cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

skippyau_
Journeyman III

Vega 64 Crash Under Load

I own a PowerColor Vega 64 Liquid Cooled and for the most part, it runs okay.

Only recently have I overclocked my monitor to 75hz, allowing me to get the card to run much faster and in turn forcing it to hit 100% usage. This is a problem as after around 5 - 15 minutes under this load, my screen will go black for 15 seconds and the game along with the AMD Radeon software crashes. The temps never seem to go over 50c so I don't understand what is happening?

Anyone have ideas. I tried emailing NewEgg (the supplier) but they couldn't help as its been 6 months since I got the card and then Powercolor but they never respond to emails.

0 Likes
5 Replies
rclv
Adept I

Did it happen if you turn the monitor refresh rate back to normal?

Vega 64 has the Vega 10 processor which is relatively big chip, after few months running it could start to partially dried out on this big chip's thermal paste, Radeon softare might not detect that since the reported temp is average.

Try GPU-z to spot if you get over heat Download TechPowerUp GPU-Z | TechPowerUp , check the second tab [sensors] to verify the temp again.

If you do find a overheat spot then you need to reapply a new thermal paste to cover the overheat area.

It is up to you to do it or RMA to power cool to fix it for you.

Good luck

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Can you specify your PSU?
Also, after updating AMD display driver, go to WattMan, reset WattMan settings and reboot your PC.

0 Likes

I currently use a Corsair TX850M and the other one I use as a backup is a Coolermaster GX550.

Drivers are up to date and I tried resetting all WattMan settings but this had no effect on the issue.

0 Likes

Your PSU is more than enough. I've been using AMD for years, but I don't have Vega. If I were you, I'd try these.

I would connect the graphics card to the PSU with two different power cable.
I'd go to the WattMan settings and I used to make all automatic settings to "manual". Then I would lower the boost clock speed by 50 Mhz. And I'd restart the PC.
Then I would install FurMark and do a stabilization test at 800x600 resolution without AA.
I would try to solve the problem with these experiments.
Good luck...

0 Likes

sounds like you may need to refurbish the video card

I have a big tube of Arctic MX-4 and I have fixed the cooler on several cards successfully

there are lots of videos on youtube showing how to do it easily