cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

Favorite Party/Board Games?

As Sam mentioned to you all last week, Austin got hit with some nasty weather last week that left hundreds of thousands in the city without power for a variety of days.

I just got my power back this morning after it went down last Wednesday at 5 AM.

After my fiancee and I got used to the cold and dark, we realized we were SO BORED. We had a few board games, like Clue and Codenames, but definitely could have used some more 2-player options.

boardgames.JPG

So with that in mind, I was wondering if any of you all had some recommendations for fun party/board games? (2 players or more!)

31 Replies
Key-J
Paragon

It is hard for me to think of ones that are specifically 2 player. However, these are some fun ones.

• Sushi-Go
  • Throw Throw Burrito
  • Munchkins
  • Tapple
  • Catan
  • Codenames
  • Exploding Kittens

I really enjoyed Munchkins

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Throw throw Burrito is my favorite name now.

Exploding Kittens, that's cruel. lol

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Now that's an awesome topic!

I do have some and I did played a lot. Now with a baby its hard to find time, but He will grow and then maybe we can play together. Well.. Doom Board can wait a bit more lol.

- To get a family game started, play UNO!
- To get a family WAR started, play Monopoly!
- To make fun of others doin' funny stuff we have Party.
- The Educational Mars 2049 (MARTE 2049) good for kids.
- XCOM for single player board game against AI
- To round up those old school nerd friends, DOOM or Muchkins
- To get everyone confused, Clue (CLUEDO)

johnnyenglish_1-1675724027900.png

The Englishman
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I played a lot of "Don't Break The Ice" when I was a kid. We also had "Candy Land", and a standard deck of cards.

I just learned how to play "Speed" again after not playing it for nearly 10 years. 

I remember playing "Guess Who" "Battle Ship" and "Connect 4". 

There is actually a "Dark Souls" board game that I had fun with but it does take a little while to finish a campaign.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

A Dark Souls board game sounds kind of awesome... is it as hard as the real game though? hehe

It's fun and I would say it is difficult. You should look into it. Last time I played it was nearly two years ago so it is a little foggy but I do remember I had a blast.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Axxemann
Forerunner

TBH, I never did like board games. But I was always the one that got his butt kicked with bad rolls, crappy "Draw from this stack" cards, stuff like that. But then again, no one could beat Opa at Scrabble. My sister inherited his Scrabble set, because she was most indubitably the favorite grandkid. It now sits in a place of honor in her family room. If a game of Scrabble does happen, she has a regular set.

At least with a deck or two of regular playing cards, the odds were a bit more in my favor. I'm still the family poker champ, and I was pretty good at a game we called "Bull****" that I learned when I was on course as an Air Cadet in my teens. My other Opa was dominant at Canasta. Mom was the Cribbage King.

Performance over Pretty.

When in college my mom and her sister played Scrabble a lot.  They both had a vocabulary that I only wish I could achieve.  in the winter months, they would always talk me into playing with them and like you, I was just a third wheel. 

Those were the day's😊  

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

My wife Sandra always kicked my butt at Scrabble.  She is much smarter than I apparently.  Sadly, it's taken me so long to realize that!

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

A post around Christmas about the best gift you ever gave was up.  I had completely forgotten about this gift until this conversation about scrabble.  As I stated my mom was incredible at this game and she always wanted an unabridged dictionary.   In 1976 or 1977 my new wife and I got her an unabridged dictionary.  Mom cried when she unwrapped it.

GreatnessRD
Miniboss

• Uno
  • Monopoly
  • Trouble
  • Checkers
  • Spades

I'll give anybody the smoke in Uno. That's my joint. 😆

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)

Uno is the new monopoly in our house. Banned after a game got out of hand for one of my friends who I kid you not drew like 15 cards in one go. 😂

Amber_AMD
Community Manager

Oh man, this post is RIGHT up my ally. 

Before I get into games, I want to recommend Vigilante Gastro Pub in Austin. They have EVERY board game, and game masters that will guide and explain how to play every game. It's only $5 per person if I remember correctly. The funniest date night I've had with friends! 

Now, to our collection at home - 

8F7B3408-10B7-4938-9DEB-5789F10A3F3B.jpg

• Incoherent 
    • Hilarious, and full of laughs but only for so long. Gets old sometimes
  • House of Danger 
    • Honestly, we have this and haven't played it. But it's like a murder mystery-type game. Gives big dungeon and dragon vibes. 
  • Snakesss
    • You play with a group, and one person is a snake and lying while all the others are telling the truth. And you need to figure out who the snake is in the situation. V fun. 
  • Scattergories 
    • All time favorite word game on the planet. 
  • Wits and Wagers 
    • Has cards with range questions that like most people wouldn't know and you have to bet how close you are with your answer to being right. Really fun 
  • Bezzerwizzer 
    • Trivia game that honestly is very difficult for my brain to comprehend. 
  • The Fuzzies 
    • Very cute kerplunk-type game, but with fuzzy cotton balls. Has different rules to make it challenging, really recommend.
  • Herd Mentality 
    • There are questions and everyone writes down an answer, but you do NOT want to have the same answer as others. So you need to think outside of the box. 
  • A little wordy 
    • It's a two-player game we have but have not tried yet!
  • Quiddler 
    • A card word game that is so fun and gets your brain pumping. 
  • Yahtzee 
    • I do not need to explain this one I hope hahah 🙂 A classic. 
  • Bananagrams 
    • I feel like this is like freeform scrabble, but fun!! 
Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
morphinebear
Adept III

I've been looking to get into Stratego again but don't see an online version. Remember having a lot of fun with it.

I actually picked up Stratego recently (for the ice storm), but we haven't cracked it open yet!

johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Some photos to keep the topic fresh! 🤓

Cyberdeamon&Friends waiting for you!

johnnyenglish_0-1675898412657.png

Overview of the Board

johnnyenglish_1-1675898526725.png

XCOM Gameplay can be quite confusing

johnnyenglish_2-1675898624620.png

Fighting the Aliens
johnnyenglish_3-1675898830536.png

Deploying your Fighter Jets

johnnyenglish_4-1675898864333.png

The Englishman

These look insane. I'm very interested in the DOOM game...

I made a short game but long video about it.
I'm playing solo but its meant to be at least two persons (Marine VS Deamons) up to five (4x Marines VS Deamons)

Looks confusing at first, although its actually very easy and cyclic, you'll end up doing the same things till everyone gets fragged.

The fresh part, there is a campaign with several levels. Even if you end the 15 map you can build your own later. Lots of customizations to the marine as well, from medic, engineer, marksman, etc...

Lots of guns! Glory Kills! Double sided map pieces, but in the end... the Dice is calling the shots. 😉

The Englishman
Vynski
Exemplar

My 2 favorite board games:

1. Chess
  2. Trivial Pursuit

@Vynski wrote:

My 2 favorite board games:

1. Chess

KeyJ_0-1675971126259.gif

Ted @Sam_AMD 

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

No mention of Risk?  It's one game I'm good at.  

I like the idea of Global Domination.  Reminds me of Unreal.I like the idea of Global Domination. Reminds me of Unreal.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

It's funny now that I look back on my career.  For about five years, I was performing risk assessments at government installations.  I never thought about the connection to this game, but there it is.  

In 2010 my youngest did a thesis in economics on something similar to what you commented on in the connection.  He showed the connection of a computer game to real life experience.  He was selected by the university to give a presentation to the state legislature.

0 Likes

That is a great game! And you have so many versions now, like monopoly.

I've been wanting to grab this:

johnnyenglish_0-1676067795983.png

The Englishman

I really like Cards Against Humanity. Or alternatively, if you want something more family-friendly, then Codenames is a great game.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital

Stratego and Risk are best if you have tons of time. When limited on time I like operation it's so difficult for me lol. Also don't hate on Trouble

mengelag
Volunteer Moderator

Cards Against Humanity is the best game i've played ever. Risk would be a cloe second imo

Ryzen 7800X3D - RTX 4090 FE - ROG Strix B650E iGaming - 64gb 6000mhz G-Skill Neo - Arctic Liquid Freezer ii - ROG Loki Platinum 1000w SFXL - 5TB of Crucial P5 Gen. 4 NVMe - NR200P Case - ROG PG48UQ OLED

I've actually never played Risk but am interested... Is it one of those games that takes a while to grasp how to play, the rules, etc.?

0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

It's best when you have 4+ players, but I really enjoyed Jackbox and Cards Against Humanity. Both are best when half the players have a twisted sense of humor and the other half don't.

Vynski
Exemplar

Another one of my favorites, I guess you could call it a board game as well as a card game, Cribbage.  I learned to play that when I was in the Navy and have become quite good at it.

0 Likes