cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

frenes
Journeyman III

XFX 5700 XT burn on gold finger

Hi. Suddenly feel burning smell. Burning on gold finger. Is still under warranty. Bought in china reseller. But im in Malaysia. Who can repair in Malaysia and why the finger burn? Is the psu issue/ motherboard issue? Pls help

20211218_202427.jpg

0 Likes
2 Replies

By the burnt gold pins on the GPU card it looks like it had a large short to have occurred. Not sure if those 3 Gold pins is where the GPU gets it power from the Motherboard or not.

Either the GPU shorted out or something in the motherboard caused a short in its PCIe slot which also damaged the GPU card.

Did you drop anything on the motherboard while it was turned on? Like any type of liquids or small metallic pieces? A small insect like an ant or roach can also short out the GPU card or motherboard.

Did you have any Black or Brown outs - Your power flickered or went out and then came back on again. Because that could cause a large power surge spike when Power is turned back on again and cause the motherboard or GPU card to short out.

Then again it could be due to the fact that the GPU card was cheaply made with poor quality electronic components and burned out under normal use.

I would try and see if they will replace it under Warranty and get a new GPU card. Looks like the damage is more extensive than the Gold pins on the GPU card.  Looks like the PCB and several other electronic components also overheated when the short occurred.

Hopefully the Chinese Reseller will replace the GPU card under Warranty.

You also might want to physically check the motherboard and see if you see any other place that shorted out due to the short on the PCIe slot.

See if the PCIe Slot (Pins or Contacts) where the GPU card was installed is damaged due to the short. If it is I suggest you purchase a new Motherboard.

Honestly, I believe it probably will cost you as much to repair the GPU card as it would cost to purchase a new or used one.

0 Likes

'bought in china reseller'.

If that was a private seller, then no AMD warranty.  

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes