Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newcomers Start Here

gruuli
Journeyman III

FFmpeg / OBS Studio / Questions

Hello dear community,

I have some questions about OBS Studio regarding ffmpeg options and recent changes with the new 24.1.1 driver. Let's start with the first one I have a question about, AMD says the following:

"Earlier in February 2023, we announced new streaming capabilities including various technologies such as the pre-filter toggle, pre-analysis feature and Content Adaptive Machine Learning (CAML) text-detection technology – all features to improve videos. With today’s software update, we’re bringing improvements to these features so that gamers can be future-ready, with support for up to 4k resolution for even greater clarity. Further optimizations have been made to the video encode support within AMD Software so that users with HEVC, AVC and AV1 encoders can experience higher quality recording and streaming within AMD Software. Be sure to keep an eye out as well, as AMD continues to work with partners to bring these video enhancements and features to 3rd party apps for greater support."

So these improvements (filters such as pre-an. CAML etc.) are currently only available in the driver, i.e. when recording or streaming with it and not yet for third-party providers such as OBS Studio, right? (something that now follows speaks against this)

I have also noticed that the following ffmpeg options no longer work in OBS Studio (since the new driver) or it is very laggy, previously it worked without any problems: (0 b frames) BReferenceEnable=True HighMotionQualityBoostEnable=False EnableVBAQ=False EnablePreAnalysis=True RateControlPreanalysisEnable=1 AdaptiveMiniGOP=True RateControlSkipFrameEnable=False PATemporalAQMode=1 PAHighMotionQualityBoostMode=1 PASceneChangeDetectionEnable=False PAFrameSadEnable=True

Regardless of what the cause is now, this suggests that things have already been changed inside the AMD's AVC encoder (using OBS) since the new driver, right?

For the last question, who can help me (which category here in the forum) can I turn to when it comes to ffmpeg options, i.e. recommendations and experiences of others regarding to further improve the quality (with new driver and OBS)?

Many thanks to everyone! I've only recently got an AMD graphics card (7800 XT, previously always Nvidia) and am currently doing a lot of learning and experimenting myself with it. 🙂

Ryzen 5600X / XFX 7800 XT
0 Likes
0 Replies