cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

red5
Miniboss

Do you save your boxes? Why or why not?

I just wondered what everyone else does. I typically don't save ALL my boxes, but I will for the important components. I have a bunch of boxes right now due to rebuilding my LAN gaming setup, but I'm not sure how long I'll keep them.

MNJH6060.JPG

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1085972132004991
Discord https://discord.gg/pttrmDpeVN
35 Replies
Justifier
Challenger

Nope. Tend to toss them asap.

I move around a lot. Tend to live in smaller spaces to save cash, and all of my old hardware goes to others in my family who are too young to work, or who are not in a position to get their hands on it at the time.

Boxes are just in the way for me, with two exceptions. I keep my computer's case box and the GPU box for when I move. While they're sitting there in my way, I tend to use them as my "computer component overflow" boxes Can always repurpose the next box if it's necessary, or repurpose a box from a different product

14900k • Z790 Apex Encore • 4090 • 2x24Gb-8000 • 1200 Corsair Shift • 420mm Arctic II Push-Pull • Noctua • Fractal Torrent • Guilded.gg/justifiers
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Yes Please!

I do save every box. I'm a..
what do you call it? A tech hoarder 😄

But a good tech Hoarder.

I had my youtube set covered with the old boxes, but now I'm renewing the set to a more modern look.

The Englishman

I try not to be a hoarder because my wife's grandfather was the type that should have been on TV.  However, I have the space in my basement to keep boxes for the time being, so why not?

rtbh99
Challenger

i keep all of my tech boxes in the box my pc case came in.

---
lets talk about rtbh99
GreatnessRD
Miniboss

I've started to keep boxes. I don't buy as much as the enthusiast of course, but when I do, its a special purchase and I need to keep the box, lol.

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes
SubtleIQ
Adept III

Yes most definitely but not every box,

I strongly recommend others do the same, but only your Monitor and Case box.  That way when you move you have a nice safe box to put your pc in.  I recommend saving console boxes and TV boxes for the same reason.  And even if you do not move, it is an easy way to make your PC, Monitor, TV, Gaming Consoles Hurricane resistant or flooding.  Put them in the box and wrap them up with garbage bags and your super all purpose duct tape.

Michael Alan Horton
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

I have my monitor boxes as they are still under warranty and plus if I move I want to pack them up securely.  My case is 13 years old so I no longer have its box but I would wrap it up I had to transport it over a long distance.  I also have the boxes of components that I'm not using. 

I used to be much worse about saving original packaging but I had the room for it and could shelve it out of the way in the garage.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I also save them for a while.  About 10 years ago, we heard a crash in the basement storage room.  I ran down there to find that a stack of boxes had fallen over.  It was at that time that I acknowledged that I had too many boxes, so a bunch of them went in the recycle bin.

I try to keep component boxes at least 90 days from when I open them, just in case I need to send something back.  How often do I return a computer component?  Maybe once in 20 years.

How often do you return a component?  Hardly ever...How often do you return a component? Hardly ever...

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Years ago the GPU boxes had some pretty interesting box art, and I think people saved them just for that. The art isn't nearly as interesting any more.

0 Likes
Amber_AMD
Community Manager

This is a good question. I pretty much keep all boxes, especially for tech accessories in case I want to sell them later or for moving later 🙂 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord
0 Likes
jamesc359
Forerunner

I tend to keep my boxes - with the intent of discarding them after I'm reasonably sure I won't need to return the component for RMA. However I usually end up keeping them for much longer than that and I end up with a room piled full of boxes. Going forward I'm trying to stop saving boxes... Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it.

0 Likes
Dragokar
Miniboss

I don't keep all of them, I keep the boxes for parts that I intend to keep after main rig usage and the parts that I “love”. However, I usually don't store monitor and case boxes.

0 Likes
Key-J
Paragon

I absolutely keep my boxes, until I don't need them.

Right now my RX480 is still sitting in its box after just upgrading it. Will figure out what to do with it soon.

I still have an old MB box that has a ton of random doodads in there.

Overall though, I try not to keep the boxes for solely aesthetic sake.

----------
**Canadian Gamer & Father - www.twitch.tv/AFKidsGaming** - Live Wed & Fri at 8:00pm PST - Come join!

Key-J

Don't recycle it, ever.  Take it to your grave.  I just recycled an old ATI 9800 PRO AGP card about 2 months ago and regretted it ever since.  The card still worked fine when I put it back in the "original box", but try to find an AGP board to put it in.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Actually I found a way to display the GPU's

https://youtube.com/shorts/VlSpqAgvqNE?feature=share

The Englishman

Uh, those are awesome!! @Sam_AMD - tagging you in this because I know you'll love it too. 

Best,
Your friend at AMD
PC specs | Twitter | Red Team Discord

Amber, I agree with you in response to johnnyenglish.  That is awesome.  I wish I had done something like that with my old video cards.  I would never have disposed of the ones that even went bad.  Have you watched any videos of these river tables woodworkers build.  Wouldn't that be neat to build an acrylic table with old video cards in it.  I've seen a couple where they use rifle cartridges and they are fantastic. 

0 Likes

That is pretty slick and I'd like to have something like that one day. But I'd LOVE to see it holding up a beefy 6950 XT or a 3090. Probably be struggling for its life! lol

Leonidas - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | MBA RX 6800 XT Midnight Black | Be Quiet 802 Silent Base (Main)
Maximus - Ryzen 7 3700x | Power Color Fighter RX 6700 XT | Fractal Ridge ITX Case (HTPC)
0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

You're right, don't try a beefy one, this is the schematic for a 2 slot graphics card.

But there are designs for a 3+ slot design.

Even test benches. I'm trying to find one suitable for my set.

The Englishman
0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

Looks like my closet.  Heck yes I save my boxes.  Might need one someday.  That's as good enough reason as any.

Sam_AMD
Community Manager

I recently built a gaming rig and "naturally" decided to keep all the boxes of the parts in the PC case box. But I'm planning on recycling them by the end of the month. I have done this for decades, I keep the boxes for a month or two just in case I need to return any of the parts. 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT
blazek
Volunteer Moderator

I used to, until I moved in a smaller space and had to throw out a lot of boxes 🙂

tgr486
Adept I

I don't keep boxes, never likely to resell so seems pointless to keep the boxes.

0 Likes
anselmakraus
Adept I

I sometimes do. For return/warranty purposes.

0 Likes
Pepe1
Adept II

Yes. I keep the boxes.

0 Likes
Mitsui14
Adept II

I usually keep the boxes for decoration purposes 😅 I think they look cool if you have the space!

20220905_0928142.jpg

Going old-school with that Sempron box 😄

Wally_AMD
Community Manager

I used to keep my boxes for a variety of things (PC parts, game consoles, etc.), but they started taking up too much space... I'm no longer a box hoarder. 😅

USN-DC2-RET
Adept I

I keep all boxes, all documentation, all accessories and spare parts, take lots of photos and videos, but I have an entire HVAC controlled shelf lined carpeted storage room 10 X 10 feet and 9 feet tall, specifically for this purpose, I keep moving boxes and other types of boxes and moving supplies in there as well...I have a moving business as well as IT business. Once the gear starts to get obsolete, if I haven't sold it, I may or may not keep the boxes, probably after 5 to 7 years. 

AMD 5950X, ASUS Dark Hero, Corsair 128G DP 3600 CL18, Corsair H170i 420mm AIO, ASUS RTX 3090 24G OC, Corsair AX 1600i, Samsung 980 Pro 2T X 2, Corsair 7000D Airflow, Samsung 32 @ 4K.

You are more organized than most of us.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
stateofdade
Adept I

I always resell my equipment because I keep them in top shape.  By providing the original packaging, it looks great and provides adequate protection for shipping.  Plus the buyer feels like they've gotten a product that was well cared for.  Sometimes I keep the parts for spares and it's easy to keep them from being damaged while in storage.

TR2
Adept III

Well I guess I have to say yes to some. The first thing I do is take photos of all the model and serial number tags. I keep mobo boxes, case boxes, and I keep a few gpu boxes but not all. I store all kinds of stuff in the mobo boxes till I retire the mobo. I have way too much stuff hanging around but I hate discarding older working hardware. AGP video cards anyone. I wish there was like a tech depot or a tech Goodwill. I know ebay is a solution but its more hassle than its worth. But I digress, the answer is yes to some. Tech boxes are pretty sturdy and can be used for storing lots of stuff. 

0 Likes
soullodolo
Adept III

After my 3rd time moving living by myself, I ditched all the boxes and never really missed the boxes. I only keep the box for monitor and chassis in case I need to move them in whole pieces.

Ryzen 7 5800x (Desktop), Ryzen 7 6800H (Laptop)

Some boxes I toss away, like those for my case, but I try to save the smaller ones, like GPU and CPU boxes for when I sell them.

電腦 : 5800X3D • Sapphire Pulse 6800XT • 32GB 3600 • B550 Tomahawk • Superflower 850W Gold • Phanteks 400A Digital
0 Likes
mrpipster
Adept II

Yes, I save mine.

Great to have if I sell on a component.

I try to cram the all in the case box so they are all together for that build. Also there are usually spare drive caddys and CPU cables hanging around, so it's good to know where they are kept.

But... I'm moving house soon, so I might have to ditch some older Boxes. 😭