cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Off Topic Discussions

Dragokar
Miniboss

a little weekend trip to Strasbourg

I would like to share some of my/our impressions from our weekend trip to Strasbourg in the Alsace (France).  We had not the best of sunny weather, but it wasn't cold either. The city itself is absolutely amazing. It is so old from a history standpoint but also so modern. They host the European Parliament and many other European stuff. It also absolutely pretty with the old buildings and architecture on one hand but smart social engineered living spaces within the “higher value” regions in the city. The local transport system is so easy to understand, and you can use the Bus or Tram to basically get anywhere. Also, many people just walk or drive by bike, in the opposite too northern America.

The history of the region itself is also quite impressive, since they are Alsace people and they have their own language which is very close to german, even if most speak just french, english and german. The is a beautiful district called "petit france" which is absolutely amazing....but got named after the french army “introduced” syphilis to the city and people with it got put there 😉 We loved to walk through the Orangerie, the many parks and Universities. I can't stress enough how old this city is and on the other side so focussed on education and the European idea.

We simply had a wonderful weekend. I linked the city and the region above, if you want to know more about it. Below are some picture if you like to watch.

signal-2024-03-17-17-22-15-254-29.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-2.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-5.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-6.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-8.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-15.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-18.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-23.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-29.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-25-58-423-31.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-2.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-3.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-4.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-6.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-10.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-11.jpgsignal-2024-03-17-17-29-37-175-13.jpg

1 Solution
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Great pictures.  We have been to Europe several times and there is just so much to see and learn.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Sam_AMD
Community Manager

Thank you for sharing! Looks amazing.

How is the local cuisine? 

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

Well we had a lot of Tarte (Flammkuchen) and Crêpes and the most local thing is pickled cabbage with sausages (Sauerkraut). They also have very good gingerbread. The kitchen overall is more into the german region beside the Tarte. They have very common things like Spätzle in Baden-Württemberg. So they got influenced a lot by the french cuisine, but it is still very robust food.

The good thing is, you can get everything there, there is no lack of Restaurants for any direction you want to eat.

I've had pickled cabbage with sausages numerous times, especially when I lived in Europe. And normally have a jar of sauerkraut in our pantry.

Sam
Your biggest fan!
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT

I keep a jar in my fridge. Makes for a tasty, salty, sour, crunchy snack right out of the fridge 🙂

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes

German food in that part of France isn't surprising. It was part of Germany up until 1918. Actually, it was a heavily contested area between the French and Germans for a few forevers leading up to that point.

Just like the part of Poland my maternal grandmother (ethnic German, like the rest of my ancestors) was born in, just outside of what the world knows as Gdansk. It will always be Danzig in my family 😛

Performance over Pretty.
0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Great pictures.  We have been to Europe several times and there is just so much to see and learn.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

Well my visit in the states is more than twenty years ago but at least what I can tell from the outside is that you have a beautiful country, but you lost your soul. I don't want to be rude or mean, it is just the outside view for me.

However one day I will return but I invite anyone to visit the world anyway. Things are much easier to understand when you actually visit placed and talk to people in real life.

There is way more than black and white, right or wrong, good or evil and people are about to forget that.

"but you lost your soul. I don't want to be rude or mean, it is just the outside view for me."

What a BS blanket statement. Probably from someone who knows nothing about history and politics and most likely never served anything greater than himself. See I can do the same thing. It is offensive.

0 Likes

And I don't feel offended that easy. That's the difference. 😉

It is simple for me, I could say that no North American citizen has any right whatsoever except the indigenous people. That would be a bold statement and cause some disturbance, but I did not claim that, even if there might be a piece of truth in there.

History is easy to misunderstood and misread, as clearly you were triggered so easily.  Since you made assumptions about my life and my history, which I did not made about yours 😉

I simply stated my point of view from MY experiences and knowledge and yes I do KNOW US and Canadian citizens and visited many places in Europa and a trip to Daytona Beach in  in the early 2000s.

From what I am being told and what I can see, things changed into a triggered nation and that is sad.

Don't know why I triggered you though 🙂

If you don't have anything topic related, please stay away in the future.

*ontopic*

I can only give thumbs up for the city, the area and the experience with our host Jean-Philippe and Joel.

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

We all should stay away from politics and related issues.  

Instead, let's talk about our travel adventures in a positive light.  Take our month spent on a Grand France wine cruise about a year ago.  Being a lover of wine, this was my kind of vacation!

The organ inside a Bordeaux church.The organ inside a Bordeaux church.

Low tide along the Bordeaux coast.Low tide along the Bordeaux coast.

I have some more to show if you like:

signal-2024-03-17-17-22-15-254-13.jpg

Come on now, @eebiii... The Euros will always see us North Americans as colonies and settlements.

Just remember you have the defense budget to take on all the Gods and every nation simultaneously, and wear one of the most resource rich countries on the planet as a hat. 😉

Performance over Pretty.