Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jlamazon
Adept II

video freezes using 5700G GPU on Windows 10

Hi,

I think there is a problem with AMD drivers for 5700G GPU:

when I watch a x264 movie encoded with some "high" bitrate (about 10Mb/s), I experience freezes from time to time. Video just stops for a couple of seconds and resumes.

This is happening with VLC or Media Player Classic players when using GPU to decode. Using CPU, it just works fine.

I tried the same test on Ubuntu 20.04 with VLC: no freeze at all using either CPU or GPU.

So I believe there is a bug on Ryzen 5700G x264 video decoding driver for Windows 10.

I tried some parameter changes AMD Software: Adrenalin 22.4.2 or previous one, no changes.

Can you please help?

Thanks,

Jean

1 Solution
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi,

I installed Adrenalin 23.7.1 as I read it comes from 23.10 branch and the results are WAY better: no more freeze during playing; just when moving the position in the movie.

On the samples I posted, it freezes at the beginning but not after.

So yes, BIG improvement! Many thanks to you fsadough!

Cheers,

Jean

View solution in original post

123 Replies
fsadough

Did you install the AMD Chipset driver?

0 Likes

Yes, as part of optional Adrénalin installer

0 Likes

Then you should open a support ticket.

0 Likes

Hi,

I already open a ticket to AMD using AMD report Tool (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/amdbrt) 4 days ago but so far no feedback.

0 Likes

What is your ticket number?

0 Likes

I didn't get any ticket number; just a message saying that I'll be contacted by email. But I wasn't.

I filled in the report in French (as downloaded AMD report tool is in French), may I should have it filled in english?

Just sent another one in english, no ticket number. I generated a 7z file containing screenshots of process and generated bug report at: http://vision.atari.org/download/5700GGPUIssue.7z

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

You must have received a ticket number. It will be generated automatically.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

0 Likes

For some reason I can't post here; it is classified as spam when I include ticket number

0 Likes

That's crazy... Can't find a way to make it work.

Another try: http://vision.atari.org/download/tn.txt

0 Likes

Just got a response from AMD asking for more details. Actually, support ticket end up with 146 not 147.

Sorry, I probably won't be much help, but I have to ask whether you did a clean installation/upgrade of Windows or whether you just let Windows do it's thing. I ask this because if you just do a regular reinstall or upgrade, Windows will carry over some problems to the new installation. What you need to do to really fix Windows problems is create a bootable flash drive (or whatever as long as it's an external device), boot with it by going into the BIOS, and then select "Custom Install" and go through the options there to get a clean installation.

0 Likes

Hi, 

It's a clean install,  just done few months back...

0 Likes

Hi,

2 weeks I created this ticket, sent back some information as requested (dxdiag, msinfo reports), pinged again for a response but so far no feedback.

I'm more and more convinced that this 5700G has some really poor performance (or bug) regarding some x264 profiles. All what I tested with x265 is smooth.

Quite disappointing for a recent processor.

0 Likes

Hi,

still no feedback fro AMD about ticketno:[8201200146] after 3 weeks.

If someone has a mean to bring AMD some attention to it, I'll appreciate.

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

Hi,

sent again a report via https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form and amdbugreporttool.exe a week ago.

No response, AMD doesn't care.

Very disappointed, using CPU to watch movies, not that a big deal but came to know that AMD is not looking into a reported issue. Won't make same error again.

0 Likes

Will look into it.

0 Likes

The response was sent to you by AMD Customer Care on June 7th and since you didn't reply back within 10 days, the ticket got closed automatically. 

0 Likes

If you enable your PM I can send you the response sent by AMD Customer Care on June 7th.

0 Likes

Hi fsadough,

thanks for looking into this. Silly question probably but I can't see from where I enable PM (looked into my settings-->..) but did not find. On top ribbon, I can see the notification bell and AMD logo (with my login name).

I did not get response from June 7th, but I responded to the one I received on May 17th for which I sent dxdiag (in .txt) & msinfo32 logs.

You can send also the June 7th response to jlamazon<at>free.fr

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

Check your email

0 Likes

Your message to jlamazon@free.fr couldn't be delivered.

When Office 365 tried to send your message, the receiving email server outside Office 365 reported an error.

0 Likes

Hi fsadough,

weird, O365 is the only one failing to send a message to this address.

Please try sending it to strangersinthenight<at>free.fr

0 Likes

Your message to strangersinthenight@free.fr couldn't be delivered.

When Office 365 tried to send your message, the receiving email server outside Office 365 reported an error.

0 Likes

That's crazy, there should be something with this outside Office 365.

Please try jlusetti<at>gmail.com

0 Likes

Hi,

communication is OK using gmail. Responded to AMD Customer Care.

Thanks for your efforts Farhad

Hi,

I'm sorry to inform you that AMD french support decided to not go further with this ticket 2973370 because the video I sent to repro is not "original" and according to them is the source of this issue. I jus received customer survey without even ticket officially closed.

That sounds crazy to me as ONLY AMD GPUs (at least 5700G and RX 580 as confirmed by AMD support) fail to decode this video (even my mobile phone A50 does it smoothly!) but it is what it is.

I'll find some other way to discuss this issue and let you know about.

Cheers,

Jean

0 Likes

Can you provide another video clip? Any clip we try from the net works just fine. 

0 Likes

Hi fsadough,

will provide a couple of more videos failing to decode on AMD GPU on Friday probably.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem is almost always you didnt purchase the licenced HEVC video extension decoder from microsoft app store for $1

listed by microsoft corp. then play it back using windows photos app or mediaplayer app. 

Or you are maybe using incorrect fake player software. since many players are open source they are fake version of source code of a different one. You probably rather stupidly use free codec pack which riddled PC with viruses or install third party overclocking or monitoring software which is NOT part of the amd adrenaline software or ryzen master.

You should if you have multiple monitors set them to the same refresh rate and ensure you are not exceeding the bandwidth of your display cable, or the ports of your hardware 2.0B cant do FULL SCRGB 444 HDR 120hz above 1080p.

if you've an ultrawide load of cheap monitor you must halve the height resolution vertical. So if you want to game in 1080p set it to 720p. if you want to game in 4k set it not to 2160p that doesnt exist for those displays it says half that 1440p.

I am familiar with ancient very old not too great VLC player that simply takes a bunch of old dos trash and puts old linux codecs which as super fake and inferior into one complete package built into the player but many modern features are absent. 

You would honestly be better off running KODI. and even thats not the greatest either honestly and has issues with WASAPI not working for reasons unknown? and the direct sound maybe causes some strange distortion or rather normalization issues.

Another alternative player altnerative is KMplayer reloaded or DAUM potplayer. pot player being open source KM player recompiled with some better filters and plugins and settings installed.

but i'd just stick with windows media player for most things and make a text file called config.ini and enable things like HARDWAREHEVCDECODING 

DXVA2 

DIRECTVIDEOTRANSPORT 

DIRECT3D12RENDERER VULKANRENDERER DIRECTDRAWRENDERER

RENDERDIRECTTODISPLAY 

EXCLUSIVEMODE 

AVX AV1 CAS VRS AMF advancedmediaframework DIRECTML SAM

infinityresolution 1024xtessellation 32xEQsupersampling

D3DMA VMA 

FS2

antilag

asynchronouscompute augmentedenhancedultramaxfull3dvcache1000xFFx1000000000++++++ANEXT

augmentedenhancedultramaxfullSIMDDISMMISDSSD1000xFFx1000000000++++++ANEXT

augmentedenhancedultramaxfullresizablebar1000xFFx1000000000++++++ANEXT

augmentedenhancedultramaxfullinfinitycache1000xFFx1000000000++++++ANEXT

augmentedenhancedultramaxfullinfinityfabric1000xFFx1000000000++++++ANEXT

i actually have a much much bigger custom config file that turns on more stuff and is rather good i think for a mentally ill man typing AMD display driver words in to try and guess how to use his true military super computer hardware from AMD.

well i found some words on AMD website others on AMD's GPUopen.com

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/prpl1rbp1o8h1/COMPUTERSYSTEMGLOBALDIRECTKERNELMODE

0 Likes

Hi eccentric,

thanks for the suggestions, I'll give this a try in about 10 days as I don't have access to my PC at this time.

Some answers in the meantime:

- I'm only using 1 monitor 1440p

- I downloaded official VLC and MPHC packages, I have no doubt about that

Again, what puzzles me is that this x264 profile fails to decode ONLY with AMD GPUs which uses an  unexpected amount of GPU resources trying to decode it. x265 videos play smoothly with AMD GPU and even an old CPU (i3 mobile from 2008) decodes this video smoothly.

Would be nice if people could share their outcome on this sample file:

http://vision.atari.org/download/aliens.mkv

(make sure you use GPU decoding).

Does it plays smoothly on your configuration (please state your CPU/GPU/player)?

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi all,

I tried KM Player: very same result.

Here is a picture of what happens during playing: high GPU "Video Codec 0" usage show exactly when freezes (of many seconds) happen:

gpu_high.jpg

To me, it's like the AMD GPU is not powerfull enough to decode this x264 profile, nothing related to player. The only way to have a smooth rendering is to use CPU instead of GPU, whatever the player is.

Would be nice if some people can tell if this file fails to decode on their GPU.

Cheers,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi,

again a new test confirming AMD GPU decoding is wrong: this file (http://vision.atari.org/download/aliens.mkv) decodes perfectly smooth on an Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10850H UHD Graphics.

0 Likes
fsadough

The link you provided, does not work. I would like to investigate this problem and find the root cause. Can you send all the screenshots, video clips, system info (AMDZ Report) via WeTransfer. 

AMDZ Report

- Please extract the amdz-v314.zip from https://we.tl/t-iASfSZuluc

- Run amdz.exe file as an Administrator

- Select “Save All“ and “TXT“ as the output format

- Click on the blue button to save the report

- The .txt file will be saved in the same folder where you extracted the zipped file

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

thanks for coming back to me, really appreciate.

He is the WeTransfer link:

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/be86f2d97deb5224a1e27745ff8f74d620220902145752/bb5d3529600b097181b6...

BTW, sorry for the wrong URL, here it is fixed: http://jlusetti.free.fr/download/aliens.mkv

This time, I have double-checked both URLs

Thanks again,

Jean

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Hi fsadough,

any update? WOuld be great to have your outcome.

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes

Not yet, I will update the thread once I repro'ed

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

OK, thanks let me know in case you can't repro it, it should be very visible as soon GPU is decoding the video.

0 Likes

It is repro'ed on Windows and escalated. Need to check on Linux.

0 Likes
jlamazon
Adept II

Great

I tried on Linux, it worked with VLC. However I don't think the GPU is used, it's not clear but I would bet I was not able to decode the video using the GPU and CPU was always used.

Thanks,

Jean

0 Likes