cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Frozen or Fresh?

Getting in on the Thanksgiving theme for this week.  I'm wondering how many families take advantage of the deals on frozen turkeys (as in 29 cents a pound that we found), and how many pay a few bucks more per pound for a fresh turkey.  Personally, I like to get more cluck for my buck.  How do you roll?

Here is the defrosted and cooked turkey from last year.Here is the defrosted and cooked turkey from last year.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
11 Replies
Axxemann
Forerunner

Last bird I bought was fresh. Mind you, finding a 10lb or smaller turkey is impossible most of the time. 

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My wife prefers a 13 lb. bird, assuming our normal amount of people at the dinner table.  This will be our first Thanksgiving without her father, who passed at the end of May (age 96).  She lost her mom in September 2019.  But, we have our son and grandkids to feed.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

I actually ended up doing a chicken one year because I couldn't find a tiny turkey. And to me, doing just a breast quarter isn't good. I prefer the thigh meat, and they never sell turkey leg quarters around here.

My go-to method is spatchcocked on the charcoal pit. Brine for a day or two in advance, pat it dry, hit it with some black pepper and garlic powder, throw it on a 400F pit rolling some pecan smoke, and baste with some hot garlic butter. Pull whenh the breast is reading 155 and the thighs are at 175-180.

Performance over Pretty.
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I like my turkey 'over-easy'.  My favorite joke in restaurants for things like steaks and fish.

lowteck
Miniboss

Fresh if there's no time to thaw, otherwise frozen is fine.

Either is delicious...

fresh or frozen.gif

Too Many CPUs & GPUs to list...
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Frozen was our grandkids favorite movie for a few years.

0 Likes
quentincrews
Adept I

Whatever is cheaper, but fresh when we buy a bird last-minute and don’t have time to thaw it out.

I forgot to post this year's Thanksgiving turkey.  It was a frozen one, bought at 29 cents per pound.  Great deal and it was delicious.

At 29 cents a pound, this 13 pound bird had a destiny with my mouth.At 29 cents a pound, this 13 pound bird had a destiny with my mouth.

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Most likely frozen.  We have several friends that deer hunt on us, for free, and they usually provide us with a turkey or ham.  My wife has a policy for the deer hunters, they hunt for free as long as they kill a deer.  We probably have 1 or 2 turkeys still in one of the freezers.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I've never liked the taste of venison.  Perhaps I need to find the right wine pairing.  Maybe Pinot Noir?

0 Likes
mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

I stock up on frozen on sale and put em in the freezer. Usually bacon wrap and do them on the Smoker now. 

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Noctua NH D15 - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 4TB Samsung Gen. 5 NVMe - Fractal Torrent Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED