cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I hugged a Dolphin, in Jamaica!

We went to Jamaica a couple of weeks ago for a family vacation. It was our first time. I’ll tell you; it was good and, sadly, bad…

The good:

• We always manage to have a good time. My wife and kiddo are a great company. We joked, laughed, ran, played (a lot), snorkeled, and swam with dolphins (on my son’s birthday).
  • The hotel room was spacious, and clean, with an ocean view.
  • “Gigio” (my boy’s nickname) played in the water park every day; he managed to make a new friend each time we went there, and spent hours playing in the pool.
  • The dolphin experience was awesome – I know it was a great birthday present for Gigio. When I lived in California I had seen a few surfing the waves but never seen one closely or even touch one. They are kind, curious, and friendly…and big!
  • I met a few folks, mainly parents of the kiddos Gigio played with, who were either from Canada or the US, very few Europeans.
  • Driving around Montego Bay was an eye-opener. It is beautiful, tropical, and wild (lots of animals run around freely). But at the same time, it is a growing city, with lots of development happening everywhere. Numerous roads were either under construction or just inaccessible. That said, you can sense the “chill” vibe everywhere.

Jam_Grand_Palladium.jpg

Jam_Grand_Palladium_2.jpg

Jam_Grand_Palladium_3.jpg

Jam_Grand_Palladium_4.jpg

Jam_Grand_Palladium_5.jpg

Montego_Bay_2.jpg
Jam_Montego_Bay.jpg

Dancing with Coco.jpg

We were happy...until we got our food!We were happy...until we got our food!

The bad:

• The Grand Palladium Montego Bay. Friends, avoid this all-inclusive wanna-be-4-star resort at all costs!
  • Concierge: Bad, no greeting. No smiles. Slow, careless, untrained, and forgetful.
  • Customer Service: I gave it one star. No one smiled. You’ll think the management would know/understand about its clientele’s needs, wants, and expectations, especially for a 4-star resort. Not!
  • Boarding: The first room they put us in was next to another room where major construction was taking place. From sledgehammers to construction workers yelling at each other, the noise level was unacceptable, I could not believe it.
  • Food: I’m not a picky eater, as long as it’s tasty and prepared well, I’m in. But man; the food was bad. Not seasoned, overcooked or undercooked, served cold or too hot. The waiters were so slow, it took about 30 minutes on average to get served breakfast, lunch, and dinner. And no smiles, no greetings…nothing. One morning, a waitress grabbed a spoon from my wife’s hand because it belonged to another station. Getting coffee in the morning was a disaster. And OJ? Wow, there were queues of guests (including me) every morning waiting for OJ. One morning I asked for more OJ; the waiter went into the kitchen to get some…but…he forgot. He returned after 30 minutes and casually stated that he had forgotten, meanwhile a dozen guests had formed a line, waiting for OJ. This behavior, I guess, was normal at the Grand Palladium.

Another example; we went to one of the a-la-carte restaurants to eat sushi. It turned out the food came directly from the morning’s buffet kitchen. The food was so bad and smelled like chemicals.

Another day we went to the “Poseidon”. A beachfront restaurant. I ordered Jerk Chicken. As I cut a piece of the mean…it started bleeding! Meaning it was not cooked. I’m sure you can imagine the anger raging out of me. Some food had sand in it! Not salt, not pepper…sand!

With the above in mind, everyone expected a tip! Really?

When I got home, and after publishing my negative reviews across a few websites, I got an email from the management team. It was an apology email, which included a special offer for our next stay at the Grand Palladium Montego Bay. Unbelievable!

In closing, my friends, go visit Jamaica! It’s beautiful, the locals are friendly, the “real” local food is tasty, and be sure to check out Negril:

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
6 Replies
Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Awesome pictures, Sam. I vote for that dolphin pic to be your new work email picture 😂

I need to start thinking about my vacation this year!

Agreed!

0 Likes

I hoped you didn't make too big of issue with the bad experiences even though I would have asked for a different room.

The food you can always eat somewhere else but at a Resort you would think they would have top-notched food to give their customer's a good experience and good reviews.

The Customer Service is something you can't really do much about. Complaining isn't going to change anything since most likely you aren't the first one to be dissatisfied with their Customer Service. If that is the way they run things they will be out business eventually.

Also Montego Bay has a high crime rate and gang activities and Jamaica, in general, has been put on alert for US  Citizens about going there.

But glad to hear you had fairly good time in Jamaica that has beautiful beaches and tropical weather and "Spicy" cuisine (Jerk plates especially).

Good thing that dolphin didn't fall in love with and started mating rituals by bumping you (-: .

I believe it was a "King of the Hill" episode where Hank entered a pool with dolphins and one of female dolphins started a mating ritual with him by bumping into him.

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Most vacations have their ups and downs, but that food quality would stop me in my tracks in terms of wanting to visit.  Sounds like you did the best you could to work around the discrepancies.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
eebiii
Forerunner

Looks like a great time!

akafractalz
Journeyman III

Those are some amazing photos. you really were able to capture some of the amazing views from your trip. i recently went on my first cruise and we stopped in the islands for a day and its was an amazing sight to see and quite different from the city view i'm sure most of us see everyday. Have you heard that there are places that let kids "ride" dolphins?

0 Likes