantly worse, than next generation mid-tier products while still costing more, with a customer base who will no longer even consider purchasing them because they're not the latest and greatest.

Also, just to be clear, if the rumors around top end next gen hardware is true, it's getting near the point that you will literally have to rewire your house just to be able to power a machine that has them in it if you live in North America. Not exaggerating that at all. You'll have to have the same breaker setup and wiring setup for just your PC that is used to power a dryer/stovetop -- a minimum of a 40 amp power feed with a 50 amp receptacle 120/240 volts. The breaker size must be 40 amp and the wire size should be # 8 awg copper or # 6 awg aluminum

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes

Okay, good point @Justifier! Let's see what the market brings late this year and beyond...

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Well again, for anyone looking to go with a build with this, for this gen hardware, these deals are amazing.

Just be buying with the mindset that it's 90% unlikely going to be forward compatible with any products that aren't already on the market in the same budget bracket that you're likely to be buying in for this generation's

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
0 Likes
Justifier
Challenger

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/msi-first-atx-3-compliant-psu

Seeing this, I've changed my mind. I'd highly recommend anyone who might consider the deals above completely disregard them. There's a good chance that this has the chance current gen hardware (PSUs) will be completely uncapable of running next gen cards, so if you have ANY intention of upgrading past this gen hardware in that build, don't even consider this gen PSUs until more info is released

0 Likes

Boy,

I tell you your last post was frustrating.  But I have researched said SPIKING issue enough to say you should have included the other link that is in your link

Gamer Nexus Problem with GPU Power Design | Transients .

Watch this video.

The EVGA GA line might have trouble with these transients.

If you are simply going to upgrade your GPU in your current system, and it is only going to be a 30 series. 

Then a 1000watt power supply more than compensates for said SPIKING issue even the GA line.  Specially since the highest spike was only 1 kilowatt... that is within in the 1000watt rating of the power supply.

Even a small form factor 1000 watt should even be able to reliably run any 30 series.  That being said though I recommend no less than Platinum and non small factor just to cover all your bases.

In your defense you are right...  if you plan on upgrading to any next gen GPU/CPU/MB (then unless they are selling a non small factor 2000watt Platinum rated power supply, this sale is not for you...

Michael Alan Horton

Well, TBF I didn't elaborate much on my rational as to why I didn't recommend, just said I wouldn't recommend that kind of a deal for next gen products. An error on my behalf perhaps. Apoligies.

I did say earlier that for this generation something that high spec'd is obviously fine -- multiple times-- , so I figured that'd be taken into context.

So, my rational:

There's a lot of rumors and unknowns revolving around next gen "3.0" PSUs. Will "2.0" PSUs still power the GPU or a CPU or both if it's high enough spec'd from this gen? who knows. What's the cut off? Don't know.

Rumors/logic lean toward no, but logic also says that you shouldn't be using cheap household "extension cords" to power things long term... or at all really. People still do and get away with it just fine.

They (YouTubers/PSU companies/GPU AIBs/etc) also recommend people use 1000w+ for builds like mine, when I run an 850w PSU with it perfectly fine with zero issues at all and have for ~a year now. I can track my power usage in real time with my UPS, which has so far never topped 660w -- my peripherals are also plugged into the UPS, as well as my modem and router, so it's actually lower than that

Will this be the same situation where it's being mostly overblown for the average user, or are we going to be seeing tons of GPUs or other components being bricked because people try to use their old PSUs in ignorance? Don't know. Could be a well-made 1200w-1500w this gen PSU will handle it just fine. Especially on the mid/low tier builds which most people are going to be going for

But those unknowns and the complicated nature of this will cause unease for casual buyers who tend to gravitate towards newer tech as the default, and companies will respond and try to clear their shelves for the most part, though I'm sure on-site stores will try to keep some of last gen products on shelf for more informed or more tightly budgeted buyers

I think that when that happens the sales at that point to clear 2.0 PSUs from the warehouses will likely make this one look pretty laughable, as this appears to be just a halo product being brought down to realistic high-end component prices than an actual sale.

0 Likes

Thanks Justiifier,

No apologies needed,  your clarification is more than enough.  I just wanted people to not be confused.  You know how people do not read all the fine print, and tend to only retain the last bit they read.

I just wanted to assure them if they are just sticking with 30 series and need a new power supply to run it, then 1000watt is a good place to start.

I noticed you are using an UPS as well.  I was finally able to get one thanks to AMD Santa helping me with this build.  I have always wanted one, since I learned about them.  Sadly tho our UPS's have to compensate for crazy spikes as well, really hoping that the video card manufacturers will actually find a really good solution for the problem.  And that power supply maker's will follow MSI's step forward to help with the problem.  In the end, omg it is alot of added expense not to mention potentially having to rewire your house just to power your gaming system. Do me a favor please, can you pm with any and all advice on properly setting up and using my UPS.  Since the documentation on my CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD - PFC Sinewave is severely lacking, and you seem to be a good source of good information and advice.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance,

Michael Alan Horton

Software | CyberPower Systems

The software you can use with it can be found above; you'll want to download this to get a dashboard to pair it with your computer, choose the version that corresponds with the OS you're using.

Justifier_0-1660606058955.png

The unit should have shipped with a USB A to B cord, which plugs in near the top back of the unit. Plug the B port into the UPS, the A port into your PC. After you install CyberPower's software you should be able to pair it with your computer for advanced monitoring and system controls, as well as firmware updates.

Should you want your UPS to be able to power off your computer when it swaps to battery power to preserve data and battery life for other systems, then turn back on when it regains power, you'll have to configure that in your Bios on your computer and in the dashboard.

You want the option to be labeled under something along the lines of "LAST STATE: When power is cycled on, the computer will either come on or stay off depending on whether it was On or Off when the power was lost." or some such.

Normally it'll be "ALWAYS OFF: When power is cycled on, the computer will stay off until the user manually hits the On/Off soft switch."

Other than that, it's pretty much cut and dry. Plug it into the wall near your computer, plug anything you want protected by surges in the surge protector non-battery line and anything you want on battery power into the battery line. If you physically cannot plug things into the ports due to the size of the plug (many modems/routers/monitors have silly oblong plugs with their AC DC converters built into the very end of the plug for whatever reason) you can plug a powerstrip into one of the battery ports and just plug them into that instead.

Just make sure any high-power draw units (like the PC) are plugged directly into the unit, and that you aren't drawing more power than is rated by the UPS.

0 Likes
red5
Miniboss

Newegg is having their 'Shuffle' again, and today's options are : Sapphire 6500XT for $139.99 and MSI 6700XT Mech for $399.99

You can go to their website and sign up to receive the notification emails for the Shuffle.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN