cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I’ve seen the Summit, and AMD rocks,

A few days ago, my wife Sandra and I were able to visit the AMD facility in Austin, Texas.  We are on a road trip to see the solar eclipse in Kerrville, Texas and that event occurred on 08 April; now we are working our way back to Virginia.  Sam and Wally welcomed us into their offices and Sam gave us a wonderful tour of the public relations areas and several labs where they have Systems Under Test (SUT).  I was permitted to take some pictures in the public relations area, as shown below.  We are grateful to the whole Red Team for this opportunity to see some very cool stuff,

The entrance sign.The entrance sign.The building where Sam and Wally work.The building where Sam and Wally work.Some devices with AMD components in them.Some devices with AMD components in them.A very nice presentation room.A very nice presentation room.A gaming area where employees can reduce stress.A gaming area where employees can reduce stress.Myself and my wife Sandra with Sam.  He is holding that guitar with a computer built inside it.Myself and my wife Sandra with Sam. He is holding that guitar with a computer built inside it.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
16 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Awesome! Just awesome. 😊

The Englishman

nice

Ryzen 3 3250U supremacy
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Looks like you had a blast, friend. The floating table looks awesome. Did you get to see the eclipse?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Yes, we saw the eclipse from start to just a few minutes prior to totality, then the clouds obscured the remainder.  We got the darkness of totality.

Waiting for the start.Waiting for the start.The moon moved from right to left.The moon moved from right to left.Just prior to totality.Just prior to totality.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Those are beautiful images. I was not in a totallity zone so it wasn't all that dark. I was going to ty to get images but I don't have a great quality camera.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The above images were from iPhones.  Others with our group got better pictures but the clouds ruined half of the experience.

Dragokar
Miniboss

Amazing and I am glad they made it able to visit them.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Hey, I have the same shirt.  Looks like a fun visit.

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Only saw the shirt now, looks like you dressed all up for the event 😆

Again, I'm super jealous of the visit. Hope you had a blast there.

The Englishman
eebiii
Forerunner

Awesome!! I know @BigAl01 and your wife had a great time. But it would have been cool if @Sam_AMD walked in and you were sitting at his desk with your feet propped up playing on his PC. LMAO

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

It was great to have @BigAl01 and Sandra with us for a day! I enjoyed our conversations while giving them the tour!

The floor where Wally and I sit is called WWM (World Wide Marketing Organization) which consists of Social, PR, Channel, and Product Marketing. 

The "Presentation Room" is referred to as our "Media Room" (a.k.a. Theater) where major, company-wide presentations take place. 

The "Gaming Area" is our retro-arcade. It also includes a shuffle-board, ping pong, foosball, and last but not least a Nintendo-64 station! 

Friends! If any of you happen to be in Austin, shoot me a PM, I'll be more than happy to give you the Tour! 

@BigAl01 I hope you got home safe! (I believe you avoided the storm, right?)

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We are in Kentucky now, and we did a bourbon tasting at Lux Row Distillery.  We have driven through several storms, the worst being the drive from Tulsa OK to St. Louis, MO yesterday.

One of the stills.One of the stills.

Grab one of those stills and throw it in the back of the car. I have an idea! 😀

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

This is Awesome!

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We returned safely late this afternoon (15 April 2024); we picked up our two cats that were boarded at the vets and we petted our two outdoor cats that were fed by a service while we were away.  Happily we avoided any serious weather (I fear hailstones in particular) and overall a great trip.  

Our outdoor cat Tiger really missed me.  As usual, he meowed quite a bit upon my return.  He did this when we returned from a trip to Egypt earlier this year in January.Our outdoor cat Tiger really missed me. As usual, he meowed quite a bit upon my return. He did this when we returned from a trip to Egypt earlier this year in January.

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I'm glad you made it home, my friend. You always take the best trips.